Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #1036
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreib View Post
- have a Low Battery Warning!!!
Yep - the absence of this is still one of the oddest things about the Touch from my point of view!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #1037
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Yep - the absence of this is still one of the oddest things about the Touch from my point of view!
Seconded! My Touch has caught me out a couple of times.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #1038
Caramon77
Enthusiast
Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hello! I am a new user.

I would like to have a function that let me change fonts even if the CSS for the P or the SPAN want to use an embedded font. Actually on the Kobo Glo (and on the nook) i ca change font only if it is specified for the BODY or if there is no embedded font (obviously)

So : - forced font changing

In addition i think would be useful:

- forced margins/line height change
- full screen view of any image
- inline text correction (if i find an error i would like to correct it)
- new setting for page change : only a small portion of screen enabled for page turns, the rest disabled to let me hold the device even with a finger on the screen.
Caramon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #1039
Caramon77
Enthusiast
Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramon77 View Post
Hello! I am a new user.

I would like to have a function that let me change fonts even if the CSS for the P or the SPAN want to use an embedded font. Actually on the Kobo Glo (and on the nook) i ca change font only if it is specified for the BODY or if there is no embedded font (obviously)

- new setting for page change : only a small portion of screen enabled for page turns, the rest disabled to let me hold the device even with a finger on the screen.
Sorry maybe i have to post this in the generic Kobo Firmware requests
Caramon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #1040
Bidibulle
Enthusiast
Bidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara Hd
Deleted. Wrong thread

Last edited by Bidibulle; 10-19-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Bidibulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #1041
Uriens
Uriens began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroe View Post
Something I'd like is to be able to have the option to touch a word on the screen and have its translation come up as a default (instead of the dictionary). I would find this handy whenever I am reading French books and want to know the English word but don't like the excessive tapping to get to the translation dictionaries.
I second this!

Actually to have a translation by now I have to:
1) long tap the word;
2) tap the dictionary icon in the corner;
3) tap translation...

Three taps to get a translation are really annoying!

It could be useful to have an option to get the translation just from the first one!
Uriens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #1042
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I would like to have

- customizable font settings for menus and pop-up boxes. It would be nice if the user could customize at least the font size used in menus and pup-up boxes. Ereaders are a great relief for weak-sighted people by allowing them to adjust the font size of books according to their needs. However, being unable to select a book from the library or read dictionary entries without using a magnifying glass breaks the fun.

- customizable order of translation dictionaries. Say you would generally prefer translations from English to German, and would like to look up in the English-French dictionary in case the English-German dictionary does not help.

- the option of adding custom dictionaries, even if the functionality might only be rudimentary.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #1043
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo Touch home screen looks better with 2.1.5 less cluttered and easy to navigate but the carousel of 5 book covers is near worthless for my 65 year old eyes. I can easily read title and author on only 2 largest covers and maybe title on 3rd smaller 2 covers with bright illumination. While library book lists with even smaller covers I can easily read Title and Author. Not from tiny decorative covers but easy readable captions.

It is long past time to have realistic 2 rows of 3 covers on home screen of 2nd largest present cover size on home screen with always readable captions below covers.

Another good option would be to have Reading covers on home screen displayed same as Discover covers with captions below covers which is better with it's Synopsis pages.
But this might be really too slow responding with books on SD card.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #1044
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Well done with firmware 2.5.1 . When scrolling through Books in KT Library using page slider it is so fast and responsive what I could only hope for months ago. For major improvement for this use, page slider should displaying title or author in pop up location box while scrolling instead page numbers.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #1045
Aurora borealis
Ebook addict
Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Aurora borealis , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo touch
First off, I want to say thank you for this firmware It's a major improvement over the 2.0 firmware. Navigation to the home screen and shelves is way quicker, and I love how the clock now shows after only one tap in the middle of the page. However, I have a few complaints:

1. The new line at the bottom part of the home screen and library is ugly and useless. In the home screen, it's above the "You have X books in your wishlist" text, in the library it's above the bottom arrows. I just... don't get why it's there. I makes the home screen much more cluttered. It would look 10 times better if the line was not there (the text could stay, if it must - although I'm sure there are more elegant ways to display that information - the line is really what makes my eyes bleed). Same goes for the library.

2. Please bring back the option to browse the library/shelves by showing a single book at a time (cover + summary, etc). It was available a few firmwares back, and I found it extremely handy when trying to decide what to read next. Now if I want to check the summaries of a couple books on a given shelf, I have to tap the book, tap "see more information", read the summary, close it, tap another book, etc, etc. It's quite painstakingly slow, compared to browsing directly in a single book view.

3. Please bring back the hearts for quickly adding books to the shortlist!

4. Highlighting. I love highlighting my ebooks. It only took one tap in the previous firmwares, now it takes two because highlight and annotations have been grouped under the same icon. I understand the desire to keep the cluttering of the bottom bar to a minimum, but this is simply inconvenient.

Last edited by Aurora borealis; 10-25-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Aurora borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #1046
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora borealis View Post
2. Please bring back the option to browse the library/shelves by showing a single book at a time (cover + summary, etc). It was available a few firmwares back, and I found it extremely handy when trying to decide what to read next. Now if I want to check the summaries of a couple books on a given shelf, I have to tap the book, tap "see more information", read the summary, close it, tap another book, etc, etc. It's quite painstakingly slow, compared to browsing directly in a single book view.
I never used the single book list, but liked the addition of the Details view. What I want is next/previous buttons on the details view. That way I can find the books in the library lists or search, open the details and step through them until I find the exact one.
Quote:
I don't care about the Shortlist as it is just a shelf. I would care if there was a way to have replace the list on the home screen, or only one press away. But, I'd prefer them to let me select a shelf for this.
Quote:
4. Highlighting. I love highlighting my ebooks. It only took one tap in the previous firmwares, now it takes two because highlight and annotations have been grouped under the same icon. I understand the desire to keep the cluttering of the bottom bar to a minimum, but this is simply inconvenient.
I agree with this. The highlight and note buttons down the bottom and the dictionary and translate options on the pop dialog was a lot better.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #1047
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Yes please. Was an easy way to add books to a special shelf, plus, it looks nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't care about the Shortlist as it is just a shelf. I would care if there was a way to have replace the list on the home screen, or only one press away. But, I'd prefer them to let me select a shelf for this.
Oh good idea! Except for maybe one or two books that are currently being read (really being read, not in the (stupid) "I'm reading" thing). Or just pin books to the home screen. So you can pin the few books you're currently reading, and the books you want to read next...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Quote:
I agree with this. The highlight and note buttons down the bottom and the dictionary and translate options on the pop dialog was a lot better.
Me too.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #1048
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Cybook Gen 3, Google Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramon77 View Post
Hello! I am a new user.

Calibre can strip this information for you.

GoingDown posted this comment when I asked the same question.

"In calibre, you can run book conversion from epub to epub, and when converting, select everything from under "Filter style information" in page "Look and Feel".

That will strip almost all formatting "

and it works perfectly.

Cheerio John
johnwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #1049
4ll4n
4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
Calibre can strip this information for you.

GoingDown posted this comment when I asked the same question.

"In calibre, you can run book conversion from epub to epub, and when converting, select everything from under "Filter style information" in page "Look and Feel".

and it works perfectly.

Cheerio John
Yeah, but it's a pain to have to do that for every single book in your library when a simple firmware tweak could force formatting for you
4ll4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #1050
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post

and it works perfectly.

It doesn't work perfectly for me. Sometimes (1 out of 20) I will get text off the page when I strip margins.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote