Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #1141
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Somewhere after 2.4.1 is where things went wonky for me on my Kindle Fire HD. I don't keep that many books on my device, but I do see an empty shelf briefly before my books show up. It also won't keep my book open when I switch between apps. When I come back to Mantano, I get an error message that says "Error opening book." Luckily it still remembers where I was in the book when I reopen it, but it's still a pain in the butt. Going back to v2.4.1 has fixed my issues for now. I've even tried full uninstalls/deleting caches/deleting databases with no better luck. There's really nothing in the newer versions that I'm missing out on, so I have no problem with standing pat on v2.4.1 for a while.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #1142
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Nope, I was wrong. It didn't help to skip the covers. After a restart of the device I couldn't start Mantano. It seemed to work perfectly, but presumably the problem appears when you exit and then open an already imported library of books. Everything works fine so long you don't exit Mantano, after the initial import.
It really sounds like it's the Mantano app I would downgrade to what DD said if you have that or 2.4. See if that fixes the problem then you can rule out if it's your books or Mantano or Mantano's latest release.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #1143
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, I do believe this is an application problem rather than any database issue/corruption/change. I was able to re-install the older version and have it utilize a database that was, in fact, created by the one of the newer, troublesome versions. If there were any database changes introduced by the newer versions, I wouldn't think I'd be able to use that newer database with an old version of the app (without deleting everything and starting from scratch).

I was wrong about 2.4.1, by the way. It's the 2.4.0 version I'm using.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #1144
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Also, I do believe this is an application problem rather than any database issue/corruption/change. I was able to re-install the older version and have it utilize a database that was, in fact, created by the one of the newer, troublesome versions. If there were any database changes introduced by the newer versions, I wouldn't think I'd be able to use that newer database with an old version of the app (without deleting everything and starting from scratch).

I was wrong about 2.4.1, by the way. It's the 2.4.0 version I'm using.
That's the version I am using other than cloud issues it seems to be working okay. I agree with you on it's the app and not the database.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #1145
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I have reinstalled the old version 2.4.0 and imported the books again. (Getting expert on that...)

Everything (that I use) seems to work perfectly. No delays when loading. Easy to switch between apps and return to Mantano. After restart of device everything still works fine. Near instant switches between collections. Fast searches.

Happy reader again!

Big thanks for the suggestion to go to back to 2.4.0!

I have turned off auto update of Mantano...

Last edited by Adoby; 11-12-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #1146
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 (2012), Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4
Widgets still broken in latest version (2.4.5), but differently

The recent 2.4.5 release of Mantano Reader Premium appears to have fixed a lot of problems. However, the widget is still broken, although in a different way than before. When trying to open a book by tapping the widget, the message "App isn't installed." appears.

I've tried uninstalling the app and installing it again, but the problem remains.

Ah well, maybe in the next version I'll be able to have my current books accessible from the home screen again.

Update: I reported this problem to Mantano SAS on 11/15 and received a response today (11/16) that the problem will be fixed in the next release. Much thanks to the Mantano staff for their quick response.

Update 2: Version 2.4.6, just released (11/16), has fixed the problem.

Last edited by RichieTheK; 11-16-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Problem fixed
RichieTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #1147
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

2.4.5 seems to have fixed the issues I was having: delays opening, blank library upon first opening, "error encountered when opening book", etc.

Haven't given it a hard workout, but looks promising so far.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #1148
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Unfortunately it was totally unusable for me. I only tried it briefly before rushing back to 2.4.0.

When opening a book via Calibre Companion, Mantano seems to now physically remove the book from my standard epub directory and move it to its own directory. (Previously only the Mantano database was updated leaving the book in situ.) Once the book has been moved, obviously CC completely loses track of it and it can't be opened in any other reading app.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #1149
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Yeah... I can confirm there is some really weird behavior there with Calibre Companion if you launch your books that way. May want to avoid the update if that's how you use both of those apps like that. I just use CC to get the books on my device via the wireless connection. Then I import with Mantano into the db (it leaves the epub in the folder it found it) and launch from within Mantano's Bookshelf interface. So this doesn't really affect me. Hopefully that gets fixed for others, though.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:27 AM   #1150
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I can confirm that 2.4.5 seems to have fixed the problems I had. That M wouldn't start after a reboot. But I'll keep that 2.4.0 apk in store, just in case.

I don't use CC at all. I sync the folder tree with books on my Xoom from a folder tree on my NAS. And import from Mantano. And use the Mantano bookshelf to open books.

I never got any personal response back from Mantano support, to my error reports, but a fix can perhaps be seen as a better response.

Last edited by Adoby; 11-16-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #1151
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
New update does seem promising the only feature I'd really like added is the ability to hide the Cloud stuff from sight, unlikely to happen but after my disaster of a trial with it I'll definitely not be putting my money into their cloud and don't really want to see it waved in my face.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:18 AM   #1152
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
New update does seem promising the only feature I'd really like added is the ability to hide the Cloud stuff from sight, unlikely to happen but after my disaster of a trial with it I'll definitely not be putting my money into their cloud and don't really want to see it waved in my face.
What happen with the trial? I had a membership for almost a year on the cloud and it works most of the time.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #1153
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
What happen with the trial? I had a membership for almost a year on the cloud and it works most of the time.
When I tried it I got flooded on both my devices with sync error messages even on my homescreen, ended up removing the trial and deleting the mantano account pretty fast afterwards.

Possibly I was unlucky with the timing or something like that I suspect the amazon servers were probably to blame but as trials go it did the opposite of convincing me to part money.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #1154
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
When I tried it I got flooded on both my devices with sync error messages even on my homescreen, ended up removing the trial and deleting the mantano account pretty fast afterwards.

Possibly I was unlucky with the timing or something like that I suspect the amazon servers were probably to blame but as trials go it did the opposite of convincing me to part money.
Well that's not good. It works fine for me most of the time. I have too many devices not to use it. You only allowed like 4 devices with the basic plan though which I can't see paying more but now I have more than 4 devices it's tough picking which ones to sync.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #1155
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Unfortunately it was totally unusable for me. I only tried it briefly before rushing back to 2.4.0.

When opening a book via Calibre Companion, Mantano seems to now physically remove the book from my standard epub directory and move it to its own directory. (Previously only the Mantano database was updated leaving the book in situ.) Once the book has been moved, obviously CC completely loses track of it and it can't be opened in any other reading app.
The new version (2.4.5) of Mantano is a disaster for me. The program is just not functioning correctly, with forced closes and the top and bottom menus not appearing when they should in the book view. But then I've had problems with the program for the last 4-5 versions, with covers on some books failing to show up. I wrote them but they say they can't replicate the problem and I haven't had the time to follow up on it further yet.

But I just tested to see whether Mantano was making another copy of a book and I don't see that. I imported 2 books into Mantano from CC, then deleted the books from within Mantano's library. When I went into CC and did a search for books with missing files, those 2 books show up. So it appears CC and Mantano still use the same book files.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote