Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
craigmckay
LRF/EPUB fiddler
craigmckay began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Question Using "Series/VolumeNo" in EPUB to ensure sort order on reader

Hello folks, wonder if anyone can help...

I'm converting books to epub format that belong to part of a series. When I open them up on the reader (Sony PRS-300) I want to see them listed in their correct volume order.

At the moment, I'm doing this by titling:

001 An Outline of Genesis
002 An Outline of Exodus

and I have to sort them in Calibre by clicking on the title column, then they will appear in this order on the reader.

Kovid's Series feature is quite nice, but it creates an extra catalog, and doesn't sort the titles by their volume number.

Does anyone know if EPUB has this Series/VolumeNo feature, and where the Sony PRS-300 will recognise and sort accordingly?

Kind regards,
Craig
craigmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
EPUB does not have the concept oif Series as part of the specification!. As a result the readers do not have the concept either.

I am not sure why you are not getting them in Series order on your reader using calibre though? If you send them all to the Device at the same time then Calibre should create the collection corresponding to the series in the series number order. Any sent later are simply added on the end. so maybe this is what you are experiencing?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmckay View Post
Hello folks, wonder if anyone can help...

I'm converting books to epub format that belong to part of a series. When I open them up on the reader (Sony PRS-300) I want to see them listed in their correct volume order.

At the moment, I'm doing this by titling:

001 An Outline of Genesis
002 An Outline of Exodus

and I have to sort them in Calibre by clicking on the title column, then they will appear in this order on the reader.

Kovid's Series feature is quite nice, but it creates an extra catalog, and doesn't sort the titles by their volume number.

Does anyone know if EPUB has this Series/VolumeNo feature, and where the Sony PRS-300 will recognise and sort accordingly?

Kind regards,
Craig
Use the Series feature of Calibre. Sort by series (now they're in series order) prior to sending them to your device, then highlight the entire series and send it enmass to your device. Now on your reader, inside that collection, they will be in series order.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
craigmckay
LRF/EPUB fiddler

Question Populating Series/Volume programmatically

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Use the Series feature of Calibre. Sort by series (now they're in series order) prior to sending them to your device, then highlight the entire series and send it enmass to your device. Now on your reader, inside that collection, they will be in series order.
I have written a program to convert 300 books (5 series containing between 20 and 100 volumes). I am still honing the software, making tweaks etc, which means that if I were to use Calibre's wonderful feature (which does work by the way) I would have to manually specify the Series/Volume on loading.

Is there a way to access the Calibre database programmatically, and add books + Calibre metadata?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmckay View Post
Is there a way to access the Calibre database programmatically, and add books + Calibre metadata?
You can use the calibredb command.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
craigmckay
LRF/EPUB fiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
You can use the calibredb command.
Thanks - figured it out:

calibredb.exe show_metadata 439 --as-opf

Exposes the OPF attributes:

<meta name="calibre:series" content="CAC"/>
<meta name="calibre:series_index" content="29"/>

Then, call:

calibredb.exe set_metadata 439 cac.opf

Thanks for your help.

Craig
Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Note that the ePUB spec does not currently support series metadata. The above is an extension of Calibre and, while it is valid, it is not recognized by other ePUB-reading software or devices.

I created an issue in the ePUB working group page some weeks ago, hoping that they will do something about it in the future.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
The ePub format recognizes that extra metadata may be included in a document. So while the standard doesn't currently store that information, there may be reasonable ways to do so.

There's some discussion here that talks about how to encode it in XHTML, for use in Sigil, and an attempt to future-proof the data by sticking to the Dublin Core standard.

It may be relevant to what you're trying to do.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, sorting