Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #16
Anders
Enthusiast
Anders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Final version

Here comes the final version. Changes recommended by Charleski have been made.

A lot of thanks to him.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Hårda Bud.epub (2.14 MB, 419 views)
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #17
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
It reads fabulously here in my PB360. If you could bring more comics here I'd be glad, for they read superbly. However, I wonder how manga would fare like...

Last edited by Logseman; 03-18-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
whickie
whickie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
I wrote a program to do all of this automatically. It's free and open source, and available here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/comictoepub/

It automatically crops, rotates, and cleans up the images. I use it to read comics on my little Sony and 99% of them look fantastic.
whickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #19
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Karming you like a beast. It reads fabulously in the MM!

Have you tried it with big files btw?

Last edited by Logseman; 03-18-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #20
ralphsnart
ralphsnart began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Looks good.
You might want to wrap the images in svg so that they scale and keep their aspect ratio whatever the aspect of the reader. Since your comic pages are all 449x649, try replacing the code of the body with
<svg version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 449 649" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" >
<image width="449" height="649" xlink:href="images/h01.jpg" />
</svg>
(Obviously change the 'h01.jpg' to point to the right image in each case.)

There are a few things you need to tidy up:
1) Change the encoding directive in your xhtml files (it's the first line) from
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
to
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
2) Remove all the unneeded files (toc blank.ncx etc), and definitely remove page-template.xpgt
3) Your xhtml files need a <title> element in the head, even if it's just blank, so add
<title />
to the heads of them all.
4) Your xhtml files don't actually load the css file and define all their styling information individually. You certainly want to change that. Remove
<style type="text/css" title="override_css">
@page {padding: 0pt; margin:0pt}
body { text-align: center; padding:0pt; margin: 0pt; }
div { margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; }
</style>
and replace it with
<link rel="stylesheet" href="stylesheet.css" type="text/css" />
You'll probably want to put the @page and body definitions in your stylesheet file.
5) You don't actually have a toc.ncx file. You need one, even if it only contains one navpoint. The media-type declared for it in the opf needs to be "application/x-dtbncx+xml"
6) The opf file needs to include all the jpegs in the manifest section.
I wouldn't wrap the images in SVG. Most readers won't anti-alias the images properly and it looks horrible as a result. Raster images only scale well down and not up, and even then, only when scaling down to 50% or 25% (and when you go down, the comic text is too small to read, hence the need to keep the images at same size). Why get rid of the template for ADE? Hey, is anyone bothering to validate their ePUBs?
ralphsnart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #21
whickie

Big files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Karming you like a beast. It reads fabulously in the MM!

Have you tried it with big files btw?
ty!

It should work fine with big files. The images in the CBR/CBZ get resized to whatever resolution you specify (thats what the Max Size box does) and doesn't really care about how many pages are in the comic.

The only down side is that if comics have small fonts then it can be hard to read on my little Sony. I've tested it on A LOT of comics (a couple of hundred) and at least 95% of them come out looking nice.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #22
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphsnart View Post
I wouldn't wrap the images in SVG. Most readers won't anti-alias the images properly and it looks horrible as a result.
It looks fine in the embedded ADE on my 505. No problems with aliasing.

Quote:
Why get rid of the template for ADE?
If you don't expressly need one of the limited features provided by page-template.xpgt, then it's best to leave it out. The version that everyone seems to be using adds a 6em margin to the top of every flow, which would certainly not be suitable here.

One last small issue - Calibre had problems reading the å in the title when I added it. I opened the opf file in Notepad++ and selected 'convert to UTF-8', saved it and that seemed to fix the issue. Whatever editor you use for ePubs, make sure it's operating in UTF-8 mode.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #23
The Judge
The Judge began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by whickie View Post
I wrote a program to do all of this automatically. It's free and open source, and available here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/comictoepub/

It automatically crops, rotates, and cleans up the images. I use it to read comics on my little Sony and 99% of them look fantastic.
Not to go off topic, but I can't seem to get your program to work. Well it appears to work and output a valid epub file that I can open in calibre and read using the ebook viewer. But on opening it in my 505, it is nothing but blank pages. Tried a few different settings but nothing happens. At a bit of a loss really. If it matters, I'm running Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #24
whickie

Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
Not to go off topic, but I can't seem to get your program to work. Well it appears to work and output a valid epub file that I can open in calibre and read using the ebook viewer. But on opening it in my 505, it is nothing but blank pages. Tried a few different settings but nothing happens. At a bit of a loss really. If it matters, I'm running Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
Hi Judge,

When you open it in Calibre you see the images fine, but not at all on your Sony? Strange. All I can think is that maybe the images are corrupt or in a format your Sony isn't likeing. Send me a PM with your email address and I can have a look for you.

Win7 should work fine-- I've been using it on Vista 64.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #25
Frank Lowney
frank.lowney
Frank Lowney began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I'm looking at this with Stanza on MacOS X desktop. I see one frame and the TOC but the latter isn't hot in the sense that clicking on a TOC item does anything.
Frank Lowney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comics, test