Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #16
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Glad to hear you're liking your Galaxy. It looks like a nice device. I like my iPad for now, but I'd like to see more and more competition among tablet makers. Competition works in consumers' interest, no matter what device we buy.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Great review thanks. The bad thing is every time i read these reviews i want to go out and by one.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 03:02 AM   #18
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
...you can potentially use the Galaxy Tab with an external mouse and keyboard (need to test and confirm)
It's working. I've even (successfully) tested the Apple bluetooth keyboard with Galaxy Tab.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #19
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
It's working. I've even (successfully) tested the Apple bluetooth keyboard with Galaxy Tab.
Hey mg
How do I set the Galaxy to change from 3G to Wifi and viceverse automatically? I have read that it should when I am close to a hot spot.
Also what model of keyboard you bought?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Thanks for the App Rec.

Will check it out. The only problem I may run into is that it may not show up in the Marketplace for me unless I take out my sim and pop in a UK sim (Ain't geo restrictions grand).

As an OT Thats one thing that Apple got right (or wrong depending on your opinion) that once the phone is linked to a specific account and through that to a country it does not care which SIM you have on it.
Opps, My bad! That should be "Green Power" not Cool Power. Sorry about that, I'll edit the original post.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #21
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Opps, My bad! That should be "Green Power" not Cool Power. Sorry about that, I'll edit the original post.
No Worries. I've done it more then a time or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
THats the standard Apple Blutooth keyboard right? Did it work as any standard Keyboard does or did it require a bit of Finessing.

Quote:
Think apple only has one Bluetooth keyboard model available right now, so probably that.

I'm looking to get a new Bluetooth keyboard but am torn on getting the Apple one as while it will work well with my MBP, iPad and iPhone, I'm not to sure about future compatibility with other PC's and the android tablet I'm considering.

I'm actually looking at getting one of the folding Freedom Keyboards, either the Dual Profile Freedom Pro

or the Single profile Freedom BTFRICON Version 4.0 i-Connect

Anybody have any Experiences with them ?
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #22
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My battery life is closer to 7 hours now that the battery has been cycled a few times. If it were a little longer I would be happier but it's good enough as long as I remember to regularly charge the Tab.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #23
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
My battery life is closer to 7 hours now that the battery has been cycled a few times. If it were a little longer I would be happier but it's good enough as long as I remember to regularly charge the Tab.
Tall?

Which Battery or Energy Saver apps did you download from Market in order to improve or keep an eye on that?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #24
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hey mg
How do I set the Galaxy to change from 3G to Wifi and viceverse automatically? I have read that it should when I am close to a hot spot.
I've tried my existing Bluetooth Apple keyboard: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MTMzNzg5MDM
Some video: http://ndevil.com/video-samsung-gala...enden-1612921/
It's working flawlessly. But I'm not really using it. Either with or without dock: I simply don't find any convenient position.
A friend of mine bought the dock with the integrated keyboard. Same there: The keyboard is way too close to the tablet. Like putting your PC's keyboard directly under the monitor...

Automatically connecting to WiFi has been working for me from the beginning. It automatically remembers networks and informs about new ones. I didn't have to configure anything for that. ("Network notification" is active, but this has been pre-configured that way).

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-17-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
THats the standard Apple Blutooth keyboard right? Did it work as any standard Keyboard does or did it require a bit of Finessing.
Not much fiddling necessary. Some video here: http://ndevil.com/video-samsung-gala...enden-1612921/
Standard Apple bluetooth keyboard, correct: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MTMzNzg5MDM
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #26
goodereader
Banned
goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Many, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Pocketbook, Sony etc.
The Tab is amazing! I really like it, its the most refined alternative to the iPad right now in terms of "out of the box" it does fit in your pocket and is much easier to transport around.

Its also coming down in price everywhere, Sprint, Verizon, US celluar and a ton of others have lowered the price. Sprint offers the best deal right now for 299 with a 2 year contract. The device is hella experience, but its worth it if you want a solid tablet.

The ONLY drawback on this device, is that in North America you are SOL in using it as a phone, which is the main draw, even on the USA commericals it shows people using the device to talk to people, only in the UK does it work as a phone, unless you root it, but the rooting procedure is complex, makes the Nook Color Android root look like a cake walk.

But good job! Tab is awesome! I had mine for like a month reviewing it and comparing it to the Apple iPad in a bunch of stress tests.

Another wicked feature is the DLNA, so you can access stuff on your PC right with your Tab, play videos, music etc!
goodereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #27
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Tall?

Which Battery or Energy Saver apps did you download from Market in order to improve or keep an eye on that?
I use Green Power, it works quite well.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #28
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The NC offers a great bang for buck product but I don't think I'll be happy with it as I wasn't planning on rooting. It is way too early to know whether it would be good for the long haul so nullifying the warranty is too risky for me personally.

Do you have to activate 3G on the Tab? That just adds to the cost and I'd be willing to throw down $499 without it at BB and forego any cheaper price to avoid being locked into a two year agreement.

And if you get it at a B&M store, you get a 30 day return policy!

Last edited by robertc88; 01-18-2011 at 10:23 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #29
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@Robert if you like tinkering and just like surfing/writing documents then the nook us a good choice. But if you need a serious computing device, the nook will not suffice. there are just too many missing components
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodereader View Post
The ONLY drawback on this device, is that in North America you are SOL in using it as a phone, which is the main draw, even on the USA commericals it shows people using the device to talk to people, only in the UK does it work as a phone, unless you root it, but the rooting procedure is complex, makes the Nook Color Android root look like a cake walk.
As a matter of interest, why won't it work as a phone in the US? Is voice functionality disabled by the carrier?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote