Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #2596
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Xoom; Kindle Fire
"Talk between women friends is always therapy..."
- Jayne Anne Phillips

I've been reading her collection 'Black Tickets' the last week or so along with a variety of other things. She's written some wonderful short stories! (Wedding Picture, Slave, Sweethearts, Stripper.....)
kennyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:27 AM   #2597
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.
- E.L. Doctorow (RIP Mr. Doctorow you have given us much!)
Old 07-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #2598
bfisher
Guru
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.
- E.L. Doctorow (RIP Mr. Doctorow you have given us much!)
Thanks so much for posting that - a great writer.
bfisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #2599
kennyc

"It was a blonde. A blonde to make a bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window."
― Raymond Chandler, Farewell, My Lovely (born on this day in 1888)
Old 07-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #2600
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, NookSTR, KoboMini
Quote:
“Prejudice, a dirty word, and faith, a clean one, have something in common: they both begin where reason ends.”
Haper Lee | Go Set a Watchman

As an aside, I actually really, really enjoyed this book. I am an attorney, and a professor of law. I even teach a law and literature class. And this book in no way tarnished my experience of Mockingbird.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #2601
BenG
Innsmouth Swim Team
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyager, iPhone 6
“Happy," I muttered, trying to pin the word down. But it is one of those words, like Love, that I have never quite understood. Most people who deal in words don’t have much faith in them and I am no exception – especially the big ones like Happy and Love and Honest and Strong. They are too elusive and far too relative when you compare them to sharp, mean little words like Punk and Cheap and Phony. I feel at home with these, because they’re scrawny and easy to pin, but the big ones are tough and it takes either a priest or a fool to use them with any confidence.”
― Hunter S. Thompson, The Rum Diary
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:40 AM   #2602
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano, & a PC running Windows 9½.
.....Termination of activity, cessation from movement and opinion, and in a sense their death, is no evil. Turn thy thoughts now to the consideration of thy life, thy life as a child, as a youth, thy manhood, thy old age, for in these also every change was a death. Is this anything to fear? Turn thy thoughts now to thy life under thy grandfather, then to thy life under thy mother, then to thy life under thy father; and as thou findest many other differences and changes and terminations, ask thyself, Is this anything to fear? In like manner, then, neither are the termination and cessation and change of thy whole life a thing to be afraid of.
..........— Marcus Aurelius (121–180), Roman Emperor and Greek Stoic philosopher. The Meditations (George Long translation), Book IX: 21.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #2603
kennyc

"The traveling salesmen fed me pills that made the lining of my veins feel scraped out, my jaw ached... I knew every raindrop by its name, I sensed everything before it happened. Like I knew a certain oldsmobile would stop even before it slowed, and by the sweet voices of the family inside, I knew we'd have an accident in the rain. I didn't care. They said they'd take me all the way."
— Denis Johnson (Jesus' Son - Car Crash while Hitchhiking)
Old 07-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #2604
kalwisti
kalwisti is slicker than a case of WD-40kalwisti is slicker than a case of WD-40kalwisti is slicker than a case of WD-40kalwisti is slicker than a case of WD-40kalwisti is slicker than a case of WD-40kalwisti is slicker than a case of WD-40kalwisti is slicker than a case of WD-40kalwisti is slicker than a case of WD-40kalwisti is slicker than a case of WD-40kalwisti is slicker than a case of WD-40kalwisti is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Nook ST, Nook Glowlight
"We observed that the wind always changed, when Mrs. Pardiggle became the subject of conversation: and that it invariably interrupted Mr. Jarndyce, and prevented his going any farther, when he had remarked that there were two classes of charitable people; one, the people who did a little and made a great deal of noise; the other, the people who did a great deal and made no noise at all. We were therefore curious to see Mrs. Pardiggle, suspecting her to be a type of the former class . . ."

--Charles Dickens, Bleak House (Chapter 8)

Esther's suspicions are confirmed when we meet Mrs. Pardiggle; she is indeed a "type of the former class."

I was hesitant to commit to reading Bleak House, due to its length, but I'm really enjoying it. Esther is a compelling narrator and is more "clever" than she presents herself to be.
kalwisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM   #2605
bfisher
Guru
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
"The age of luxury was ended, and that of comfort had begun" - Nancy Mitford, "Love In a Cold Climate"
bfisher is online now   Reply With Quote