Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Sony PRS no longer connects to computer

Via the usb cord. It used to but now it stopped. Any suggestions on how to get it recognized again? Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:11 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I think we need to try to narrow down the possibilities

Is the reader still working away from the computer?

Have you tried a different port and different cable?

Have you tried that port and cable with something else besides the Sony?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2015, 01:40 AM   #3
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I think we need to try to narrow down the possibilities

Is the reader still working away from the computer?

Have you tried a different port and different cable?

Have you tried that port and cable with something else besides the Sony?
Thanks Alex. Yes, the ereader is working away from the computer. And I've tried different ports (none recognize it) but only have the one cable that fits the Sony. And the Sony cord doesn't fit anything but the Sony.

What throws me is that it was recognizing it before, and I don't know what would have made for the change.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:07 AM   #4
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Are you taking about the model you have in your signature? PRS-300?

It looks like it has a common Mini-USB connection. It's not a Sony special cable. It should fit everything having such format, like older photocameras, older portable 2.5" HDDs and stuff. I say older, as the new format is Micro-USB.

I also assume you have read the manual and noticed the troubleshooting section and the hints provided at the corresponding sections. A nice chapter to read is "Device lock" on page 61

Finally, I would like to know what "recognizing" means?
The computer shows no sign of a Sony gear, or the Reader does not indicate its connection to the host? Or both?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:33 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
but only have the one cable that fits the Sony. And the Sony cord doesn't fit anything but the Sony.
That surprises me. My daughter's 650 works with the USB cables I use for my T1, T2, and T3, Kobo, and Kindle - the cables are interchangeable.

I have had the occasional problem where a port on my Thinkpad woudn't work one day but worked the next.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2015, 03:05 AM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Are you taking about the model you have in your signature? PRS-300?

It looks like it has a common Mini-USB connection. It's not a Sony special cable. It should fit everything having such format, like older photocameras, older portable 2.5" HDDs and stuff. I say older, as the new format is Micro-USB.

I also assume you have read the manual and noticed the troubleshooting section and the hints provided at the corresponding sections. A nice chapter to read is "Device lock" on page 61

Finally, I would like to know what "recognizing" means?
The computer shows no sign of a Sony gear, or the Reader does not indicate its connection to the host? Or both?
Thanks Ghitulescu. I checked. The cable only fits the Sony. (I was actually trying--mistakenly--to hook it up with the cable from my Nikon Coolpix camera.)

By recognizing I mean that when I plug the ereader into the computer (via the cord), the computer does not show the icon for the ereader on the Desktop. (Hence I have no chance to mount it.)

And there's a new complication. Now when I turn the ereader on it is stuck in the "loading" mode. Even though there's no books on it.

Kind of a mess actually. Have had these sort of problems ever since I got it. And had similar problems with another PRS 300.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:07 AM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
That surprises me. My daughter's 650 works with the USB cables I use for my T1, T2, and T3, Kobo, and Kindle - the cables are interchangeable.

I have had the occasional problem where a port on my Thinkpad woudn't work one day but worked the next.
I'm starting to think this thing just isn't worth it. It's a shame because when it works it's nice, but it's just so finicky. I'm not up for a major investigation and fix every time I turn the thing on.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:52 AM   #8
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Sony PRS 300 troubleshooting

This web page should answer your questions about the PRS 300, I would suggest trying a soft reset first, then if that does not work, a hard reset. I suspect that the way that you were transferring books to the device caused this hiccup. Mine always worked best if it was fully charged whenever I transferred books to it; then it needed a few minutes to index the new content -- requires some patience! Good luck.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:46 AM   #9
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From another messages of yours, I gathered that you use Linux.
Linux does not automatically mount USB devices, unless told to do so. You may have deactivated it by mistake.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:56 AM   #10
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks Ghitulescu. I checked. The cable only fits the Sony. (I was actually trying--mistakenly--to hook it up with the cable from my Nikon Coolpix camera.)
If you have ONLY two electronic devices, that are incompatible to each other, it's hard to generalize
Quote:
By recognizing I mean that when I plug the ereader into the computer (via the cord), the computer does not show the icon for the ereader on the Desktop. (Hence I have no chance to mount it.)
I don't have a 300, I have a T1 and a T3. Nevertheless, what I will describe in following is common to a lot of devices, including cameras and stuff, and it goes as this: when you plug in the USB cable, the device recognize it (not hard, each USB cable also provides electricity ) and asks for a choice: normally between two alternatives (CHARGE vs CONNECT) but three or more are also possible (photocameras that may be used as a webcam, camcorders usable as intruder detectors etc). Unless a choice is made, the computer does not sense the device. PICK a choice and it should work.
Quote:
And there's a new complication. Now when I turn the ereader on it is stuck in the "loading" mode. Even though there's no books on it.
LOADING means that the eReader does some internal work. Amongst them are:
- filling the cache with cover thumbnails, authors, titles, keywords etc.
- sorting them in the internal memory
but also
- deleting said infos from the memory when the books are no longer there.

If you had say 200 books loaded on an SD card, and removed it, the ereader deletes each entry for each removed book from the cache, to keep only the existing (updated) infos.

Patience is required. I load books one by one, or in small blocks, never 2000 at once.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:24 AM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
This web page should answer your questions about the PRS 300, I would suggest trying a soft reset first, then if that does not work, a hard reset. I suspect that the way that you were transferring books to the device caused this hiccup. Mine always worked best if it was fully charged whenever I transferred books to it; then it needed a few minutes to index the new content -- requires some patience! Good luck.
That's a great page, ngrant. Thanks very much. I've done not a few of the soft resets already but now am going to try a hard reset. Appreciate it.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:28 AM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
If you have ONLY two electronic devices, that are incompatible to each other, it's hard to generalize

I don't have a 300, I have a T1 and a T3. Nevertheless, what I will describe in following is common to a lot of devices, including cameras and stuff, and it goes as this: when you plug in the USB cable, the device recognize it (not hard, each USB cable also provides electricity ) and asks for a choice: normally between two alternatives (CHARGE vs CONNECT) but three or more are also possible (photocameras that may be used as a webcam, camcorders usable as intruder detectors etc). Unless a choice is made, the computer does not sense the device. PICK a choice and it should work.

LOADING means that the eReader does some internal work. Amongst them are:
- filling the cache with cover thumbnails, authors, titles, keywords etc.
- sorting them in the internal memory
but also
- deleting said infos from the memory when the books are no longer there.

If you had say 200 books loaded on an SD card, and removed it, the ereader deletes each entry for each removed book from the cache, to keep only the existing (updated) infos.

Patience is required. I load books one by one, or in small blocks, never 2000 at once.
Thanks Ghitulescu. Thing is the computer always used to recognize the Sony PRS 300 just by plugging it in with the USB cord. I'll check though if I'm given a choice next time.

And I only put one book on there at a time. I'll try to be more patient though.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:07 AM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Okay. Followed the hard re-set instructions. Got to the re-set page. Pushed the 5 button. (Which is what I was supposed to do.) Nothing. Had to hit the reset button just to get out of there and now it's back to it's endless loading.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:38 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried using a different computer running Windows?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:28 AM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried using a different computer running Windows?
That I have not tried. I'd really like to get it working on my Linux though. Well, that's a good suggestion, though. Maybe if it works on Windows it will reset and Linux will recognize it again. Who knows. Thanks JS.