Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #16
Sigyn
Junior Junior Member
Sigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I know it made me able to read again, for that I love it

They opened up the world of reading that disabilities took away from the silent minority.

applesauce
My friend used to work at a weird part of the library where they had people come in and do something to recordings to make them into audio books for the blind. I forget what all it involved but remember discussions about reel-to-reel.
Sigyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #17
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I am certain I read faster on my kindle than I do a physical book. I tend to get distracted by the book itself - the cover, how it's bound, flipping ahead to see how many pages before the current chapter ends, etc. I feel that an ereader actually distills reading down to its essence - the words. Plus being able to select the font, font size, and line spacing of your choice helps to optimize the reading. I usually select the smallest possible font, but sometimes I go a size or two up.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:42 AM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One thing about Kindle (and other ereaders) that may make someone a better reader is that you can't just lose your place and end up re-reading a good number of pages. Between being able to set a bookmark and the fact that the reader saves your place (though if it restarts you can lose the last place you stopped (if not marked by a bookmark) where you were last.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #19
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 2 & 4
Oh, it's extremely useful for me as a non native English speaker since it has a convenient built-in dictionary.
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #20
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I've always read a lot, but I also tend to have several books on the go at the same time and what I want to read at any specific time depends heavily on my mood and where I am at the time.
This was always a pain with pbooks.

Since I've been using ereaders (kobo touch and now a Kobo Glo) I have everything I want to read in one small device and my ereader is indispensable.
I do read more as it's much more convenient for me, I don't have to lug lots of books around.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #21
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I have read a lot more since I got an ereader, since I can now get books from the library or bookstore without having to actually go there yes, I'm lazy.....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #22
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Q View Post
Oh, it's extremely useful for me as a non native English speaker since it has a convenient built-in dictionary.
Excellent point, the built-in dictionary is great even for native English speakers. I would rarely look up words I didn't know because it was usually too much bother to go and find a dictionary. So my vocabulary wasn't really expanding much until ereaders eliminated the excuses for not looking up words.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #23
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Excellent point, the built-in dictionary is great even for native English speakers. I would rarely look up words I didn't know because it was usually too much bother to go and find a dictionary. So my vocabulary wasn't really expanding much until ereaders eliminated the excuses for not looking up words.
Me too. I can usually figure out the meaning by context, but now that I can look words up at a touch, I've found out that I was wrong about a few words.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #24
Rylon
Hungry Polar Bear
Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi + 3G
I agree with you. The dictionary function makes looking-up new and potentially tricky words up easy. I love the highlight and note function, giving me a place to put my reactions to particularly memorable passages right there so I won't forget them.

I'd be interested in what studies say e-reading is slower by 10%. That doesn't sound right to me.
Rylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
welcome to e-reading, cumpadi
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #26
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
One thing about Kindle (and other ereaders) that may make someone a better reader is that you can't just lose your place and end up re-reading a good number of pages. Between being able to set a bookmark and the fact that the reader saves your place (though if it restarts you can lose the last place you stopped (if not marked by a bookmark) where you were last.
superuseful for zapping readers, no doubt
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #27
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I read more now, because I never forget my book. There is a definate need for women's purses!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drunk college student, e-reading lover, jbpatch, paperwhite