Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
dande
dande began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Title and Author display in Library

When importing other than .lrf into the Library how does one get the title and author to display properly - can you edit the file parameters before importing or somehow edit the entry display after importing?

don
dande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, dande, welcome to MobileRead.

While you're waiting for answers, how about telling us where you are from, and what you like to read?

Have you downloaded any of the books available here?

Lots of great info here..............
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
dande

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Hello, dande, welcome to MobileRead.

While you're waiting for answers, how about telling us where you are from, and what you like to read?

Have you downloaded any of the books available here?

Lots of great info here..............
Texas - books - no -- ok so I have a smart a$$ sense of humor, or humour if you prefer. My question last night, around midnight, was my first after trying to get titles/authors to display for imported .txt .pdf and .rtf. I am catching on to the forum posting and WAS GREATLY impressed with the operation of the downloadable (is that a word) index of books. Had the 505 for just a few days and so far am happy with it.

Regards - dande
Old 06-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by dande View Post
When importing other than .lrf into the Library how does one get the title and author to display properly - can you edit the file parameters before importing or somehow edit the entry display after importing?

don
Welcome to MR, dande...

As to your question... I have the 505 and haven't played with the metadata yet. I think if you use Calibre you can change the metadata information to display it the way you want but, I am not yet a Calibre user.

Hopefully, a more experienced user will jump in with some help on this question. While you are waiting maybe search through the threads for a possible solution.

Have fun with your new toy
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
dande

ok - I downloaded Calibre and did edit the metadata and also downloaded part of the MD from the net with Calibre - isbn, publisher, cover, etc. for a .txt book. I did not want Calibre to interfere with the Sony Library so pulled my e-book folder to another drive (actually installed Calibre there also) and had Sony Library turned off. Thought the directory/file structure Calibre made was rather cumbersome. Anyway, after exporting/saving from C in .lrf format (thinking Sony Library would like that better) I moved the newly created .lrf file back to my C:\ebook folder and imported it into the Sony Library software and lo and behold, everything was displayed correctly with the book cover displayed when the book was opened. The whole process seems rather busy just to get the title and author to display correctly in the Sony Library and Reader. Any comments or tips to simplify my wants and needs <grin> are welcome ...

dande
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Sorry, Dande--unfortunately, Sony doesn't let you change the metadata. Calibre is the only way to do it.

From what I've read, you can use Calibre to import directly to your ereader, but I haven't done it yet. You probably can import from Calibre and then refile your books into your original file folders, deleting the Calibre ones afterward. JM2cents
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
dande

I'm doing the latter now - I find the Sony Library pretty good for getting books into the reader - Collections makes it fairly easy to sort by title or author (Reader or Library) If I do run the files thru Calibre then I do gain title and author on other than lrf books and can more easily sort. As mentioned above, I don't care for the way Calibre structures its library - too many folders and files. Once the meta data is in the lrf file I make with Calibre, I am happy to let Sony Library take it from there. With just one file per book! If the collections I have in the left pane appeared in the right pane I would be happier. However, after I get my files converted to lrf, with meta data, I will be able to sort in the right panel.

At this point I see no reason to let Calibre be my main library and import to the reader from it. Thanks to all for your input ...

dande
Old 07-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #8
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Tip - You can create collections in calibre as well, using tags. You can make them while editing the metadata
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
You can also export/save the lrf file from Calibre without having to muck around in the internal file structure of Calibre. After you get the book and metadata like you want, simply Right-click>Save to disk>Save only LRF format to disk
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
dande

Thanx jedavis1 - sounds like a winner - realize that I am a male and we don't read manuals and I had not stumbled across that one yet. I realize Calibre needs its epub etc files to function but all I am interested in is the lrf file with metadata.

dande

ps - nice looking atv . we have a ranch and several years ago bought my wife - disabled with MS - one and now couldn't live with out it