Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
Maike13
Connoisseur
Maike13 began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad 1st Ed.
OMG!!! My WPA wireless connection is actually working

Been messing with this for about three weeks. My iliad would connect with no encryption but not with either WEP or WPA turned on. Tried everything I could find suggested on here but without success until..... suddenly it worked. Not sure what I did that finally fixed it, but here's what I did today in case it's of help to someone else.

1. Used the wpatch scripts from here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20234
to increase the time that the iliad tries to connect. I'd tried this from early on but for some reason the installpatch.sh script didn't replace the old wireless.sh file on my iliad and I ended up having to copy it over manually.
cp /media/card/wpatch/wireless.patch /usr/bin/wireless.sh
You might want to save a copy of your original wireless.sh. wpatch includes an original version but it might be an older version than your original. I only realized today that this installer script wasn't working, so this may have been the main problem all along.

2. Used the suggestion for creating the wpa network entry from here
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_Supplicant
to modify the /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file. I took a copy of the wpa_supplicant.conf example file and deleted all the network examples. Make sure you hit enter at the end of the file to create a new empty line so the network information you're going to append isn't connected to the last text in the file. Create the network information using
wpa_passphrase ssid "passphrase" >> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
I'm not sure this file is actually used or that this change really made any difference but that's what I did. If you're desperate, like I was , you might want to try it.

Either 1 or 2 or both got my connection working (pressing the connect button). I also wanted a persistent connection so I used the User Friendly Wireless Network Management scripts from here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14718
One odd quirk with these is they seemed to configure themselves based on the first connection I tried, which was without encryption enabled, and then wouldn't work with WPA enabled (even though the connect button was now working with WPA). I had to delete the scripts and copy a new unused set (the wireless folder) onto the SD card. Then this worked too.

I'd really like to thank everyone who contributes to this forum for the many great posts that helped me get this working, and particularly thetechnobear and alanine for their scripts.
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote