Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #391
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
If you are looking for a charger system, I recommend the iGO system (www.igo.com). I think it was JS Wolf who turned me on to it. It consists of a main charger and then you buy plugs designed for the items you want to charge. Now when I travel I use the iGO set to charge my Sony 505, my cell phone, and my MP3 player. All I need do is swap the plugs rather than carry each items charger.
That's the system I use, and it works great for the reader. In addition to wall, car and airplane charging, you can even buy a small iGo battery pack that takes two AA batteries and use that to charge your reader, cellphone or iPod while you are out and about.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #392
Luigino
Groupie
Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
XPDF: http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/

The trick will be getting a version built for and installed on the PRS-505.
______
Dennis
interesting!... I'll keep noted thanks McCunney for sharing the info :-)
Luigino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2008, 08:13 AM   #393
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I just tried out my first epub book (Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer) and noticed that it uses an embedded font.. at least, I'm pretty sure it's embedded. It's not my custom flashed font, nor does it seem to be Times New Roman (although maybe it is..?) It also has the actual page numbers in tiny script on the very right side in appropriate places. It's also left-aligned, not justified. Page turns are fast though, despite the embedded font. Very interesting.

P.S. I do, however, miss being able to customize margins and text size and font as I would normally through Calibre. I miss justification and having a little bit of white space around all the borders (my own preference, I just like it that way.. not a lot, a slim margin). Up til now I bought .lit books and converted to .lrf.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #394
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The Softcover is "Tan, man made". And I thought these things grew on trees.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #395
ladynikon
ladynikon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Reader 3 inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Wow, this is good news indeed! And with those new covers Sony Reader sure keeps getting better and better.
I SOOO want that book cover with the light on it.. but its 70 bucks
ladynikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #396
ladynikon
ladynikon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Reader 3 inch
I have ADHD pretty badly. I take online classes .. my textbooks come in pdf. I had to UNPLUG my laptop from the internet to read. I usually only use my sony reader to read novels but NOW.. with the new PDF support. I put my textbooks on my sony reader.. THANK YOU SONY!
ladynikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #397
Linda
Enthusiast
Linda began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minda View Post
I was having that same problem. I followed the instructions in the DE help for the PRS-505:
http://www.adobe.com/products/digita...er_sony_reader
I had to connect the Reader, open DE, use my adobe login to authorize the reader with Adobe. To get my DE book to work on the Reader I had to make DE show my books in a list by using the list icon on the top right, and then dragged the book to the icon for the PRS-505 on the left.
Once I disconnected the reader from the computer it took it about 5 minutes of showing the arrows chasing each other in a circle before it let me see the DE book! Frustrating! I could cry all over again, but it worked. I hope you can get yours to work too!

I still am having problems even after following all directions. It could be because I am trying to load a public library book (PDF) onto the reader. It loads onto reader - tells me how long it is, etc. But when I look at the Reader - there is only one page and I get the message "protected page". I thought I had read that you could load public library books onto the Reader. Will this happen when I buy a book in PDF from from vendors such as "Books on Board", etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #398
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Linda--I've been able to successfully load a DRM'ed PDF library book on to my Sony Reader. I used the digital editions software to load the file on my reader. It then shows up when I view books by title. I don't know if it's just this book or not, but it doesn't show up at all when I'm viewing books by author. (It also shows up when sorting by date.)

Maybe the title/author information isn't input correctly for the book you are trying to load. Have you tried another book to see if you can load a different book?

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #399
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
I still am having problems even after following all directions. It could be because I am trying to load a public library book (PDF) onto the reader. It loads onto reader - tells me how long it is, etc. But when I look at the Reader - there is only one page and I get the message "protected page". I thought I had read that you could load public library books onto the Reader. Will this happen when I buy a book in PDF from from vendors such as "Books on Board", etc. Any help would be appreciated.
To load a DRMed PDF onto your 505, you'll need to have Adobe Digital Edition 1.5 installed on your computer. Then with DE running (and maybe eBook Library), plug your 505 into the USB port and then register it with Adobe. Then you use DE (not use if eBook Library would do for DRM PDF or ePub) to move the PDF to the 505 and it should then be readable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #400
Linda
Enthusiast

Dordale - the books shows up but just a page. I will try another book using Jon's suggestion and see if I can get it to work.

Thank you.

Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To load a DRMed PDF onto your 505, you'll need to have Adobe Digital Edition 1.5 installed on your computer. Then with DE running (and maybe eBook Library), plug your 505 into the USB port and then register it with Adobe. Then you use DE (not use if eBook Library would do for DRM PDF or ePub) to move the PDF to the 505 and it should then be readable.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #401
Linda
Enthusiast

Thank you!!

It worked and now I have downloaded the library book and I am no longer tied into buying so many books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #402
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Linda--Glad you got it working!! It is indeed nice to be able to read books from the library on my Reader!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #403
robinoz
robinoz doesn't litterrobinoz doesn't litter

Device: SONY E BOOK
Library downloads

Just thought you might like to know.

I downloaded a book from my local library in Sydney and it had a 4 day loan period. It loaded fine as described and also onto the 505.

At the end of the 4 days it became unaccessible as promised so I deleted it.

Looks like the publishers have got the book market well sewn up.

Robinoz
robinoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, digital editions, epub, firmware, pdf, prs500, reflow, update