Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
deferredreward
Enthusiast
deferredreward began at the beginning.

Device: KPW, former: PocketBook 360
Just got my PB360!

So, I finally took the plunge & chose an ebook reader. It's warming up on it's first 8-10 hour charge, I have lots of books ready to go for it - as well as some fonts, newer firmware, newer fbreader that I've found here. I'm sure I'll have to find a good theme too. Thanks to all! I've been messing with it while plugged in, so far so good - few questions though:
-Can you actually make notes on text, or just highlight lines & save them (I rarely take notes so, either way, whatever)?
-I don't seem to have the key combo for making a bookmark down...
-Other than Webster's 1913, are there any good dictionaries(English-English)? (free or otherwise, I'd be willing to pay for a really good dictionary)
-How do you do a double click with the power button, I can't get it to work at all?
-When I load books (4GB sdcard) should I organize them into folders on the card (with my PC)? What's a good way to do that - while using Calibre?
-Will Calibre send RSS feeds to the news folder?

Last edited by deferredreward; 01-10-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: more questions
deferredreward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by deferredreward View Post
-Can you actually make notes on text, or just highlight lines & save them (I rarely take notes so, either way, whatever)?
-I don't seem to have the key combo for making a bookmark down...
-Other than Webster's 1913, are there any good dictionaries(English-English)? (free or otherwise, I'd be willing to pay for a really good dictionary)
-How do you do a double click with the power button, I can't get it to work at all?
-When I load books (4GB sdcard) should I organize them into folders on the card (with my PC)? What's a good way to do that - while using Calibre?
-Will Calibre send RSS feeds to the news folder?
1) You can just highlight lines.
2) There are other dictionaries of dubious copyright state which can be found in other forums. The Russian forum the-ebook.org might be of help.
3) When the light gets switched on with the first click, you click the second time. It takes a bit of practice.
4) If you manage the reader with Calibre, you'll see that Calibre will take care of creating the folder organisation. You do not have to touch the folders made by calibre... in fact, you should not, as one forum member has posted in his signature, "peek under its skirt".ç
5) Yes it does.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
deferredreward
Enthusiast

Thank you! Another quick question - are the 500 books on the PocketBook website formatted well enough to be worth my download & perusal?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Yes, they're generally among the best formatted you're likely to encounter.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Welcome!

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your Pocketbook 360. I love mine!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Yes, they're generally among the best formatted you're likely to encounter.

I would also recommend the HUGE library right here on MobileRead. In my opinion, they are some of the best formatted books available - anywhere.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Oops, that's embarrassing. I actually mean to talk about this here library... I can't vouch for the PocketBook files, but the MR one is excellent. Thanks, Dr. Drib!
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
deferredreward
Enthusiast

Downgrade firmware?

Ah! Ok, yes, I've got around 500 books from everybody here! So, I understand pdfviewer doesn't work in 15.3, is it worth it to downgrade to 15.2 or 14.2? I don't have any ADE books (small town, local library has nothing), DRM scripts if I were to buy a book... so that's not a concern & I understand 14.2 was great. Also, where would I find it, would I lose my place in books or will themes/logos be affected by going back (I upgraded to 15.3 out of the box)?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I just wanted to add my welcome too! IMNSHO, you picked the best reader. I'm still loving mine.

Happy reading!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocketbook 360