Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
chrissy
Enthusiast
chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Amazon Kindle/Sony PRS-700/Sony PRS-505 Comparison Photos

I was at the Sony Style store on Madison Avenue here in New York over the past weekend, and the Reader Revolution rep there was kind enough to let me snap a few photographs of the PRS-700 and PRS-505 display units with my Amazon Kindle. I thought I'd share the (admittedly amateurish) pix here in case anyone else was interested in how these three devices looked compared to each other -- I know I certainly was!

PS: And no, those are not my fingers in the photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg
Views:	2546
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	18209

Name:	IMG_0412.jpg
Views:	2280
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	18210

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg
Views:	2244
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	18211

Name:	IMG_0416.jpg
Views:	2153
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	18212
chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I'm getting an 'invalid' on all of the links............
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
chrissy
Enthusiast
chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The pix weren't displaying properly for some reason and I had to redo the upload. Try refreshing the thread now?
Old 11-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
What font size is the Kindle using? 3?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
chrissy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
What font size is the Kindle using? 3?
The very smallest possible, because I don't already get enough eye strain from the computer monitor at work.
Advert
Old 11-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
The very smallest possible, because I don't already get enough eye strain from the computer monitor at work.

Tee Hee Hee! So the Kindle at 1 on the font scale looks clearer than the 700 at M. It looks clearer than the 505 as well but I think that has to do with the angle of the shot. I've played with a 505 and it was very clear and easy to read.

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-22-2008 at 02:32 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
Are you sure? That doesn't look like size 1 font.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Tee Hee Hee! So the Kindle at 1 on the font scale looks clearer than the 700 at M. It looks clearer than the 505 as well but I think that has to do with the angle of the shot. I've played with a 505 and it was very clear and easy to read.
I think the Kindle uses a better default font than the Sony.

BOb
Old 11-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think the Kindle uses a better default font than the Sony.

BOb
Do you know what font type is it??

Also: Did it look to anybody else like the kindle screen was larger that the 505? (I know it's an optical illusion, but still...)
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Do you know what font type is it??
I think it is Helvetica.

The about kindle page says:

Caecilia and Neue Helvetica are trademarks of Linetype GmbH.

BOb

Also: Did it look to anybody else like the kindle screen was larger that the 505? (I know it's an optical illusion, but still...)[/quote]
Old 11-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Thanks.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The photos are good here now. Thank you for the photos.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have to agree that the angle does favor the Kindle. The Kindle is more in focus then the 505.And I can say that the 505 is clearer then then it looks in the photos.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to agree that the angle does favor the Kindle. The Kindle is more in focus then the 505.And I can say that the 505 is clearer then then it looks in the photos.

Rather than taking photos of the devices side by side it would probably best to take the best photo of each device and then compare them side by side.

Although most portrait digital cameras out there really don't take the best photos... the F-stop is wrong so you get a bad field of vision and the autofocus may get confused. Camera phones are probably even worse.

BOb
Old 11-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
From what I've seen, the screens of Kindle and the PRS-505 are exactly the same (the extra shades on the Sony might be of some benefit for images, but I didn't really pay attention.

As for as the pics above, it"s kind of like looking at a line up of Gwyneth Paltrow, Cameron Diaz and Rosie O'Donnell....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote