Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #961
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBurns View Post
I tried re-connecting to my WiFi, that didn't help, but a quick power off/on rather than just using sleep seems to have stopped it doing it, perhaps it didn't think it had finished the firmware update?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #962
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Oops thanks for the correction. How does that work then if you were to update via WiFi, downloading the new files directly onto the KT?
I don't know. The only time I have done one, the database was already at the appropriate level.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #963
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBurns View Post
I'm not sure whether they were or not before, the sync icon in the settings pop-up is a little rough.
Almost positive they weren't. The 'dog eared' page corner is also now anti-aliased, which was particularly glaring before.

I suspect they were all hold-over graphics from the old 2-bit eink screens that have finally been updated.

Last edited by stewacide; 08-28-2012 at 08:31 AM.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #964
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Patrolling through the various settings, the only thing I can find that is a nuisance is that the saved websites I had have gone from the browser, and it will no longer show e-mails in my Gmail box (just the activity spinner), though Google Calendar show up fine.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #965
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
... it will no longer show e-mails in my Gmail box (just the activity spinner), though Google Calendar show up fine.
Ignore that - I was using the wrong fix from this page: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158432. http://goo.gl/NmajS works fine.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #966
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Still no italics support in Avenir. Why could they ship fonts lacking such basic features??
I see the same problem. For kobo support, george.talusan in particular, attached is an epub that shows the problem on my device (Kobo Touch with offers, 2.1.1).
Attached Files
File Type: epub New Rich Text Document - Unknown.epub (94.4 KB, 119 views)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #967
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I see the same problem. For kobo support, george.talusan in particular, attached is an epub that shows the problem on my device (Kobo Touch with offers, 2.1.1).
This was a problem in 2.0 as well, at least. Avenir italics revert to bold.

That's a pretty badly broken font imo. That diacritics don't work reliably in any except for Georgia makes most of the rest pretty broken as well.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #968
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
This was a problem in 2.0 as well, at least. Avenir italics revert to bold.

Yup. I had problems with Avenir in 2.0 as well. The strange thing is, I tried a simple test like the EPub I attached, and I could have sworn that italics worked in the test epub, but not all the epubs I normally read (in 2.0).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #969
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by antxc View Post
Is it safe to upgrade the firmware before it is officially released via Kobo Desktop? Is there anything to be careful of when doing so? I am very new to this - only had my Kobo for a week - but I am super keen to upgrade the firmware if it fixes the slow page turns. I am currently on 2.0.0 if it makes any difference.

I've been fairly harsh in my critisicm of Kobo, but this is one thing they got absolutely right, over any other device maker so far. The Kobo has a built in recovery mechanism, and you would have to be pretty ingenious to find a way to brick it. If your attempts at modifying the firmware fail, you're just one "power on while pressing the home button" away from a factory reset.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #970
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMastah View Post
I really wonder why they don't release firmwares for all the kobos at the same time, really stupid IMHO.
They always do a staggered firmware roll out for a number of reasons.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #971
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antxc View Post
Any particular reason why?
As a general rule, you're courting trouble whenever you use unofficial methods to update or modify your firmware.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #972
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Updated to 2.1 without problems.

Improvements:
- (epub) page turns way faster
- clock visible in reading context menu

not fixed/improved:
- cover display bug (depressing since is so visible, so annoying and should be so easy to fix ....)
- shelf management & setup ergonomics
- hyphenation dictionary settings for some languages (German for instance) are rather questionable (allowing to hyphenate into single letters, which leads to quite a lot and quite ugly hyphenations). This is easily fixed by editing the hyphenation dictionaries in koboroot.tgz - something kobo should have taken care of ...
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #973
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
They always do a staggered firmware roll out for a number of reasons.
Staggering the roll out makes sense but to me that should only mean at most a day between markets. Only Japan got 2.0.2 and I'm wondering if we'll get passed over with 2.1.1 as well. In which case I may attempt a manual upgrade but I'll keep waiting and hoping for an official release for now.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #974
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

As I understand it, 2.0.2 was a very minor update where the biggest change was adding a second "2" to the version number. I'd be very surprised if a more substantial update like 2.1.1 didn't make it to the rest of the world.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #975
antxc
antxc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up doing it, and all went well. The page turns are sooo much quicker now and I love that I can see the time while reading.

Quote:
This was a problem in 2.0 as well, at least. Avenir italics revert to bold...
I thought this was just because I am reading a sideloaded epub and it was just not right. So what font do other people use? I have been using Avenir and find some of the others truely awful. Are there any ways to add extra fonts?
antxc is offline   Reply With Quote