Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #1951
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Skin Game release countdown

210 DAYS
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #1952
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

Waldo Butters and his one-man-polka-band!

I never pictured Butters as an Hispanic fashion model wearing glasses and grabbing an imaginary boob. Interesting insight into the character.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #1953
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I never pictured Butters as an Hispanic fashion model wearing glasses and grabbing an imaginary boob. Interesting insight into the character.
...or possibly a little insight into the mind of you—the viewer?

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #1954
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I had the same problem. I figured maybe I wasn't paying enough attention or something. I think I understand most of it now. I'm almost done the 3rd book and I'm still learning more about them. I really enjoy all the action. It seems like you can't go 5 pages without something exciting happening. The characters are great too, even the bad ones. Jim really has a knack for getting you involved with his characters.
I reread the series last December. Enjoyed it better than the first time
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #1955
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Dresden Files: The Carpenters by ~priscellie

*** Spoiler alert*** for Proven Guilty.
Spoiler:
It's the night after the attack on Arctis Tor, where all the Carpenter kidlets are reunited at Saint Mary of the Angels with a collective sigh of relief. From left to right: Matthew, Daniel, Molly, Charity, Harry, Hope, Amanda, Alicia. Because I felt bad that Michael wasn't in the scene, I included a sculpture of Saint Michael righteously pwning a random demon. Huzzah!

Last edited by alansplace; 05-08-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: oops...
Advert
Old 05-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #1956
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
I reread the series last December. Enjoyed it better than the first time
Oh this is definitely going into my annual re-read list. I have 3 series in there so far...Harry Potter, Dresden Files & Lord of the Rings.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #1957
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Hobbit

Quote:
Oh this is definitely going into my annual re-read list. I have 3 series in there so far...Harry Potter, Dresden Files & Lord of the Rings.
You might want to consider including The Hobbit along with LOTR.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #1958
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Harry Potter is definitely in my list for this year. Sometimes I think I am missing other great books by rereading. But lately I have noticed thay I don't read anything for months and rereading helps in getting back to reading.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #1959
din155
Guru

Quote:

The hobbit is a book that I never got beyond few pages
Old 05-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #1960
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
It confused you?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #1961
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
The early parts of the hobbit can be hard going for an adult (or maybe for anyone). Even now I have trouble, and I've read it multiple times. The early chapters feel excessively childish - each of these dwarves with their different coloured hats, is one detail that sticks in my mind. The first meeting with the trolls is another. Both feel like something you might be reading to a barely literate child. BUT it does get better, much better. From memory you have to get about a quarter of the way in (about where Bilbo meets Gollum) before it really starts to settle into itself.

At least, that's what I've always thought. I think it's worth persevering with at least once. I re-read it now mostly so the entire experience lasts a bit longer.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #1962
din155
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It confused you?
No, I am confused why I keept trying after many failed attempts.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #1963
din155
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The early parts of the hobbit can be hard going for an adult (or maybe for anyone). Even now I have trouble, and I've read it multiple times. The early chapters feel excessively childish - each of these dwarves with their different coloured hats, is one detail that sticks in my mind. The first meeting with the trolls is another. Both feel like something you might be reading to a barely literate child. BUT it does get better, much better. From memory you have to get about a quarter of the way in (about where Bilbo meets Gollum) before it really starts to settle into itself.

At least, that's what I've always thought. I think it's worth persevering with at least once. I re-read it now mostly so the entire experience lasts a bit longer.
Thanks for sharing your experience gmw. One of these days I will reach the end of the book and maybe watch the movie. I don't leave fantasy movies but Hobbit is an exception here.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #1964
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:

I know this sounds really backwards, but I want to watch the movie before reading the book. I'm worried it will be a little too childish for me...but then again I've read Twilight 6 times just for something *easy* to read.

I'll probably get it once I'm ready for a reread of LOTR. Usually around Christmas. I don't know what it is about Christmas that makes me want to read LOTR
Old 05-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #1965
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I just wanted to re-post something that I sent to alansplace the other day;

Just wanted to say 'thanks.'
You've always spoken of the Dresden Files so highly, and so a couple of years ago I 'tried' to read 'Storm Front' but couldn't get past the first 50 pages. But you continued to rain praise on the series, so a year later I tried again. Same results and I figured, well, it just wasn't my cup of tea. It happens...

But last week someone gave me an audiobook of 'Storm Front.' I've been walking for exercise, between 5-10km a day, usually listening to music to walk along with. But instead, I loaded up the audio book, and got so engrossed with it that I kept walking, and wound up walking almost 18km! Absolutely delightful story! My feet are killing me, but I can't wait to get back to it on my walk today. I'll certainly try to read the next in the series, but if that doesn't work, I'm sure the audiobook will! Thanks for being so persistent in your recommendation of the series.

Stitchawl
You're welcome!

...and ! I hope you keep enjoying the stories.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy