Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Bookbee
Bookbee began at the beginning.

Device: jasondavis
Low-end vendor Kogan launching new eReader in Australia

Got a press release from Kogan today - they do cheaper Audio-visual gear in Asia and Australasia.
Now they do eReaders, apparently - you can pre-order the Kogan "Reader" (imaginative!) now for free delivery about August 20.
At $A189, it looks like it could be competition for the Kobo Reader: 6-inch e-ink screen, Linux OS, ePUB, PDF and lots of other formats, 2GB onboard memory with extra SD card slot and a ridiculous 1500 pre-loaded titles! Don't get too excited though - most of them are dodgy, even in the world of public domain ebooks! You can pre-order
[Promotional links deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-14-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Bookbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I wonder what a "4 bit, 6" e-ink screen" is? I'm assuming 4 shades of grey?

Anyone have an idea of what this is a rebrand of?

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
4 bit would be 16 shades of grey.

2 to the 4th power=16
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Very interesting. I would hope that they approach the Kobo side of functionality and not the more expensive and less capable ereaders that Officeworks are currently spruiking.

Competition is a good thing. I wonder if Sony are going to be selling their ereaders at a comparable price come this August.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
[QUOTE=Bookbee;1018012]
At $A189, it looks like it could be competition for the Kobo Reader: [QUOTE]

Could be apart from the problem is that 90% of the Australian public have no idea of the Kogan brand and because they have no store fronts no one will see it. I think the success of the kobo in Australia is the fact that people can play with it. When I've been in Borders there is always someone trying to get one to work (either touching the screen or pressing the side buttons).

I had a laugh when I looked at their book list, just a huge bank of .txt files. Hopefully it will be better than the officeworks and JB Hifi ones that are out there. Hmm Its not a Jetbook is it? The buttons on the side remind me of them.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 01:39 AM   #6
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=roguefan99;1018176]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookbee View Post
Hmm Its not a Jetbook is it? The buttons on the side remind me of them.
No, it is not a Jetbook. I am not sure of it's ancestry. someone is bound to know!

I remember the big fanfare about Kogan several years ago. They were touted to be the biggest thing since sliced bread but that never eventuated.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #7
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
No, it is not a Jetbook. I am not sure of it's ancestry. someone is bound to know!

I remember the big fanfare about Kogan several years ago. They were touted to be the biggest thing since sliced bread but that never eventuated.
I think that is because people quickly realised that to a large extent you do get what you pay for when it comes to LCD and plasma tv's and things of that nature. Kogan basically took old model panels, put them together with low end processors and sold them cheap. The results are ok for a cheap tv but they are still a cheap tv.

Hopefully if this is just a rebranding of another ereader that kind of problem can be avoided. Assuming of course that the reader is decent itself. It might make a nice one for my wifes birthday in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 07-21-2010, 04:29 AM   #8
PKFFW
Wizard

Having now had time to search through the wiki, this looks like the Oaxis Digibook ADB-106 reader.

Anyone had a test drive of one? Know of any reviews?

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 07-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #9
sabredog

Here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64209

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=OAXIS

and here

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/OAXIS

No review that I can find though
Old 07-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #10
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

it seems to have a lot to offer, but I know nothing about the quality.

For our trans-Pacific cousins, the Aussie dollar is worth about 15% less than the USD - allowing for fluctuations, exchange rate fees and so forth. So at around say USD$160, it isn't too bad. Bear in mind that there is a mob that sells the Sony PRS-600 locally for AUD$550-ish, so something coming in at around a third of that has its attractions to the locals.

I note that the Oaxis referred-to earlier has wi-fi, but the Kogan does not. Not sure if the display can be rotated, either. I have other questions about it too. But the range of formats is appealing.

I'm still looking for a reader...

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
ajaynaidu
ajaynaidu began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi all,

it seems to have a lot to offer, but I know nothing about the quality.

For our trans-Pacific cousins, the Aussie dollar is worth about 15% less than the USD - allowing for fluctuations, exchange rate fees and so forth. So at around say USD$160, it isn't too bad. Bear in mind that there is a mob that sells the Sony PRS-600 locally for AUD$550-ish, so something coming in at around a third of that has its attractions to the locals.

I note that the Oaxis referred-to earlier has wi-fi, but the Kogan does not. Not sure if the display can be rotated, either. I have other questions about it too. But the range of formats is appealing.

I'm still looking for a reader...

Cheers,

From the Kogan website, there seems to be a rotate option. the nook wifi does not have that option.
And it does look a lot like the oaxis reader sans the wifi which was a decent ereader. At AUD 189 and freebies like free shipping, a case and headphones, it seems like a deal.
ajaynaidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 AM   #12
PKFFW
Wizard

I don't care about the lack of wi-fi and at $189 it does look like a good deal.

I'd like to know more about the processor speed(is an Arm 9 core good? Fast?) and the software functionality before I think about buying one though. As most of us know, poor reader software functionality can really kill an ereader.

Hopefully Kogan offers some sort of money back guarantee so you can have a play with it and if you don't like it can send it back.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 07-26-2010, 03:10 AM   #13
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

did I miss info about DRM support for the device? I've checked several times, but that doesn't mean the information isn't there.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:52 AM   #14
Lush
Connoisseur
Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kindle 3, KPW, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi all,

did I miss info about DRM support for the device? I've checked several times, but that doesn't mean the information isn't there.

Cheers,
Hi Mick,

I too couldn't find any info about DRM support & wondered about deleting the preloaded ebooks, so emailed some questions last week.
See below for Kogan's response,

Lush

We have tested the Kogan eBook Reader with a number of DRM-protected
eBooks from various online stores.
Our results have shown that through the use of Adobe Digital Editions,
the Kogan eBook Reader is able display these files in their correct
format.

When the Kogan eBook Reader is connected to Adobe Digital Editions,
the software will connect to the Adobe servers and authorise the
device.

The Kogan eBook Reader will work with eBooks which can be loaded
through Adobe Digital Editions or directly to the device (if the book
is DRM free).

You will indeed be able to delete the pre-loaded books.

Kindest Regards,
Charleen
Lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:25 AM   #15
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Non-Australians want to know: What is "spruiking"?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, ereader, kogan