Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2015, 01:55 AM   #1
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Used PRS-T1 authorization Q

I just purchased a beautiful condition used PRS-T1 from ebay.
I notice that under the Device Information the Adobe DRM shows that it is authorized for reading and purchasing content.

Do I need to deauthorize it or something to be safe or am I fine as is?
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The current authorization belongs to someone else, whose books you don't have.
Your books require a different authorization.

If you want to read DRMed books you will need to switch authorizations.
If you just want to read DeDRMed books, you can ignore the issue altogether.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Do a factory reset.

Mind you, if you do that, I think you'll need to apply a Sony update to the original firmware as the original release was a bit unstable.

Maybe if you look under settings, there is an option to simply deauthenticate it. But check the firmware version. You might want to upgrade it anyway.

Last edited by Rizla; 05-11-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

@eschwartz- That's about what I thought. But for Overdrive or signing up for Kobo, wouldn't the current authorization work if I opened a new account with it...
Yeah, I see the wisdom of resetting it. Can that only be done with Sony's Reader for PC software?

@Rizla - I think the previous owner did a factory reset. It did ask all the region questions when I first started it and the firmware version was a really low number compared to the current one before I flashed it.
It doesn't explain the non-drmed books that were present. I suppose he could have copied them there via windows after resetting.

I also don't think a factory reset has any effect on authorization on the T1.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True, you can download an .acsm directly. If it hasn't already been registered to an Adobe ID, it will work.
That is okay for OverDrive ebooks, since they expire anyway but purchased books will be foreverafter bound to that Adobe ID, which you don't have the password to, which means the books will never be accessible to any other device/app/computer... and youd better be careful not to deauthorize it either.

NOT WORTH IT!!
Advert
Old 05-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
You should be ok unless you are going to download /read previously purchased material under a different adobe id or if you are a bit paranoid lol
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

... or if you are going to be purchasing new books and want them readable on anything but that device, for the duration of that device's existence, and barring an accidental deauthorization (which would be shockingly bad).
Is it "paranoid" to be worried that one day, you might decide to get a new ereader?

In other words, if you are going to be reading DRMed books.
Just like I said in post #2.
(OverDrive loans, being ephemeral, are not an issue however.)
Old 05-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
DoctorM
Groupie

Okay, thanks guys.
So is Sony's Reader software the best way to do de/reauthorization?

Edit: Tried it in Reader for PC and failed (Device is Busy). Did a soft reset and failed.
Ended up having to do a factory reset which cleared the authorization as well... I guess the seller DIDN'T do that.

Signed up with Kobo. Signed up with Adobe. Everything is Jake.
Probably uninstall Reader for PC now.

Last edited by DoctorM; 05-12-2015 at 02:44 AM.