Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
cartman
Connoisseur
cartman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505 (Blue)
Calibre issues when the same author is on 150+ books

I think i have finally found out why i had major issues with almost every release of calibre and the transfer of my collections to my Sony 505. In short, I usually had about 100 books missing from the 505, sometimes i had no collections at all, blank collections, collections with random books inside etc.

The problem was that i had about 250 books with the same author (Carl Barks), so calibre put them in the same folder. When i broke that into 3 groups, (Carl Barks, Carl Barks2, Carl Barks3), all problems disappeared, and everything is now fine.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Killian
Enthusiast
Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Forgive me for my ignorance but why would that be causing problems? Is there some kind of limit to how many books you can have per author?
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
cartman
Connoisseur

I dont know why it causes problems, the only thing i know is that after months of trying everything i could think of, bugging kovid many times, formatting my 505, reflashing its firmware, trying many different versions of calibre, transferring a few books at a time etc, the only thing that finally worked was me reducing the max number of books per author to under 100.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Interesting, Ireally can't think of a reason why this should cause problems. It only caused problems when transferring to the SONY, correct?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
cartman
Connoisseur

yes, only when transferring(on the latest betas of 0.6 i also get an error message when transferring, I have posted that on the long beta thread). Just after the transfer and without disconnecting the device, calibre reads everything fine from the Sony. The problem shows when I disconnect the 505 and it tries to refresh its library.
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm in that case it seems like the SONY firmware can't deal with so many books by a single author.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
tfarrell
tfarrell began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Many file systems have limits on the number of items that can exist in an individual folder. These limits are usually relatively low, in the 150 to 250 range. I believe the (exceedingly common) FAT file system has such a limit. So, it may be the firmware system Sony is using, or it may be the file system of the disk that cartman has his Calibre library on.

Cartman, I would suggest checking the file system of your disk that you have your library on. If it's FAT, consider doing a backup, reformatting the disk to the newest and bestest file system Windows has to offer, and then restoring your data. If that's prohibitive (like, if it's your boot disk), consider getting an external disk to use for the purpose.
tfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
cartman
Connoisseur

My calibre library is on a NTFS disk. The SD card is FAT of course, probably FAT32
Old 07-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
FAT16 had a limit on how many entries could exist at the top level of a device. There was no limit within a sub-folder except that performance degraded if the entries got into the thousands.

I suspect it is some other firmware limitation.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:00 AM   #10
Colaveare
Colaveare began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Try renaming them back to Carl Barks only again.
Maybe you had a single one that was corrupted and it was creating issues.
I've noticed sometimes changing the metadata information to something different then back to it's original fixes some database issues...
Colaveare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:27 AM   #11
cartman
Connoisseur

It didnt work. I transfered 101 newly created comic ebooks with the same author (walt disney), and i lost all collections... of these 101 books, only 84 are being displayed. Now i will try to transfer 80 books/author, lets see what happens.