Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #166
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Can you show me where SeaKing said so? No? Thought so.
Umm.. yes, easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I have been wondering how much stock Apple has bought back to help maintain the price.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #167
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Umm.. yes, easily.
Well, maybe not.

In the spirit of keeping wild flying rumors about what I might have said closer to earth, I have to say that afv011 is correct.

1) He basically said I didn't say anything about Apple going into the dumpster. (this is a straw-man type statement)
2) Also he basically said I said nothing about Apple going private.

The statement you quoted of mine is correct but had nothing to do directly with those 2 items, and I stand by that statement. See the Murray Paul post for example.

And with the intention of full disclosure, I assert I have also made no statements or predictions what so ever as to the winner of the upcoming Superbowl. I await the prophecy of one of my son's who thinks he is a pro handicapper and then I will go against that just for to provide some lively conversation.
I actually like both quarterbacks.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #168
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Well, maybe not.
But you did say that you thought that Apple might have been buying back its stock to keep the share price high.

Which was the most important of those statements, I thought.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #169
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let us consider that point.

Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
"Nothing. But claiming that the reason why AAPL stock is still "at the heights" of $450/share and not in some dumpster (where it perhaps belongs) is that Apple has been busy propping it up via some quiet stock repurchases doesn't go beyond my definition of badmouthing."

In that statement using the word "dumpster" implies, at least on this side of the big water, that the stock would be very very low unless it was propped up.
That is a very large exaggeration, a far cry from what I said as seen below."

Originally Posted by SeaKing
"I have been wondering how much stock Apple has bought back to help maintain the price."

I assume that afv011 saw that difference.

Also perhaps some did not see Mr murraypaul's post at #153

Quote:
I have been wondering how much stock Apple has bought back to help maintain the price.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012...e-Program.html
Quote:
CUPERTINO, California—March 19, 2012—Apple® today announced plans to initiate a dividend and share repurchase program commencing later this year.
[...]
Additionally, the Company’s Board of Directors has authorized a $10 billion share repurchase program commencing in the Company’s fiscal 2013, which begins on September 30, 2012. The repurchase program is expected to be executed over three years, with the primary objective of neutralizing the impact of dilution from future employee equity grants and employee stock purchase programs.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #170
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
It's nice to be on the other side of these discussions.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #171
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
It's nice to be on the other side of these discussions.
So as not to complicate things, I will not post what my guru son has predicted for the Super Bowl.

The one thing I do know for sure is that Beyonce won't lip sync. (Not this time.)

Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #172
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
So as not to complicate things, I will not post what my guru son has predicted for the Super Bowl.

The one thing I do know for sure is that Beyonce won't lip sync. (Not this time.)

Lipgate! And no wardrobe malfunctions.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-31-2013 at 11:42 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #173
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:

Use spoiler tags.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:29 AM   #174
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
After all the people defended her and said it wasn't so, she admitted to it and said that she was late and didn't have time to practice. Anyway, it was her on the recording.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #175
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Lipgate! And no wardrobe malfunctions.
Is there a game?

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #176
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Well, it looks like Apple's strategy to boost its stock is working, well at least a percent or so.

Tech, The Street

"Apple Shares Jump on Buyback Rumors: Winners & Losers

By Chris Ciaccia 02/06/13 - 11:43 AM EST
Stock quotes in this article: AAPL, ZNGA, DDD, RIMM
inShare

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL_) shares reversed earlier losses, gaining 1.2% to $463.20, on speculation the company is accelerating its stock-buyback program.
More on AAPL

Twitter was aflurry with the rumor making rounds that Apple, which announced a buyback program in early 2012, would be speeding it up. In March 2012, Apple said it would spend $10 billion on a share-repurchase program and initiate a quarterly dividend of $2.65 per share. The Cupertino, Calif.-based company said it expects to spend $45 billion over the next three years."

more-
http://www.thestreet.com/story/11834...rs-losers.html

Last edited by SeaKing; 02-07-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 AM   #177
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
As they don't seem to have any ideas for new products, a buyback seems like a good use of idle funds, funds that belong to their stock holders, anyway.

Last edited by HansTWN; 02-07-2013 at 02:17 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #178
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
As they don't seem to have any ideas for new products, a buyback seems like a good use of idle funds, funds that belong to their stock holders, anyway.
You buy back stock when you feel that the return on the stock repurchased is greater than what it would be to invest otherwise.

Other investments could be...

- research and development
- capital investment
- acquisitions
- debt retirement (bonds)
- other investments (stocks, funds, bonds, interest bearing accounts)

Another option would be to pay investors via an increased dividend or a one time distribution. This option diminishes the value of a company (the company is worth its current value minus the distribution). If a dividend is paid quarterly, it can be attractive to investors looking for regular income. A one time dividend could be seen as a signal to sell -- you get your payout, the company is worth less, so you move on.

Apple has enough money to do all of these things and is probably doing most of them -- including paying dividends.

Buying back stock drives the stock price up. The value of the company does not change but there are fewer shares. Also, this increases the dividend going forward assuming no other changes -- same amount to distribute, but fewer shares to distribute it to.

So, a significant buy back should be good for those who purchase or hold AAPL and doesn't preclude other growth focused moves.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #179
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And buying back at mid-$400 prices makes a lot more sense than doing it when the price is at around $700
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #180
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
You buy back stock when you feel that the return on the stock repurchased is greater than what it would be to invest otherwise.
That is one reason why Dell and the BEST BUY founder are taking their companies private; they consider the stock to be undervaed and that they can reengineer the company for future growth that will make it more valuable. Later they can refloat the company and rake in big bucks then.
Buy low, sell high.

(Strictly-speaking it is a form of "insider trading", but a legal one since it is based on public data and personal opinion. )

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-07-2013 at 11:16 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote