Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
sorahl
sorahl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Small Bag?

My Kindle is coming soon, according to the website.. so i'm preparing...

Here is what I want to do
I am going to have a Kindle
and for my birthday I'm getting a Netbook (prolly an Asus EEE version to be determined).
I would like to get a sleeve for my kindle (i like the idea of the naked kindle when reading) and a sleeve for my netbook. THen I want a SMALL bag to carry them in. I guess something akin to a 'manbag' <shudder>. I want to carry in the bag the two devices and their corresponding power cords.
any one have any thoughts? Granted I have until june before the netbook will arrive but i could get the bag now (when the kindle arrives in 2-4 weeks HAH!)

Thanks all (or in the language of my uber youth, Diolch)

John
sorahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Your best bet IMHO is to go to etsy.com, go to their alchemy section, and make a request (give the product dimensions). People will bid on the opportunity to take your request and you get to pick who does it (and for the right price). It might be a little pricey but you will get exactly what you need and it'll be handmade
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
cdewane
cdewane began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 Silver, iPod Touch (Stanza)
Good timing, I'm in the same boat. My friend has a small messenger bag that he can't live without. I asked where his came from and he pointed me to eBags. If you want small, stay away from the laptop bags.

http://www.ebags.com/messengers/depa...sub_site_id=21

Try the coupon code EMALERT2 for free shipping. Don't know how long it is good for.

[update] The coupon code works. Free ground shipping. [update]

Just got my Sony Reader and I can't put it down.

Enjoy!
Chris

Last edited by cdewane; 02-05-2009 at 09:21 PM.
cdewane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I have this bag, which I love like mad! It carries my Kindle and tablet PC with attendant cords, as well as having room for my lunch...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
sorahl
sorahl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
which bag is it? i don't get a specific item page when i click the link.
sorahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorahl View Post
which bag is it? i don't get a specific item page when i click the link.
Sorry about that. Click on Men's, then Bags. It's the Cabin Bag.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
My EEE netbook came with a plain black neoprene sleeve, so that may be one less thing you have to worry about finding.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #8
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
John, I'm in the same boat - well, I already have my Kindle1, but am anxiously awaiting delivery of my Asus netbook this week (I just tracked it - it should be here tomorrow - which is almost today since it's almost midnight as I type!). It comes with a sleeve, I have an M-edge cover for my Kindle (I also have a zippered sleeve I use occasionally). I was looking online for a bag for carrying both, but realized I had something leftover from my daughter's high school days. It's a messenger bag type bag, big enough inside (I hope) to carry both when we're traveling, etc, has 2 pockets in front for chargers, a mouse, etc. I'll know whether I'll have to keep shopping tomorrow, I guess.

So a messenger-type bag might work for you too. (Just a less girly one that what I've got!) I've seen good reviews of the Waterfield cases for the Kindle - they also make them for netbooks, laptops, etc. I just looked at the website again, you can put in the type laptop you want to carry & it will tell you which bags will work. I've heard they'll work with you by e-mail or phone to help you get exactly what you want. Here's a link what the site said would work for my Asus: http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleev...izing/asus.htm
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
meglet
Enthusiast
meglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I'll second Meemo's recommendation for Waterfield bags at www.sfbags.com. I have a small VertiGo on order, along with a sleeve case for my Samsung NC10 netbook. According to their customer service, the small VertiGo will just fit the NC10 in a sleeve, the power cord, and the Kindle2 in their custom sleeve.

Their site lists the Medium VertiGo as the smallest one in their bag/sleeve combo package, but I emailed customer service and they confirmed the small should be just what I need. I'll know for sure when it arrives tomorrow.

Just a note: try to use that EEE keyboard in person before you order it. 2 coworkers have the EEE 1000, and the keyboard is tiny, I even have small hands and it's hard for me to use. I much prefer the full keyboard of my NC10.
meglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I have this bag, which I love like mad! It carries my Kindle and tablet PC with attendant cords, as well as having room for my lunch...
I really like some of those bags there... Is there any place where they have reviews or anything? Only having one pic of most of them it's hard to get a feel of them.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I really like some of those bags there... Is there any place where they have reviews or anything? Only having one pic of most of them it's hard to get a feel of them.
I got mine at some travel store in Chicago. I'd been looking for a meesenger bag forever and as soon as I had my hands on it, I was in love. It has plenty of pockets inside and out, real zippers rather than cheap velcro, and is made of sturdy canvas. My only problem I have had in over a year of carrying it every day has been with the lining of the main flap that is also the pouch for one of the pcokets kept getting caught in the zipper, leading to a tear and a hole in the pocket. I fixed this with some fabric glue and patience. If I replace this bag in the future, and the same set-up exists, I'll reinforce the area that gets caught with some bias tape and fabric glue.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglet View Post
Just a note: try to use that EEE keyboard in person before you order it. 2 coworkers have the EEE 1000, and the keyboard is tiny, I even have small hands and it's hard for me to use. I much prefer the full keyboard of my NC10.
One of the things that sold me on the Eee 1000HA (which I'm typing on right now) is that the keyboard size is 95% of a "standard" keyboard. I've always had trouble typing on a laptop, but I was amazed when I started playing with it last night that I could actually type on it pretty well from the get-go (and will get better as I get used to it). The right shift key does take some getting used to but otherwise, it's been pretty easy for me - and I'm picky about keyboards. Now some of the other netbooks have even smaller keyboards, & I knew I couldn't deal with that.

I will say my husband isn't crazy about it - small screen, small keyboard, and worst of all for him, it's Windows-based (which he swore he'd never buy again). But since Apple doesn't make netbooks and I didn't want a full-sized laptop (or to spend too much on it), here I am, back in Windowsland. At least I can play Spider Solitaire again! And for what I wanted it for, it's a perfect fit. Thank goodness. LOL

Last edited by Meemo; 02-12-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
I will say my husband isn't crazy about it - small screen, small keyboard, and worst of all for him, it's Windows-based (which he swore he'd never buy again). But since Apple doesn't make netbooks and I didn't want a full-sized laptop (or to spend too much on it), here I am, back in Windowsland. At least I can play Spider Solitaire again! And for what I wanted it for, it's a perfect fit. Thank goodness. LOL
I have heard people say that they have gotten MSI Wind to run OSx... but I think you need to swap out the wireless card.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I have heard people say that they have gotten MSI Wind to run OSx... but I think you need to swap out the wireless card.

BOb
I think they have that working now.

But even so.. I've also heard it runs like molasses. I considered doing that this weekend... ended up just getting a Macbook.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #15
Meemo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I think they have that working now.

But even so.. I've also heard it runs like molasses. I considered doing that this weekend... ended up just getting a Macbook.
LOL my husband keeps saying "You could've had a Macbook" (& he was a diehard PC man for years & years). I love our Macs too, but couldn't see paying 3x the price for my pretty basic needs. (Now the first time I get some nasty virus or the blue screen of death, I might be singing a different tune...) And with some of the money we saved I'm looking at picking up a bag with better padding for the netbook & Kindle, and a nicer cover or two for our Kindles.