Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Fictionwise 100% Micropay rebate on Tolkien titles

The post title says it all. Just got the email from Fictionwise a few minutes ago.

Edited to add: I just checked the Fictionwise site and indeed they are there. The price is right!
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
BookLoverToo
Enthusiast
BookLoverToo doesn't litterBookLoverToo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
30% off all multiformat Dark Fantasy and Fastasy, and 30% Micropay on secure versions as well! I just bought a couple of books, and the TAXDAY coupon code took an additional 15% off the 30% discount. The TAXDAY code is good until April 21st I believe, even though it is no longer advertised.
BookLoverToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookLoverToo View Post
30% off all multiformat Dark Fantasy and Fastasy, and 30% Micropay on secure versions as well! I just bought a couple of books, and the TAXDAY coupon code took an additional 15% off the 30% discount. The TAXDAY code is good until April 21st I believe, even though it is no longer advertised.
Thank you for the TAXDAY reminder!!! I was able to apply it to my Tolkien order! Pretty good deal.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:13 AM   #4
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Just to point out, the TAXDAY discount gives and takes away. If you use it on a 100% micropay rebate title then you actually pay the 15% right back as it decreases the Micropay rebate. Either way it is a wash so it really does not matter is one uses the code or not.

For example on a $9.99 title with a 100% MP rebate you get $9.99 back. Using the 15% code the title costs something like $8.49 and you get $8.49 back. The only difference is your upfront cost is less now but you lose on the rebate end. Net result is the 15% does not help on 100% MP rebate titles as much as titles w/o any MP rebate. Same goes for any title with a MP rebate but to a lesser degree.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've just bought "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings". I've posted a review of the quality in the thread in the Kindle forum.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
All I can Say is ABOUT TIME.

There have been long stand requests from Fans for these for a long time so I'm glad Harper decided to release them in ebook Format.

I'm not too keen on the prices though, as I can get a a Paperback of the trilogy for £10 and a box set for £15 which works out to about $15 to $22 which makes the list price of $15 each or $29 for all three a little bit inflated.

While the current discount does bring the price down quiet a bit, I'm of the opinion that the ebook price should be close to the cheapest paper price, or below.

Still will have to see whether I can resist the temptation to get them now, or wait till I actually have the time to read them.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've just bought "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings". I've posted a review of the quality in the thread in the Kindle forum.
If you placed it in the Kindle forum, I assume you bought in the amazon's mobi format. I'm interested to buy the mobipocket version for my Cybook. How are the maps? Are they legible? (I don't care if they are in B&W, but they should be big enough to be easily readable. Most fantasy books I've bought come with thumbnail sized maps or such low resolution ones that are useless).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I reviewed in the kindle forum thread since it seemed to be the most active thread on the subject.

Here's a link to the review
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=62

Briefly, the images are as good as can be expected at present in size - in the lord of the rings, some are even bigger than screen resolution.

But LOTR is missing the map of the west of middle earth, and the map covering just Rohan, Gonder and Mordor. The map of the shire is 574x984 pixels, and at full size the lettering is legible, but in monochrome - the red lettering in the printed maps is in grey. The ring inscription is only 255x80 pixels - I'd have liked it a bit larger. The gates of moria illustration is 555x885. Gimli's pedigree is 930x1228. I haven't checked on the CyBook to see how that scales down. The other pedigrees are a little smaller, the smallest being Sam's at 680x953. The letters and runes tables are similar - perfectly legible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
If you placed it in the Kindle forum, I assume you bought in the amazon's mobi format. I'm interested to buy the mobipocket version for my Cybook. How are the maps? Are they legible? (I don't care if they are in B&W, but they should be big enough to be easily readable. Most fantasy books I've bought come with thumbnail sized maps or such low resolution ones that are useless).
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
SOunds good to me. I have only the paper books in portuguese, which don't have any colour text in the maps, so I guess I won't miss anything (unless the grey is too light, but you've already said it's legible).

The images and maps are indexed?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

There's a list of illustrations. I very much doubt that the text on the maps appears anywhere in a searchable format.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
SOunds good to me. I have only the paper books in portuguese, which don't have any colour text in the maps, so I guess I won't miss anything (unless the grey is too light, but you've already said it's legible).

The images and maps are indexed?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
paperless
paperless began at the beginning.

Device: none
All the new Tolkien ebooks are available at BooksOnBoard - 30% straight discount off of list. A great deal for non-proprietary readers. http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...SEARCH=tolkien
paperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
What sucks about this is that I need to have a micropay balance that's big enough to cover the price before discount. That sucks!
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
Just to point out, the TAXDAY discount gives and takes away. If you use it on a 100% micropay rebate title then you actually pay the 15% right back as it decreases the Micropay rebate. Either way it is a wash so it really does not matter is one uses the code or not.

For example on a $9.99 title with a 100% MP rebate you get $9.99 back. Using the 15% code the title costs something like $8.49 and you get $8.49 back. The only difference is your upfront cost is less now but you lose on the rebate end. Net result is the 15% does not help on 100% MP rebate titles as much as titles w/o any MP rebate. Same goes for any title with a MP rebate but to a lesser degree.
Well, the way I see it, it's the difference between cash in my pocket and cash in Fictionwise's pocket.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

The 100% rebate only applies to credit card or Paypal purchases, not purchases with micropay.

You have to give fictionwise new money to get the 100% micropay rebate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edembowski View Post
What sucks about this is that I need to have a micropay balance that's big enough to cover the price before discount. That sucks!
Old 04-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Absolutely. If you want to increase your micropay balance, you can just buy micropay. You should apply all the discounts you can, even to 100% rebate books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Well, the way I see it, it's the difference between cash in my pocket and cash in Fictionwise's pocket.