Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #16
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not being a CyBook owner I would ask, do they have a history of releaseing updates that cause problems or are worse than the previous version?
There wasn't a real update before. This would be the first one. And to be honest, I'm in no hurry. There is nothing really wrong with my Cybook. Everything works for me as it is. A few thing could be improved, that's all. But of course I am curious
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #17
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
I guess it depends on your definiition of firmware. A system folder on the devices non-volitile RAM drive could be called firmware. I usually think of firmware as code stored in a ROM chip.

For example, in a PC, the BIOS is firmware but the OS is software... the only real difference is where it is stored. Also firmware is usually specific to a specialized piece of hardware.

BOb
Well then, except for the most insignificant boot driver burned into ROM - and I'm sure there is one somewhere on the SBC inside, quite possibly in the main chip - it would all qualify as software. But pretty much ALL of it is loaded into the static memory on board. And this is pretty much specific to this device. The OS has been stripped down to the bare essentials for the ebook reader, it has been customized to expect and scan the control buttons, I/O ports the device has and has a custom set of drivers for this specific display. And while the reader is an 'app' in every sense of the word, it too is specific to this device and this OS and is burned into the firmware storage medium.

So I feel quite comfortable calling it all 'firmware'.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
There wasn't a real update before. This would be the first one. And to be honest, I'm in no hurry. There is nothing really wrong with my Cybook. Everything works for me as it is. A few thing could be improved, that's all. But of course I am curious
Exsqueeze me?!? Not a real update??? Since when? I quite distinctly remember getting major feature add-ins when updating from 0.91 to 0.95. And more upon the 0.98 update. I'm not talking about minor bug fixes, but actual app feature upgrades.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #19
solodoc
Connoisseur
solodoc began at the beginning.

Device: CybookG3...
It certainly describes it here
http://www.bookeen.com/specs/ebook-software.aspx
solodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:05 PM   #20
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Those are the first seven days

On my calender a week starts at Monday.

So the first real week in April = April 7th - April 13th

Don't you feel a little silly saying this?
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2008, 02:19 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
But seriously. Save your system folder to your computer's hard drive. If the update sucks (which wouldn't surprise me at all), then you can just switch it out for your current system folder.

I know, I'm a freaking genius.
Er, no, that will certainly NOT allow you to reverse a firmware update. The firmware is "invisible" - it's not what appears in the system folder.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:20 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not being a CyBook owner I would ask, do they have a history of releaseing updates that cause problems or are worse than the previous version?

BOb
No, absolutely not. There's only been one "unofficial" firmware upgrade available so far (the upgrade to firmware v538) and that fixed all sorts of bugs which had been present in the earlier version. It worked extremely well!
Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 AM   #23
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
Don't you feel a little silly saying this?
Not really, when I read about 'the first week' the first thought I had was: What is the definition of first week. The week that includes the first? That one ended at the 6th or the 5th. That depending on your (religious) believes about the first day of the week, sunday or monday. Unless you work with a business week, that ended at the 4th. Or do you look at the first 7 days? Or at the first 'complete' week in April. That one started at the 7th (or the 6th).

You can have a similar situation in a year. Some years have 53 weeks. Example: the last week running from Dec 28 to Jan 3th. And then the first week of the year is not running from Jan 1-7 but from Jan 4-11.

There are more weird thing in calenders. Officially spring starts around March 21nd. Except when you work in meteorology, then it starts at April 1st.

Christmas is at Dec 25. Except when you are a member of the Russian Orthodox church like my mother. Then it is at Jan 7th.

That learned me to never assume anything about dates

Last edited by Ortep; 04-08-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:36 AM   #24
Ortep
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Exsqueeze me?!? Not a real update??? Since when? I quite distinctly remember getting major feature add-ins when updating from 0.91 to 0.95. And more upon the 0.98 update. I'm not talking about minor bug fixes, but actual app feature upgrades.

Derek
Yes, but you are one of the (lucky?) beta testers . I am a 'normal' customer. I was in the first batch and are stil running build 4xx. I never had an update/upgrade.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:11 AM   #25
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
- - - - - Ditto - - - - - -

My Cybook does what I need it to do , so I too am just a mite curious to what new / better bits will come in the update .
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:13 AM   #26
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

There are more weird thing in calenders. Officially spring starts around March 21nd. Except when you work in meteorology, then it starts at April 1st.

Huh ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:15 AM   #27
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, absolutely not. There's only been one "unofficial" firmware upgrade available so far (the upgrade to firmware v538) and that fixed all sorts of bugs which had been present in the earlier version. It worked extremely well!
What do you mean with "extremely well"? The installation instruction was confusing for example. I would not call that working extremely well. Why are you using such extreme words?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:18 AM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Not really, when I read about 'the first week' the first thought I had was: What is the definition of first week.
The definition is easy. Something to be said to customers to keep them happy. They had promised release in March. So then they could not say end of April. So they said first week in April and they can later say that they are delayed.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:40 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
What do you mean with "extremely well"? The installation instruction was confusing for example. I would not call that working extremely well. Why are you using such extreme words?
What did you find confusing about the installation instructions? I found them to be entirely straightforward - put the file in the root of the SD card, then press and hold the "Select" button when you got to the start-up screen. What's unclear about that? Perhaps you didn't know what the "Select" button was?

As to the choice of words; I stand by them. It fixed lots of bugs; it worked well. It was an extremely satisfactory upgrade, in my entirely personal opinion. I have no problem with other people having different opinions of it, however!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The definition is easy. Something to be said to customers to keep them happy. They had promised release in March. So then they could not say end of April. So they said first week in April and they can later say that they are delayed.
Alternately, one could perhaps speculate that it was intended for release last week, but testing revealed some bug which they want to fix before they release it. All we can do is guess.