Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
ePUB comic test

Hi, this is a test of a comic in ePUB format. It's only the first 6 strips of Krazy Kat available from the Comic Strip Library. Since reading the whole page at the same time would be hard in 6" readers, I decided to put each panel on a separate page, this has the advantage of not seing what'll happen in the story until you reach there. A small image of the whole page is shown at the beginning of each strip, it is an image map where each panel links to the large version, but I don't know if any ePUB reader supports image maps.

Comments? Suggestions?

P.S. I've just tried with ADE and only the first and last items of the TOC are working, I can't see why
Attached Files
File Type: epub KrazyKat.epub (5.56 MB, 1585 views)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
P.S. I've just tried with ADE and only the first and last items of the TOC are working, I can't see why
Unless I'm missing something, the TOC works fine in ADE. I can click on every entry from 23 April to 28 May and it jumps to the correct comic.

[Vista SP1 64bit; also, ADE v1.7.1.1085]

Last edited by Valloric; 05-22-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: ADE info
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Works here too, but it might be that if the ADE's not got a big enough window, jumping to some pages just shows the header then there's a page split, so it appears blank?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Strange, it works fine now. The window was big enough, it was just the TOC links doing nothing, but it seems it was a temporary problem.

Do you think this is a good system for comics, at least for these comics?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I think it was a problem with the anchor names starting with a number (that's not allowed).

This is a larger file with more strips... Any comments? Is it worth to continue with this "project"?
Attached Files
File Type: epub KrazyKat.epub (12.20 MB, 1084 views)
Advert
Old 06-27-2009, 05:52 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

No one?
Old 06-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Jaro
Jaro began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505,pocketbook 602
I have used sony eBook library to get it into my prs 505. It looks very nice.But the second part-some pictures have grey background.

Last edited by Jaro; 06-27-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Jaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaro View Post
I have used sony eBook library to get it into my prs 505. It looks very nice.But the second part-some pictures have grey background.
Can you tell me which ones? I feel the PNG support in the ADE engine (which Sony uses) is not complete, and I tried to optimize the size of the PNGs without reducing the quality...
Old 06-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Jaro
Jaro began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505,pocketbook 602
page 2 the good one is 12
page 5 the good one is 18
page 8 no one picture is without grey
page 13 the good one is 5
page 16 the good one is 11
page 18 no one picture is without grey
Its readabile and the gray backgroud difer in intensity.
Jaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I think the problem appears when an image has less than 16 (?) colours, and I'm sure it's a bug in ADE, at least other browers and image viewers have no problem displaying those images.

Now, how should we report this to Adobe? (Peter?)
Old 02-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
ralphsnart
ralphsnart began at the beginning.

Device: none
Comic Book Test

There's a ePUB comic book test here.
ralphsnart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
Anders
Enthusiast
Anders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Very interesting initiative. I have tried to find comics for ebooks some time.

I have made a epub of one of my comics. It is a "pantomime" comic, i.e. without words (that is how we call it in swedish, not sure you say that in english). Anyway it works fine in my prs300. I will publish it here on the site when I work out how to do that.

Generally speaking I think the japanese "manga" format should work fine on eReaders. No need to change the layout as it is already pocket book size.

Keep on the good work.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #13
Anders
Enthusiast
Anders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enough

Got it

I finally understood how to attach files. So here goes my epub comic. I made it from the template on http://www.jedisaber.com/eBooks/tutorial.asp

If anybody wants to try it, I will be glad to get comments. It works fine on my prs-300. But as it has one of the smaller screens on the market, I would be interested to hear how it goes on bigger screens.

I will also try using the templates from Jellby and ralphsnart in this thread to see if it looks better
Attached Files
File Type: epub Harda Bud - Anders.epub (2.14 MB, 565 views)
Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Looks good.
You might want to wrap the images in svg so that they scale and keep their aspect ratio whatever the aspect of the reader. Since your comic pages are all 449x649, try replacing the code of the body with
<svg version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 449 649" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" >
<image width="449" height="649" xlink:href="images/h01.jpg" />
</svg>
(Obviously change the 'h01.jpg' to point to the right image in each case.)

There are a few things you need to tidy up:
1) Change the encoding directive in your xhtml files (it's the first line) from
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
to
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
2) Remove all the unneeded files (toc blank.ncx etc), and definitely remove page-template.xpgt
3) Your xhtml files need a <title> element in the head, even if it's just blank, so add
<title />
to the heads of them all.
4) Your xhtml files don't actually load the css file and define all their styling information individually. You certainly want to change that. Remove
<style type="text/css" title="override_css">
@page {padding: 0pt; margin:0pt}
body { text-align: center; padding:0pt; margin: 0pt; }
div { margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; }
</style>
and replace it with
<link rel="stylesheet" href="stylesheet.css" type="text/css" />
You'll probably want to put the @page and body definitions in your stylesheet file.
5) You don't actually have a toc.ncx file. You need one, even if it only contains one navpoint. The media-type declared for it in the opf needs to be "application/x-dtbncx+xml"
6) The opf file needs to include all the jpegs in the manifest section.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #15
Anders
Enthusiast

Thank you Charleski for having a look at it, and for all the advises.

I will try to make the changes this week-end. I am new to this. So far I just use other epub as templates and hope for the best. Really appreciate your help.

Tags
comics, test