Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Seventh Son - Orson Scott Card

What a treat to revisit this favorite book of mine. I have each of my three daughters reading this summer 1 book that I've liked. My 11yr old is reading Seventh Son. Much to her surprise, she's enjoying it. We've been talking after she completes each chapter -- and I started reading it again myself. I tried to stay at her spot but eventually just couldn't help myself and so I finished the book.

Seventh Son is so good on so many levels. It's a fantasy book set in an alternate version of American history. The history parts just at some spice and flavor, it's not a serious "alternate history" book. The "magic" isn't like Harry Potter with witches, wizards, wands and spells. It's folk magic with hexes, come hithers, wardings and such. The characters are what make the book -- there are just so many wonderful characters.

There's young Alivn Jr. -- the seventh son of a seventh son. He's smart and precocious and it's hilarious how his questions really upset Reverend Thrower the minister at the church. The Reverend is a Christian and a "scientist" and doesn't believe in or accept magic even though lots and lots of magic goes on all around him. Given Card's own deeply religious nature, it's interesting that the Christian minister represents the bigoted side of Christianity.

There's "ma and pa" and their relationship is heartwarming and funny. Pa loves all his children and Alvin Jr. in particular, but he has an inner demon that has him trying to kill his own son from time to time. Ma is determined to raise her kids as good Christians even though she and the whole family practice the folk magic. An interesting source of great fun in the book.

Faith is the oldest daughter married to Armor of God Weaver. Armor of God is a devout Christian who fully believes in the "knacks" but thinks they are sinful. His wife has foresworn the use of magic but she manages to practice all sorts of magic without her husband knowing.

I could go on -- there are many more lovable characters. You'll find your heart warmed, you'll laugh out loud in parts and be near tears in others.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
It (as a series) had a good start --- kind of trailed off into inconsistency at which point I quit reading --- does it redeem itself?
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
It (as a series) had a good start --- kind of trailed off into inconsistency at which point I quit reading --- does it redeem itself?
It's been awhile since I read the series....am about done with the second book now. I don't remember being dissatisfied. The second book is not nearly as charming as the first --as it deals with the massacre of peaceful Indians. It's a good read for an adult, but I'm not going to press my daughter to read it.

I'm not sure I read it the first time I read the series...as it is pretty much the same timeline as the first book following other characters....well, through the first half anyway.

I enjoy OSC, though. I love the way he tells stories. I love is characters -- good and bad. I love the religious themes he winds into his books....without turning them (most of them) into "religious books". I love how he builds drama. He is my favorite author and this is one of my favorite series by him.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
kainne
Connoisseur
kainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: PRS-700
Faith is the oldest daughter married to Armor of God Weaver. Armor of God is a devout Christian who fully believes in the "knacks" but thinks they are sinful. His wife has foresworn the use of magic but she manages to practice all sorts of magic without her husband knowing.

Faith is Alvin's ma. Eleanor is the oldest daughter. Found this book slow to start but interesting enough to keep reading. I do have a lot of distraction at home though. 19 month old is the biggest.
Eventually want to read Ender's series.
kainne is offline   Reply With Quote