Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #31
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What did you find confusing about the installation instructions? I found them to be entirely straightforward - put the file in the root of the SD card, then press and hold the "Select" button when you got to the start-up screen. What's unclear about that? Perhaps you didn't know what the "Select" button was?

As to the choice of words; I stand by them. It fixed lots of bugs; it worked well. It was an extremely satisfactory upgrade, in my entirely personal opinion. I have no problem with other people having different opinions of it, however!
Select button? Did you guess now or was your instructions different from mine? The instructions I got said 'press the "Enter" key'. I did not find any enter key described in the manual and had some trouble installing because it was unclear which key to use.

The update worked but you are overpraising. What words are you going to use for something that really works well?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Select/Enter/Return - whatever you want to call it. It's all the same thing - the middle button of the navigation pad. Perhaps a language problem?

Quote:
What words are you going to use for something that really works well?
I'm sure I'll manage to come up with some appropriate phrase .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #33
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Select/Enter/Return - whatever you want to call it. It's all the same thing - the middle button of the navigation pad. Perhaps a language problem?
You cannot be sure what button it is since it is not documented. The problem was that I did another mistake so the update did not work. I then needed to confirm that I had used the correct button but that was impossible to confirm since nowhere in the documentation is it explained which button is the "enter" button. I would also never call the middle button in the D-pad for an enter button. It is like calling the mouse button on a mouse for "enter button" which is not done.

And what do you mean it is the same thing? You have to define your terms when you describe a device. You cannot use different words for the same thing in a manual.

So the update procedure barely worked for me.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #34
Zarkov
Zarkov began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You cannot be sure what button it is since it is not documented. The problem was that I did another mistake so the update did not work. I then needed to confirm that I had used the correct button but that was impossible to confirm since nowhere in the documentation is it explained which button is the "enter" button. I would also never call the middle button in the D-pad for an enter button. It is like calling the mouse button on a mouse for "enter button" which is not done.

And what do you mean it is the same thing? You have to define your terms when you describe a device. You cannot use different words for the same thing in a manual.

So basically what you had to do is run the procedure twice, in order to find the right button because of a not entirely clear manual. This constitutes ‘it barely worked for me’?. What do call it when a driver fails to install properly on your computer or a program crashes?

I think we have established that it’s not the most user friendly device and that bookeen isn’t the most communicative of companies, but you seem to be overly negative or even antagonistic about it.

Which is ofcourse fine and your choice but I think these (minor) problems will keep popping up over the entire lifecycle of the Gen3 and if it’s already causing you that much grief now, then perhaps a Sony or a Kindle would be more to your liking? These both seem to be a bit more polished and the companies definitely have larger and more professional staff.
Zarkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You cannot be sure what button it is since it is not documented.
The reason I call it the "Select" button is that it's the button you press to select a menu item. Perhaps I just made a lucky guess. Whatever the reason, the reflash procedure worked first time for me, and I had no problems at all with it.
Advert
Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
As if they would fix a critical bug in two days if it weren't a weekend. Because they are so concerned about customer satisfaction and quality service. What if they tested it before posting it? What if they didn't say it was going to be posted when it isn't? (gasp!)

But seriously. Save your system folder to your computer's hard drive. If the update sucks (which wouldn't surprise me at all), then you can just switch it out for your current system folder.

I know, I'm a freaking genius.
And what if it's not compatible and bricks the Gen3?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Saving the system folder will NOT work. The firmware is a lot more than what's visible in that folder.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #38
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Saving the system folder will NOT work. The firmware is a lot more than what's visible in that folder.
I appreciate this heads up, I didn't know the difference between firmware and software. So now I will wait for your approval before installing the update (assuming there is an update). Or have you already tried it and declared that it works perfectly?
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #39
gorman81
gorman81 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook g3
just another users opinion

My experience with the gen 3 has overall been good. I had problems at the start with the device refusing to go past the library screen unless i re-set/removed and replaced the memory card/switched off and on etc and even got the refresh for the system - this worked for 2 days then the thing reverted to locking up.
However, for some unknown reason the gen3 now has worked consistently for weeks without a problem!
As a mobile e-reader I am now very happy with the device. I am eagerly awaiting the "upgrade?" but really only out of interest rather than being in desperate need.
It does appear that users experience has been varied and I can fully sympathize with those whose readers still either won't work or have developed faults - it must be extremely annoying as Bookeen certainly never replied to my inquiries
either but the help I received from this forum was beyond price.
gorman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #40
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Firmware is a computer program that is embedded within the hardware of any device . Such as , for instance BIOS in a PC chip .

The system folder in the Cybook ' just ' contains files , but these can easily be deleted etc .
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #41
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
What do you mean with "extremely well"? The installation instruction was confusing for example. I would not call that working extremely well. Why are you using such extreme words?
Tompe,

What? You mean you didn't find those installation instructions to be clear and simple?!? Shame on you!

Seriousy, you're correct. The instructions left me scratching my head for a while. So I tend to agree that they're not suitable for the average user. But then, all of us early-adopters can't really complain we're just 'average' users now, can we?

I like the video someone made of the process and I'd combine that with a step-by-step breakdown of the process on a website. Come to think of it, maybe I *should* make a list - along with screen-grabs of the dialogs and steps needed to format an SD card and the like.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #42
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Sorry, but we're talking, what, nine buttons here? Four on the left edge, one on top, two on the right edge, a four-way navigation rocker and, inside the navigation rocker a central button. It's not as if you had to pick out the 'Enter' button from one of 104+, unlabeled keys.

And given how long you'd been using it before applying the firmware update - which would have to have been at least a few weeks - I find your tale of confusion unmoving. Especially since you're clearly a well-versed, intelligent, experienced computer user. Now if you had been my mother I'd recognize the challenge and do it for you!

No, there was no reason why you, personally, given your background, could not make a valid assumption as to what was meant by 'select', 'enter' or 'return'.

Still, if you were posting this to point out what a 'mainstream' or 'late-adopter' end-user might find confusing, I'd say you were spot on target. And this needs to be noted in any further instructions supplied with future updates.

Derek
Old 04-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #43
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
I appreciate this heads up, I didn't know the difference between firmware and software. So now I will wait for your approval before installing the update (assuming there is an update). Or have you already tried it and declared that it works perfectly?
We should be so lucky! But as you pointed out earlier, there is a need for an update - and probably a more clear set of instructions. Come to think of it, maybe I can create a simple set of documents which detail it and show some line-graphics of the various controls and steps... I've got Photoshop and time. Perhaps a mobi ebook of the steps, yes?

Derek
Old 04-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Not really, when I read about 'the first week' the first thought I had was: What is the definition of first week.
Well, with my accounting and payroll software background I was using the common method of naming. A fiscal year is based on the year it ends in... so Fiscal Year ending May 30, 2008 is your Fiscal Year 2008. The first week with a week ending date in April would be the first week of April. (Even if the week ended Friday/Saturday/Sunday, most business weeks end Friday or Saturday.

Considering the Bookeen is a company that does business and probably has accounting periods the first week would be the first week that has an April w/e date... still.

Now, they could have said the first "full" week of April. Or, if they meant the 7th they probably would have said the 7th. They probably should have been smart and went with underpromise and over deliever... announce that they release needed more time than anticipated and will be released by May 1st, even if the "planned" to release April 10th.

Also, the issue with the "select" vs "enter" button. Isn't this a French company... perhaps the name of the key just got lost in translation.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I've updated my Gen3 from the original firmware v476 to v538 and that worked just fine. Obviously I haven't tried the NEW firmware - it hasn't been released yet.

Good idea to wait and see if the general consensus is that the update works OK before applying it, if you're a little unsure about it.