Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #31
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
However, I just assume that everything I do when connected to the internet is 100% public and deal with things that way (instead of trying to "maintain" privacy").
I know Yifanlu has been off, and I do see his point but to sort-of disagree with him I have to quote this:
"Private faces in public places are wiser and nicer, than public faces in private places."
-- Wystan Hugh Auden
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:45 AM   #32
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
With Nielsen, the viewers have a choice of what and when they report on their viewing.
With Amazon, the readers do not have a choice. They don't even know they are reporting.
Well, I didn't know any Amazon customer service rep can easily have access to my Personal Documents!!! Until, I called Amazon a few days ago and the CS could tell me everything about my personal documents!!!
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2015, 03:02 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unwise to assume that Amazon can't see what's on their own servers. I really wouldn't store anything that you wouldn't want the world to see on a Cloud storage system.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unwise to assume that Amazon can't see what's on their own servers. I really wouldn't store anything that you wouldn't want the world to see on a Cloud storage system.
Written like a non-member of the "we trust anything electronic" generation.

Same goes for any of those "free" file hosting services.
There has never been any such thing as a "free lunch".

To forstall a bunch of reply noise:
**NOT** even if you encrypt it.
That is only good for a warm and fuzzy feeling now, but no one can predict the technical future.

And mentioned only to trigger a paranoia attack in those readers subject to it:
Modern cell phones can often use encryption of their packets - -
but not all, and even those that can, don't always.
Older cell phones - forget it - you might just go the nearest rooftop and shout.
Plus -
the user does not have any indication if the over the air connection is encrypted or not.

Last edited by knc1; 09-07-2015 at 10:34 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #35
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I have a position now - which in the case of the AnyData card is only a guess:
Not very likely that communications over your 3G go through the Linux network stack.

The modem/radio cards can use a telephone number, a name, and/or a fixed IP address stored on your SIM card.
The modem/radio cards with chipsets that support a TCP/IP stack are rare.

AnyData is not all that forthcoming about their cards operational specifications, but my guess is that it is not one of the rare cardsets that directly support TCP/IP (and store a fixed IP address on your SIM card).

The AnyData card uses the Qualcomm qsc6270 modem/radio chip.
Qualcomm is not afraid that someone will use one of their devices.

The 4-page product brief shows a very busy little chip (see last page of brief).

You can get their 'AT command set' reference here, after you register for it:
AT Command Set
Edit-2016:
https://developer.qualcomm.com/downl...developers.pdf

Which of course will not mention any AnyData proprietary commands, and the AnyData card may not respond to the QualComm proprietary commands since it probably runs a custom firmware image.
But it is a start on knowing the command set of the modem/radio.

Also available free, to the public, the "Industry Standard" portion of the AT Command Set:
TS 27.007 and:
TS 27.005

Just in case anyone is interested in poking at their 3G modem.
A blast from the past, as found by Geekmaster.

The (public) command sets for the AnyData 3G card and for the general operation of SMS.

Thread bump'd because its information is once again of interest.

An SMS server - drives 1 to 64 modem/radios - GPLv2 so source is re-usable and contains the details of driving SMS over 3G modems:
http://smstools3.kekekasvi.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	qsc6270-cmd.gif
Views:	238
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	147817  
Attached Files
File Type: zip 27005-b00.zip (262.8 KB, 184 views)
File Type: zip 27007-b10.zip (873.5 KB, 472 views)
File Type: pdf qsc6270-brief.pdf (645.0 KB, 3409 views)

Last edited by knc1; 04-15-2016 at 10:30 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
big brother, knetconnect, privacy