Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 AM   #271
lciprich
lciprich began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Iciprich

Welcome to mobileread ....

Have you had a look at the Library here on Mobileread ... ?
[see link in my signature line]
Thanks for the link, Geoff...can we upload books that we have bought and finished reading? That's what I really hate about buying them...I don't have any close friends to give them to or even just lend them to and it seems like such a waste of good books!
lciprich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #272
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by lciprich View Post
Thanks for the link, Geoff...can we upload books that we have bought and finished reading? That's what I really hate about buying them...I don't have any close friends to give them to or even just lend them to and it seems like such a waste of good books!

Not that I'm aware of because they're DRM'd and removing the DRM and reposting it is a no-no. Not being able to share, give away or resell a book is a drawback with ebooks but the writers do deserve to have their hard work protected. IMO.

There's a guy on the eBay boards complaining that eBay restricted him from listing things. The guy was reselling the Twilight series & Stephen King ebooks claiming to have resale rights. LOL
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #273
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
No, the MR forum only wants books that are in public domain and have been formatted by members -- so as not to violate any copyrights.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #274
Rick1971
cool a zombie!
Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Lenovo a2107a-f, Le PanII, Motorola Xoom FE
I pre registered online for my local library I am gonna head there right now
Rick1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #275
Cruznon
Cruznon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition PRS900
Adobe Digital Editions

I cannot figure out how to get books off Adobe Digital Editions onto my Sony PRS-900. I know I'm missing a step somewhere but have spent two days now trying to figure it out. Can you help?
Cruznon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 AM   #276
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznon View Post
I cannot figure out how to get books off Adobe Digital Editions onto my Sony PRS-900. I know I'm missing a step somewhere but have spent two days now trying to figure it out. Can you help?
You have to install the Sony Reader Library first before you can use ADE. That's because ADE needs the device driver for recognizing the Sony device and this driver will be installed within the Sony Reader Library Software.
After you did this, your Sony is shown in ADE (after a short time) and then you can activate the device for use with DRMed-books and transfer the books to the device.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #277
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Only books that are in the public domain (i.e out of copyright) may be uploaded in the Mobileread library, plus those written and donated by members who release them under CC....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #278
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
....."The solution is to rent 27 copies, not own them, and send them back when the peak demand begins to subside..............."

Can't see any publisher thinking that's a good idea !

I can see the library central purchasing unit buying, say, 40 copies, and then sharing them out to member libraries as needed........

In the UK it definitely doesn't happen - when copies are a bit battered, individual branches usually sell them off to members at a very reasonable price, which sends them off on another life of being handed around to friends, hospitals, charity shops, etc...
( Also gives the library a little extra income. )
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #279
duder78
duder78 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I can't figure out where to put my adobe ID credentials to view DRMed ebooks in the new library software upgrade. It asks for my sony account info, but nowhere do I see a place to enter adobe stuff. Any suggestions?
duder78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:29 AM   #280
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Here's another example.

I digitally transfer $1000 from my savings account to my checking account. I go online and spend $10,000 because that $1000 is just digital... it can certainly be copied very easily and I just spent the digital copy 10 times. Why is that a problem? This is the digital releam... it should be easy just to copy the money and send it to the 10 vendors... no?

Also, for some reason $1000 was deducted from my savings account. Does that make sense... I just wanted to copy $1000 of the digital money in my savings account to my checking... I didn't want to delete the $1000 digital from my savings. This is just NOT right.

BOb

What an excellent comparison!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #281
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
I have managed to get books directly downloaded from my local library to my PRS T1. I actually had two copies of one book as I pressed download twice, mainly due to not noticing the download symbol at the top of the screen. Sent one back via the 'return book' icon. Downloaded another book for my youngest to test and it all seems fine so far.

My only gripe is the short list of books available, but I'm sure that it can only get better. I may try to add a book that's already 'out' to see how the notification system works.
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #282
mrklaw
mrklaw began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_intro View Post
I have managed to get books directly downloaded from my local library to my PRS T1. I actually had two copies of one book as I pressed download twice, mainly due to not noticing the download symbol at the top of the screen. Sent one back via the 'return book' icon. Downloaded another book for my youngest to test and it all seems fine so far.

My only gripe is the short list of books available, but I'm sure that it can only get better. I may try to add a book that's already 'out' to see how the notification system works.
I'd be interested in your impressions after a while using it, I'm considering the T1 for my son mainly because of the library integration. Although the poor web interface for my local library makes it difficult to see what the catalogue is like for young readers
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #283
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Used the library a few times now, notification works by email, you get three days to download the book after getting a message.

Public domain 'classics' work fine, don't expire or count toward my limit - win/win!

The automatic checking back in works solidly, both automatically and manually.

Still not happy with the amount of choice, of course, and if the removal of Penguin books becomes the norm, it won't get much better...
Old 11-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #284
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Not always three days. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It depends upon the libraries.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:10 AM   #285
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric

I was speaking of my experience only. Three days is what it says.