Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
Rumored competition for the Sony DPS

DPT, sorry

Hello,

I have been watching (PDF) eReaders with heavy anticipation long before the first eReader was even released. I have decades? worth of PDFs and the perfect digital, portable solution has been toying with me for years, always promised, and never delivered. I don't imagine I'm the only one.

When the Sony came across my brain I had two quick emotions. The first was pure excitement with hope the PDF reader I was waiting for had arrived. The second was somewhere around utter disappointment, disgust, stomach-turning shock and awe when I saw the price. I was blown away Sony had the balls to charge this much and felt convinced the hardware costs was nowhere near the price. F'em I thought, I'm not biting and will continue to have patience.

It seems like my patience may take me right to my deathbed ��. With an $800 price I am trying to justify it and I may. I am still going through the posts to verify if this has all I want. Like a backlit screen for example. I am still uncertain if the screen is backlit enabling reading in darkness. I will not buy a device at this price which requires an additional light to read.

So here is my question if you've made it this far ��. Has any competition for this Sony come out, or is there anything rumored to be coming out soon, including an updated device from Sony? I would be sick if I bought this and 60 days later another company released a device equivalent for 1/3rd the price.

Thanks for reading and your time.
Phil

Last edited by mrpotts; 05-18-2015 at 07:46 AM.
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is not, and never will be, a backlit eInk display for the very simple reason that eInk screens are opaque. That's why all illuminated eInk devices are frontlit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Thread title is misleading, it implies you have rumors of a competing device. Because G-d knows no one else has rumors.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
skobie78
Enthusiast
skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Onyx M92, Onyx Boox Max
There are a few 13" devices supposedly on the way:
  • Dasung Paperlike - some members have ordered preview devices. They expect to get their devices in June.
  • Pocketbook CAD and Pocketbook CAD Flex. Nothing heard about these since a trade showin March.
  • Netronix showed a prototype device a few months ago. They're a manufacturer only, they said they were looking for a brand to market the device. Nothing heard since.
  • Onyx supposedly are going to have a device out soon according to the goodereader website. An employee of Onyx used to post on here, they said Onyx were about to start work on a 13" reader. That was about 2 years ago.

There are threads on all the above on here.

The prices rumoured in the threads were around $600 - $800. Personally, I'd buy the Sony today if they sold it in Europe

Last edited by skobie78; 05-19-2015 at 07:42 AM.
skobie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:58 AM   #5
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
skobie was faster
http://allesebook.de/ebook-reader/po...ok-cad-reader/
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
why is there a "Buy Now" button on the site when it's not for sale?
and the file formats says "MP3, CAD". what happened to PDF, ePub, etc.?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
As its name "CAD reader" suggests, this is a dedicated device for reading CAD files. It's not a bookreader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:12 AM   #8
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
Buy Now sends the reader to Amazon, which hasn't listed this item.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #9
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
Wow, so doesn't look like much competition out there. I have been waiting for the 8" Onyx but that has been a long wait. The 9.7 they sell looks ok but it has a few flaws to me, like no 'front-lit lighting' (thanks for the correction Harry Maybe I'll get the Sony but not till the autumn.
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #10
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Sorry I think that is fake or just a placeholder, they state it's using eink fina but they changed to mobius.They seem to of just copied and pasted the original specification.Kinda dumb
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote