Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-07-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
Axell
Axell began at the beginning.

Device: pdf
Where Is The ISBN Entered On The Metadata?

The manual mentions there is a place for the ISBN within the Metadata page, but I don't see where that is, anyone know? Thanks.
Axell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:20 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Axell - in the multi value IDs column:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	138058

You can show in booklist by creating a custom column thusly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	138057

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-07-2015 at 10:24 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
Axell

Thank you for your reply. My window looks different with the cover image taking up most of that window, nevertheless I do see the field you mentioned.

Any idea why it is not included with the other metadata when making a PDF file? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Axell - the Metadata Edit window has alternate layouts, see Preferences->Behaviour->Edit metadata (single) layout mine is set to All on 1 tab

The PDF Format has no formal, place to put an ISBN, they're normally within the text of the Copyright page. I'm not 100% sure, but I think calibre puts the IDs in one of the the XMP metadata block sections - you can view that in some PDF viewers - eg PDF XChange has it in File Document Properties->Additional Metadata->Advanced.

If you're creating the PDF from an EPUB, and you want the ISBN to be more visible then you could put ISBN into a Book Jacket page via Polish Book or the Modify plugin.

Added : I'm just did a quick check, now I'm no longer confident that calibre will write it to the XMP metadata. Best wait for Kovid to give a us definitive answer.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-08-2015 at 11:14 PM. Reason: See Added
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:09 AM   #5
Axell

Correct, but thank you for taking the time to look into it. In making converting to PDF, I appreciate the option to include the Metadata as a page.

The output looks good and right where there is a line below the Author and Publisher that would be a perfect spot for the ISBN. Seems a waste not to include something as important as the ISBN. I sure do appreciate the capabilities of the program thus far.