Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Thumbs down Any how to edit a messed up epub book?

I bought and download a epub formatted book from the simon and schsister web site and when I try to read it on my aluratek libre it format is screwed up it base font for full page view is a unreadable 2to3 point font size at "100%" if I go to decent zoom of 200% Im left with a narrow column about 3 to 5 words wide with a 1 1/2 inch margins all around a equally unreadable format, is there a way I could edit this epub so it base font size and page margins are readable or is this the 3rd ebook with a screwed up format that I've have been ripoff on? Is there any epub editor that will work with a DRM'd epub or will I have to strip off the drm so I can edit it in to a sensable format. (which means Im still out the 5.99 because Ive havent been successful with any of the drm removal progams because there instructions are clear as mud )? Any ideas?
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:42 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Try uncompressing the ePUB with winzip (or similar), it is possible that the CSS (styling) files are not encrypted, and you can then modify them without affecting the DRM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post
I bought and download a epub formatted book from the simon and schsister web site and when I try to read it on my aluratek libre it format is screwed up it base font for full page view is a unreadable 2to3 point font size at "100%" if I go to decent zoom of 200% Im left with a narrow column about 3 to 5 words wide with a 1 1/2 inch margins all around a equally unreadable format, is there a way I could edit this epub so it base font size and page margins are readable or is this the 3rd ebook with a screwed up format that I've have been ripoff on? Is there any epub editor that will work with a DRM'd epub or will I have to strip off the drm so I can edit it in to a sensable format. (which means Im still out the 5.99 because Ive havent been successful with any of the drm removal progams because there instructions are clear as mud )? Any ideas?
Insist on a refund. Not fit for purpose.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Install the snake program, put the 2 scripts in the same place as the ebook, then double click the first one. When that has finished, double click the second script and follow the prompts from there.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Snake program? UH? More info please thanks
Old 04-14-2010, 04:17 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Read en enlighten yourself!

The snake.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
bob1xxx
Zealot

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Read en enlighten yourself!

The snake.
Yes thanks try as I might I spent several hours with zero success all the forums post on how to make those programs work are for me to vague and unclear how to make the drm removal process work , I really wish there was a You tube type walk though to learn how to integrate those programs and scripts to a sucessfull conclusion because none of the text based instructions make any sense to me
Old 04-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
I really wish there was a You tube type walk though:
There is, I just had a quick look. But I don't really see how it could be explained any easier than it is on the vegetable blog mentioned.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:20 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is really just install and run. There are not many options, so that should easily be covered.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Install the snake program, put the 2 scripts in the same place as the ebook, then double click the first one. When that has finished, double click the second script and follow the prompts from there.
There is no snake program. Please don't confuse the issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It sounds like S&S used either small or x-small for the base font size. A lot of ePub do that. Next issue is margins. Some ePub have huge margins defined using em. When you increase the font size, the margins increase as well. If you want margins, define them with px. Then they will stay the same without changing as the font size changes. Also, when you edit the CSS to fix the font size, remove the small/x-small lines so you can start with whatever the default text size it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
bob1xxx
Zealot

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It sounds like S&S used either small or x-small for the base font size. A lot of ePub do that. Next issue is margins. Some ePub have huge margins defined using em. When you increase the font size, the margins increase as well. If you want margins, define them with px. Then they will stay the same without changing as the font size changes. Also, when you edit the CSS to fix the font size, remove the small/x-small lines so you can start with whatever the default text size it.

Ok great whats the PX program and where can I get it thanks!
Old 04-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard

There is no px program... PX stands for pixels and what he meant was that you should define your margins in px instead of %.

Not to be disrespectful, but try to look at some CSS and (X)HTML files and try to read something about them. It is not hard, but some basic knowledge about them is required when you start to tinker with ePub files.

For editing I personally use notepad++. You could use tweak_epub to select and update the files in a ePub.

Enjoy your journey!