Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-02-2014, 06:15 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Smile My Cybook Gen3

...is still going well after 7 years. Battery doesn't last as long as it used to, but the unit still gives me what I need...

(I do have the spare battery that came with the original order - but I suspect that's well dead by now.....)

How's yours?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
In comparison to your's still a kid (5 years old) and so it has to go strong!! Still find that the firmware is one of the bests ever.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
7 years is impressive...was it a proto type? Just wondering as was not released until after October 2007. I was an early adopter and got mine in feb 2008...and still use it everyday.

Have changed battery twice and the page turn button has turned white/silver instead of black, but otherwise...perfect.
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Gen3 with the original Mobipocket firmware was a pretty decent reader. Unfortunately, they then released ePub firmware which was a disaster. Buggy as hell, and lacking basic features, such as search and even bookmarks. That's when I abandoned the Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I meant the Mobipocket firmware (as there was no "compulsion" to install the epub firmware and I never felt the need to do it, apart from curiosity).
Advert
Old 05-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I meant the Mobipocket firmware (as there was no "compulsion" to install the epub firmware and I never felt the need to do it, apart from curiosity).
Oh yes, I agree. At the time, though, I wanted an ePub reader, so after the Cybook Gen3 and Opus I switched to a Pocketbook reader which I was very happy with.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #7
Billi
Wizard

Of course, there came epub and Pearl and touch screens ... always easy to find a good reason to try something new.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
...is still going well after 7 years. Battery doesn't last as long as it used to, but the unit still gives me what I need...

(I do have the spare battery that came with the original order - but I suspect that's well dead by now.....)

How's yours?
Mine died of a broken screen long ago.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Mine died of a broken screen long ago.
I honestly don't recall what happened to mine. I've never broken an eInk device, and I know I no longer have my Gen3, so it probably ended up on eBay at some point. I still have my Cybook Opus.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
groumpf
Enthusiast
groumpf began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Gen3
Hi,

just to say I have mine since march 2009 and it still works fine. I kept the mobi firmware and it is very stable since last update (a long time ago).
I offered a Kobo Glo to someone and I found out that the G3 screen is still good enough, just the resolution is low but the contrast is quite good.
The Kobo has a a screen border that makes a shadow on the screen, not the G3
groumpf is offline   Reply With Quote