Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #46
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Although there are exceptions. I just checked some Stephen King titles, and many are USB only.
I downloaded Desperation wirelessly just a few minutes ago. Once you've downloaded the book initially, it's in the device/app archive and can be wirelessly transferred from there. However, you must have a Kindle device to do a Penguin book checkout. If you *only* have an app, you can't check out the book.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #47
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I downloaded Desperation wirelessly just a few minutes ago. Once you've downloaded the book initially, it's in the device/app archive and can be wirelessly transferred from there. However, you must have a Kindle device to do a Penguin book checkout. If you *only* have an app, you can't check out the book.
Thanks for the clarification (and sorry for doubting you HarryT).

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't understand the blurb at my library that said: "Kindle devices via USB only".

I just tried checking out Desperation using the PC App (I don't have a kindle), and I was unable to, and the Amazon web site text says: "Due to publisher restrictions, this book cannot be delivered wirelessly and must be downloaded and transferred via USB. You currently have no devices registered that support transferring via USB. Learn more".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #48
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Thanks for the clarification (and sorry for doubting you HarryT).

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't understand the blurb at my library that said: "Kindle devices via USB only".

I just tried checking out Desperation using the PC App (I don't have a kindle), and I was unable to, and the Amazon web site text says: "Due to publisher restrictions, this book cannot be delivered wirelessly and must be downloaded and transferred via USB. You currently have no devices registered that support transferring via USB. Learn more".
That's the kicker...if you had a single registered Kindle device, even a broken one, you can complete the checkout AND get the book wirelessly on your app. Call it a glitch or a loophole.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 AM   #49
ianrob99
ianrob99 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs650
Use Calibre to manage your books. I have had a sony 650 for over a year and have bought books from several sources and Calibre allows me to load onto the sony. Have had a few niggles but have always found a solution.
ianrob99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo touch, newbie, sony t1