Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #16
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I’ve been around the writing business for quite a few years, and the posts I’ve read in this thread are pretty much on target. It’s impossible for a writer to be objective about their own work, which means it’s a good idea to have the work professionally edited. The problems are the cost, and knowing what you are getting for that cost. There are many editors out there -- copy editors, developmental editors, and editors who do it all -- and finding the right one for your work can be a daunting task.

Beneath a Buried House

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SE7J6I
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #17
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
How did you go about selecting your editor, Paul? And what were your requirements and expectations?
I'd have to hand that question to Elita, as she did the selection process.

There were several criterion but for "Tree of Life" Elita really needed to find someone who understood the more archaic style of writing as opposed to modern-english. Price naturally was a big factor, we lost our jaws at $10,000 but were then recommended to another person who would do less work on the book at a lower cost of course.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:22 AM   #18
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobavey View Post
I’ve been around the writing business for quite a few years, and the posts I’ve read in this thread are pretty much on target. It’s impossible for a writer to be objective about their own work, which means it’s a good idea to have the work professionally edited. The problems are the cost, and knowing what you are getting for that cost. There are many editors out there -- copy editors, developmental editors, and editors who do it all -- and finding the right one for your work can be a daunting task.
Right on, Bob. I'm objective enough about my work to know that I need an editor. I'm also objective enough to know that I'll probably never make enough from a self-published ebook to ever recoup the cost. Catch 22!
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:47 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Right on, Bob. I'm objective enough about my work to know that I need an editor. I'm also objective enough to know that I'll probably never make enough from a self-published ebook to ever recoup the cost. Catch 22!
Perhaps it could be regarded as an investment in your profession as a writer? Seeing the suggestions that a good editor recommends in your work would, I'm sure, help to improve it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #20
Marc Johnson
Marc Johnson doesn't litterMarc Johnson doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I think having a professional editing is completely necessary if you're going to self-publish. Funny I should see this thread. I just posted a post on my website. I talk about how much an editor cost me ($2000) and the estimates I got from other editors. It was worth every penny. I know I'll talk how I chose my editor at some point.

It's a lot of money but just start saving it. It's not like you have to pay all at once. 1/3 now and the rest about a month or two later.
Marc Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #21
markuskane
Markus Kane
markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!markuskane is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
I've used several editors. The best, and most recent, was a college girl who graduated with a journalism degree and had experience as a newspaper editor but who wasn't working in her field. I happened to meet her at a coffee shop and offered her the job after talking to her about editing. She was more than happy to do it, and worked very hard.

How can you find a person like this? I think you can post on craigslist, perhaps post a want-ad in local coffee shops or in your newspaper. There are a lot of talented people who don't know how to get started as a freelancer, and if you can find a good one, you can both benefit.

Cheers.
markuskane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #22
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Like Rhadin (and others who shall remain nameless, Mark), the best don't advertise. They have enough work on their backs, thanks, through recommendation. And it's got to the stage where freelance editors can be as selective as to which mss they work with as agents and publishers. Good operators will not offer to magically turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. The price of doing that would involve a fee almost as high as ghost writing from rough notes. A good editor (ie: someone already up to the ears in worthwhile work) will tell a prospective client straight if he hasn't got a snowball's chance. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editing, professional editor