Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2015, 01:34 AM   #1
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
PRS-T1 Font Darkness

I purchased a PRS-T1 recently on ebay, used but in excellent condition.

This is my first ereader, but I feel like the text in books isn't black enough.
In fact the main menu seems to have blacker icons and text than the books themselves.

I tested several ebooks and that seems to make no difference.

I played around with the Customize View/Adjust View, didn't like the presets and set custom contrast and brightness to +64 and -64 respectively.
This gives me a really dark font without any jaggies.

Is it normal that for the text to be not quite black on these devices by default? I've never seen it mentioned.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

133 views of this question so far and no answers, so here are some pictures.

This was hard to get. They are pretty close to representative, although I'd say the menu normally seems a little darker.

So do I have a weird bug in the app? Did Sony intentionally leave the text slightly lighter so bold can stand out or something?

Could one person, please, look at their reader and tell me what they see?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Menu.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	740.1 KB
ID:	138618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Original.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	917.6 KB
ID:	138619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	909.2 KB
ID:	138620  
Advert
Old 05-24-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Everyone's eyesight is different and how they prefer to see the text is just as different. That's why Sony has those adjustments for brightness and contrast, and you said you're happy with the results of your new settings.

I have the PRS-350 and it had the same adjustments, and like you, I prefer darker bolder text for my crappy eyesight and made those brightness/contrast adjustments for every book.

It's how it should be.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
DoctorM
Groupie

I was just surprised that the book font would be lighter than the font used for the menus.

Do you know off hand what settings you use for contrast and brightness?
Old 05-25-2015, 12:41 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used even more contrast than you, I had brightness at +127 and contrast at -125. But adjust it for however it looks best and most comfortable for your eyes and reading. There is no one magic setting for all, it's all individual preference.
Advert
Old 05-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #6
DoctorM
Groupie

Thanks for the response.

You'd think they would shoot for maximum contrast considering the background isn't perfectly white.

I didn't max out the brightness and contrast because I felt it brought out aliasing in the text.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

There are many people though who prefer the default setting and never change the brightness and contrast. Just be thankful it has settings you can adjust, unlike Kindle readers.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
DoctorM
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
...unlike Kindle readers.
One of the many reasons the Sony readers are better. A shame they've given up on the market.

Tags
contrast, font, prs-t1