Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you primarily watch TV?
Premium Cable 14 14.89%
Basic Cable 13 13.83%
Satellite 19 20.21%
Antenna 5 5.32%
Internet 16 17.02%
Antenna + Internet 12 12.77%
I watch TV less than 1 hour per month 15 15.96%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
How do you primarily watch TV?

I hear a growing number of people watch TV over antenna.

I should clarify that the "I watch TV less than 1 hour per month" option is essentially that you don't pay for cable, satellite...don't owner a TV, don't watch TV shows over the net...etc. But you might watch TV sometimes over a friend's house.

Last edited by markbot; 01-20-2010 at 10:48 PM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I do; it's way cheaper. For those of you converted to digital, the antennas are not too huge, and the compression quality is much better than cable or satellite.

Mind you, usually I just read or listen to music.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I watch TV over antenna, internet, and have netflix. The cost per month...is the cost of netflix so less than $20.

Since I really don't watch sports, except for the occasional MLB or NFL playoff game, which is on broadcast TV anyway, this works for me and is really seems far superior on a cost/benefit basis to cable in general. I know the vast majority of households watch TV through cable though. When I am over my friend's or family's houses, I am amazed by how many TV channels they get...and even more amazed by how useless those channels are as the tv quality isn't very high in my opinion...so the cost doesn't seem to be worth it. why pay so much for the movie channels when you can get unlimited selection from netflix?
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have a plain old hand me down tv with an antenna. Of the three channels I reliably get (five if I turn on the HDTV converter) one has two of the shows I like. There are two other shows I watch on-line. Occasionally I will go on-line to watch a decorating show or something random; most of the networks here have decent websites.

Aside from the one-off cost of the antenna, I pay $0 for TV. I do miss being able to watch Biggest Loser the day it airs (I had free cable in my last apartment) but that does not seem worth the extra $35 a month basic cable costs here.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I watch telly via antenna. We thought about Foxtel/Austar (consider them cable/premium cable/satellite), but decided that a lot of what they've got extra is just crap, we'd get sufficient watchable stuff on free-to-air if we just Tivo'd it (a one-off cost for the Tivo box), and that, with our seachange move, we wanted to spend less time watching the telly and more time enjoying the point of the move (suffice to say, it's a pretty nice place to live). What that means is that pretty much everything we watch has been Tivo'd, and we're never watching as it's broadcast.

We're not really into much in the way of series such that we must have it now!, and never miss an episode (and it wouldn't make much difference anyway - it's often the free-to-air/antenna channels that have that content). I'll concede an exception in that we like NCIS, and were pretty happy the free-to-air/antenna channel had the recent newest episodes coming out less than a week after US broadcast.

We still watch lots of telly though (I sometimes miss from Foxtel a couple of the music channels and the cooking shows on the lifestyle channels), and our free-to-air still has a reasonably dominant position in bidding for content, and so we still get stuff on free-to-air pretty much straight away from OS (by which I mean, as early as it can be got - we're still usually behind, cable or antenna, on OS content).

I think things are different down this way.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Important option missing here: Microwave pay TV.
- Very important in Australia.

Last edited by AprilHare; 01-21-2010 at 12:03 AM.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
After being the last option for over a year, we finally got satellite TV back a few months ago. I still don't watch much prime time TV, and found myself watching Glee episodes via Hulu online because I am never home when they are originally aired. I do enjoy having Food Network and Home and Garden TV again.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #8
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Where I live there are only two choices - satellite or nothing. No cable available in the area, too far away from the nearest TV market for an antenna to work, and no high-speed internet (except satellite, which is way too expensive for my budget). Since I come from a family of rabid sports fans, needless to say we have satellite!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I don't watch television all that much anymore. Only time I ever really hear it on is when the family is using it. I do however watch a butt load of movies from my collection and blockbuster. Does that count? Regular sitcoms I don't really care for. I dont pay for cable channels and the movies shown on the regular channels cut out all of the good parts. So I stick to DVDS.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's just my impression, however it seems like American antenna TV isn't really into multichannelling yet. Here in Australia, we've gone from 5 analogue stations to more than 11 digital channels, with more to be added.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:17 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
As far as I know, you can't watch analog TV by antenna anymore. Only digital. The three Dutch channels are always free, if you want more, you have to pay. And the selection is not that large.

We have a premium cable subscription. The only thing we don't have are those channels you have to pay extra for (that is, above the default subscription for a premium service) (mostly movie channels and extra sports channels)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:51 AM   #12
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
As far as I know, you can't watch analog TV by antenna anymore. Only digital. The three Dutch channels are always free, if you want more, you have to pay. And the selection is not that large.

We have a premium cable subscription. The only thing we don't have are those channels you have to pay extra for (that is, above the default subscription for a premium service) (mostly movie channels and extra sports channels)
Australia will complete the transition to digital antenna by 2013.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:01 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The UK is currently in the middle of a switchover from analogue to digital TV - my part of the country switched off its analogue TV channels at the start of December last year. We can now get about 90-odd channels (TV and radio) via terrestrial digital broadcasting, the overwhelming majority of which are free.

Cable TV isn't available in the village in which I live (it's available a couple of miles up the road). Could get satellite, but I really don't watch enough TV to make it worthwhile - it's really aimed at people who like sports or movies, and I'm not a big fan of either.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-21-2010 at 03:06 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:15 AM   #14
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I've got cable, but I download most of the TV programmes I watch to my PC.

There are so many commercial breaks on our non-BBC channels that watching programmes as they're broadcast is unpleasant.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:49 AM   #15
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
I selected antenna and internet. I watch a lot of stuff from dvd mainly though.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote