Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-20-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Has your ebook reader widened your world

Having owned my Sony reader for 6 months now, I was just thinking "Hey this ebook reader has expanded my reading world". Have other people experienced the same thing or do they just read the same genre in ebook format that they previously read in pbook format.
Previously I read mostly thriller/adventure books but my recently read freebie ebook list has been :
Down Time series by John Feinstein(SF humour)
Please by Peter Darbyshire(General Fiction)
City of Pearl by Karen Traviss(SF/Fantasy)
Frenzy by James Causey(60's pulp fiction from munseys.com)
so I guess it has a major impact on my reading habits.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Since I prefer reading ebooks to pbooks, and available ebooks are a subset of available pbooks - I could argue that my eReader has actually narrowed my world.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:45 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
My world has been pretty wide already, so no.

It's only a gadget, after all, so no influence on what I read (maybe on where).

Only change is: I read a lot more then before.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
No it did not.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:02 AM   #5
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Since I prefer reading ebooks to pbooks, and available ebooks are a subset of available pbooks - I could argue that my eReader has actually narrowed my world.
dito
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:10 AM   #6
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Is that strictly true?
I'm currently on with some e-Book Classics that aren't available in print.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:40 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Is that strictly true?
I'm currently on with some e-Book Classics that aren't available in print.
As Ned very rightly says, it works both ways. Although there are many modern books which aren't available as eBooks, it's equally true that there are huge numbers of eBooks which are long out of print as printed books.

Take one of my favourite authors, for example, Sir Henry Rider Haggard. You'll probably only find two of his books in print easily: "King Solomon's Mines", and "She", but you'll find all 60+ of his novels in my 16-volume "Haggard Anthology" here on MobileRead.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I did try some different things that were available as free eBooks, that I might not have tried if they only had been available in pBooks.
Mostly these are books that were mentioned here on MobileRead, that I wouldn't have browsed if I hadn't possessed a Cybook.

So I guess I can say the same thing as you, tech_au.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #9
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
I've been reading a fair number of classics which I would never have got my hands on otherwise, including some pretty obscure stuff which would probably have required a visit to a major academic library to get hold of.

And while there are lots of modern books that aren't available in ebook format, there are also lots of books, particularly in the SF and Fantasy genre which I would never have seen in England, because a lot of books don't get published over here.

The multitude of free books also makes me more willing to try something new, because if I don't like it I haven't lost any money, nor even the effort of lugging it home from the library. I guess that means I start a lot more books than I finish these days.

The only disadvantage I can see is that I keep finding books that my friends would like and not being able to lend them on because my friends don't have ebook readers.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Take one of my favourite authors, for example, Sir Henry Rider Haggard. You'll probably only find two of his books in print easily: "King Solomon's Mines", and "She", but you'll find all 60+ of his novels in my 16-volume "Haggard Anthology" here on MobileRead.
Yes, thanks for those! Although... finding a rare Haggard in a 2nd hand bookshop used to be a cause of much rejoicing. Now I've got the whole set, all the joy has gone out of life.

(Only kidding )
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
And while there are lots of modern books that aren't available in ebook format, there are also lots of books, particularly in the SF and Fantasy genre which I would never have seen in England, because a lot of books don't get published over here.
I thought about the same thing, and forgot to mention it.
Lost of english language books aren't available here in France or take a long time to become available, so having the Cybook expands the list of books available.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #12
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I've forced myself to it down and read ebooks at times I might have thrown on the TV to justify the expense of the reader. Otherwise I'm not certain it expanded my reading, as I always had rather diverse taste.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Oh, definitely. I am reading authors I never would have thought of..........Richard Kadrey, Sir Henry Rider Haggard, Aldous Huxley, Sapper, Doctorow. And, of course, the infamous E M Forster, he of the "Passage to India".

These books are being read on the recommendations of members here, and I'm finding lots of new worlds to explore.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #14
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
Absolutely! I've picked up things like the Dr Thorndyke books from here (which I would never ever have come across in pbook), Lies of Locke Lamora (after recommendation from people in this forum), and the 'Odyssey' book recommended by Harry.

(And reading the Odyssey has also given me the kick up the backside I needed to start trying to learn Latin, which I've wanted to do for years!)

Last edited by Surfergirl; 11-20-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #15
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I buy a lot *more* books than I used to, since I used to subconsciously worry if I'd have anywhere to put books in my house, etc. So I certainly read a lot more, although maybe not necessarily more outside my usual habits. Also, since I'm currently living in Taiwan, distance has ceased to be a barrier to my purchasing - the only barrier is whether a certain book is available in an e-edition or not. I also like that if I read about a book on a blog or a review site or wherever, I can check it on an ebookseller site and, if I like it, download it - convert it if necessary - and be reading it on my Sony 500 *minutes* later.

I have, however, downloaded several out of copyright 'classics' with an intention of at least giving them a try. The most recent addition is Joyce's Ulysses, something I previously would have been pretty unlikely to purchase, but did download from one of the legal download sites.

Last edited by garygibsonsf; 11-20-2008 at 09:39 AM.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote