Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Bearbait
Bearbait began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
PDF Conversion doesn't see hidden text

I've searched for what might be a really simple answer but couldn't find anything, so here goes:

I have a PDF that was created by scanning and OCR using Prime Recognition OCR software. When I try to convert it to ePub, all I get are the scanned images of the text, not text from the hidden text. I know the OCR worked because I can search the PDF, and I can copy text from it.

Is there a setting or preference that tells Calibre to use the hidden text for conversion rather than the image of the text?
Bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
no. that is not supported.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Bearbait
Bearbait began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
OK, but now I'm really confused ... I have used Calibre to convert PDF documents that I've downloaded from the web to ePub with no problems. They look just like ePub books I've purchased. I assumed those PDF files were created from scans of the original, but perhaps I'm missing something here.

How does one get the text from scanned document into ePub format?

Last edited by Bearbait; 02-18-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Reading text under images in PDF is not supported by the PDF engine calibre uses. PDFs where the text is not an image but the actal text is supported.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote