Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #91
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You can still use the hyperlinked TOC as before. If you scroll to the top of the GoTo list there is probably an entry to take you there, or close to it. Set a bookmark to make it easier to get there.

The publisher may not have taken enough care when defining the navlist. Otherwise it would be much better than the hyperlinked TOC for navigating.

I have a number of O'Reilly books, and these are better than ever with the new navigation.
I guess I am the only person sad then. For instance I have learning python (a 1000 page book) from O'Reilly on my kindle. I have 9 sections I can now click on where as before I could easily navigate the book. I really hope they reincorporate the toc, would not mind the goto breakout as well but one more line for the old toc would be wonderful.
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #92
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
I guess I am the only person sad then. For instance I have learning python (a 1000 page book) from O'Reilly on my kindle. I have 9 sections I can now click on where as before I could easily navigate the book. I really hope they reincorporate the toc, would not mind the goto breakout as well but one more line for the old toc would be wonderful.
I don't know how much this helps but there is a tool to import TOC of your pdfs into bookmarks ( with a chosen depth level) . It is on this thread
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #93
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
I don't know how much this helps but there is a tool to import TOC of your pdfs into bookmarks ( with a chosen depth level) . It is on this thread
thomass is not talking about PDF, but presumably KF8 or mobi.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #94
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
O'Reilly books are generally laid out the same way. In the several I've checked, the linked TOC starts at location 1. So use Go To, 'Page or Location...', type '1'. Let's see: 1 tap to bring up options, 1 tap to bring up Go To dialog, 1 tap to bring up Page or Location, 1 tap to enter '1', 1 tap to navigate to the location. Total: 5 taps. 2 taps less efficient than what you'd like to do.

Or as I suggested previously, set a bookmark at location 1, and use Menu, View notes and marks, and that will be the first item in the list. Once bookmark is established, 1 tap to bring up options, 1 tap on Menu, 1 tap on View Notes and Marks, 1 tap on first item. Total: 4 taps, a 1 tap savings over the above. Only 1 tap less efficient than what you'd like to be able to do on the Go To popup.

But in either case, now you have to navigate the pages with the links to find the one you want to jump to. Depending on the text size you've set, that will be several pages at least (especially for a 1000 page book). And if you accidentally tap instead of swipe (as I am wont to do), you are likely to jump somewhere you didn't want to go, and have to use Back to get back (not as efficient on KT as previously). So I was finding my O'Reilly books onerous to navigate when compared with ePub, and even got an ePub reader in part to read these books with.

I think the main problem with the current implementation is that hierarchical lists are always displayed fully expanded, and that can make for a very long list of items. It would be much more efficient if only the section you were currently in was expanded, and everything else were collapsed. Then you would not need to swipe as much to get to a top level item, before drilling down to see what is in there. Or better, if there was also a button to toggle collapse all/expand all (while remembering the node you are currently in). I think I'll make this suggestion to kindle-feedback.

I still prefer navigating the structural TOC, but it could be improved.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #95
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thomass is not talking about PDF, but presumably KF8 or mobi.
You meant bluertfoot?
Sorry, didn't notice.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #96
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
Thanks for all the workarounds offered here, I will try but I think ultimately if Amazon does not make this workable I will ask for my money back on all book I purchased since getting the kindle, really not fair to change the game like this. So on a 1000 page book I now have...

1) no page numbers
2) no visual representaton of where I am in the chapter
3) no visual representation (except for the %) of where I am in the book
3) no fast way to flip through pages (offerd on the sony and nook for some time)
4) no working table of contents

That is not a workable solution for big books that you use mostly as a reference. I got locked into the Amazon ecosystem back in the kindle 2 days and it feels like they are slowly attemting to take away every feature I liked while not implementing (pages, muitiple page turns) any of the features I would want added.

Rant over. I have so much money in the thing now that this is depressing
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #97
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't believe anything related to the display of page numbers has changed in the 5.1 update, has it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #98
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daletsteele View Post
Good discussion and I too am quite happy with all the new features on my Touch. One thing that hasn't changed is that I am unable to share text/comments via Twitter unless I do so with an Amazon downloaded book. All my other material reaches the Kindle via Calibre. I've talked to Amazon about this but they were unable to resolve it. Do others have this problem? I've been assuming that Amazon did it intentionally to steer readers to their products.
Do you have the box for 'Enable sharing of book content via Facebook etc.' ticked in calibre under Preferences > Output options > Mobi Output? Note: This will break the last page read sync.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #99
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't believe anything related to the display of page numbers has changed in the 5.1 update, has it?
it's still functional.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #100
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
it's still functional.
Seems to work exactly as it did in 5.0.4, as far as I can see.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #101
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

Rant over. I have so much money in the thing now that this is depressing
It's not like there aren't other options for the ebooks. Strip the DRM, convert them to a different format, and find an ereader that works better for you.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #102
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If anything there is more information now: if a book has NCX and page numbers, the GoTo section/chapter list will show the page numbers associated with each chapter/section.

But I think the problem bluerfoot is having with his O'Reilly Python book is that page numbers are not defined, even if you purchase from Amazon (since 'real page numbers' only exist for the latter and then only for some titles).

A workaround might be to use calibre to generate 'phony page numbers', but I'm not sure they have the KT issues all worked out yet.

Another is to use the PDF (if bought from O'Reilly), now that we have landscape. PDF has PDF bookmark navigation on KT, unlike previous Kindles. And Kindle even uses PDF page labels, unlike most other ereaders.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #103
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
A workaround might be to use calibre to generate 'phony page numbers', but I'm not sure they have the KT issues all worked out yet.
Yes, the page numbers add-in works fine with the KT.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by m8cb0y View Post
Is this more or less what you were looking for? I used the "Kindle Guide" ebook as I was trying not to violate any copyrights (probably did just using that, oops )

Attachment 85301

--m8cb0y
...long-time lurker who finally decided to create an account to help someone out...
That is NOT a photo of a KT as a KT is a Kobo Touch. That is a photo of an AKT (Amazon Kindle Touch).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #105
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is NOT a photo of a KT as a KT is a Kobo Touch. That is a photo of an AKT (Amazon Kindle Touch).
Oh, good grief.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote