Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-12-2014, 02:24 AM   #1
Scarmandros
Scarmandros began at the beginning.

Device: None
Help! Formatting Internal Images is making me crazy!

Hi everyone! I'm sorry if this has already been address somewhere, but I'm going crazy trying to find an answer on my own. I'm a fiction author used to dealing with straight text, so when a friend asked me to help him format his non-fiction book I figured it'd be no trouble.

Problem is, his book is packed full of images. Maps, tables, graphs, all kinds of things. And every time I try to convert to Mobi, they shrink to the size of postage stamps. I've spent hours on Google, trying everything I can think of, but no luck.

Can anyone give a relative newbie a little advice on how to do this? I've tried everything from increasing the resolution of the images to increasing their physical size up as far as A3, but with no luck at all.

I'm using Word 2010 to format.
Scarmandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:01 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Scarmandros - what I know about MOBI would fit on a Penny Black, but here's my tuppenceworth.

I would convert the DOCX to EPUB and see what it looks like externally via the calibre viewer and internally via the calibre editor. That would give me a clue as to whether the problems are in conversion or Word.

I'd also try exporting from Word to a PDF - books such as your friends are often better suited to a paged format, which is what a PDF is, rather than a flowed format like MOBI or EPUB. It might give you a 'benchmark' with respect to appearance.

Others who know better will happen by, but you could try those ideas whilst you're waiting and maybe get some clues to pass onto them.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-12-2014 at 05:39 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 05:50 AM   #3
Scarmandros

Hey, thanks for your reply. I've actually tried all of those things already. We really want to get the eBook up on the Kindle marketplace, which is where the money is at. Epub and PDF both work fine already, it's just specifically the conversion to mobi that I'm having issues with. Blasted Amazon, always making a mess of things!
Old 09-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
hidden.platypus
Connoisseur
hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Android
You probably already tried this, but how about converting from Word to Epub, and then from Epub to Mobi.

Instead of converting directly from Word to Mobi. Or even from PDF to Mobi.
hidden.platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
Scarmandros

I didn't even know you could do that. Let me give it a try. One sec!
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
Scarmandros

Darn, no luck. Sad face!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Scarmandros - what are using to view the MOBI?

Also can you post some screen shots, what you see in Word, in EPUB and in MOBI.

BR
Old 09-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
Scarmandros

Kindle Previewer. And sure, here are screenshots:

Word:
http://gyazo.com/01d61646d299764cabb9602b7e088aaf

Epub:
http://gyazo.com/60324ab5c58ae298284678e402e80052
(ignore that it's off centre, that's just me being lazy LOL)

Mobi (Normal View):
http://gyazo.com/440bea5baabd6e426257d235426100b0

Mobi (Zoomed in on the image):
http://gyazo.com/ecb012427c710e182dc0916b41818b72

I'm using the latest versions of both Kindle Previewer and Calibre.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
hidden.platypus
Connoisseur
hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Android
The only other thing I can think of is to make a screenshot of the image save it independently and then insert it into Word. You probably don't have too much control over the image itself. Sure it appears its being resized in Word but how do you know?
hidden.platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

This is how to stop image resizing in Word 2007 - not sure if its the same in 2010

Click the Office button on the top left hand corner | Word Options | Advanced | Image Size and Quality for "Do not compress images in file"

Highlight the Picture > Under the Picture Tools format tab > check the Compression Settings in Adjust section.

But I don't think that's the issue - the issue is why is the image shrunk in Kindle Preview

If you using Windows, try the Mobipocket Reader ==>> Mobipocket Software to get a 2nd opinion, I've never 'trusted' that Kindle Preview s/w for some reason.

BR
Old 09-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
Scarmandros

My goodness, I think you might be right about not trusting Kindle Preview! I sent the mobi to my Kindle app on my tablet and tested it there, and the pictures (while small in the book itself) looked fine when I touched them to zoom them up. All this frustration, and it's just the software I was using the VIEW the file that's the problem! GRRR!
Old 09-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Scarmandros - truth be told I don't trust any software, including any of mine. Don't trust doctor's either. Hence I always get a second opinion on both

Now I'll have to find a Penny-ha'penny Red on which to put my MOBI knowledge

Good luck with your friends book and with your own literary endeavours.

BR