Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Apple iPad Available in the USA April 3rd

The title says it all. Here's the press release.

Quote:
Beginning a week from today, on March 12, US customers can pre-order both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G models from Apple’s online store (www.apple.com) or reserve a Wi-Fi model to pick up on Saturday, April 3, at an Apple retail store.
Regarding international release . . .

Quote:
iPad will be available in both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G models in late April in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK. International pricing will be announced in April. iPad will ship in additional countries later this year.
And apparently the iBookstore app will be free to download on April 3rd.

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 03-05-2010 at 11:24 AM.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Yay! that is all.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
The title says it all. Here's the press release.

And apparently the iBookstore app will be free to download on April 3rd (initially they said it would cost $9.99).
There was never a price attached to the iBookstore App. You are probably thinking of the $9.99 price for Pages.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
I was, but you beat me to the edit.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've changed the thread title to reflect the fact that it is only available in the USA on 3rd April.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Press release
The iBooks app for iPad including Apple’s iBookstore will be available as a free download from the App Store in the US on April 3, with additional countries added later this year.
But not necessarily at the same time as the machines?

This seems to confirm that it may be a while before iPad owners outside the US can use it as an eReader (or will they be able to open non-DRM books with other apps)?

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 03-05-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
But not necessarily at the same time as the machines?

This seems to confirm that it may be a while before iPad owners outside the US can use it as an eReader (or will they be able to open non-DRM books with other apps)?

Graham
Supposedly, already existing apps in the app store (Stanza, erearder, etc) will work on the iPad.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I still don't quite understand this logic

* 16GB WiFi only -- $499
* 32GB WiFi only -- $599
* 64GB WiFi only -- $699
* 16GB WiFi + 3G -- $629
* 32GB WiFi + 3G -- $729
* 64GB WiFi + 3G -- $829

Why produce/carry so many price points/sku's ? isnt that really cumbersome and logistically much more problematic? It would seem simpler to produce and supply the stores etc with just 2 sku's- 16GB wifi only and 16GB wifi+3g and put an SDHC slot in them.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
I live in China about an hour from where Apple makes their products (or so I have been told; still have to check it out) yet it won't be available here or in Hong Kong until later this year. I wonder if I pay a visit to the area I can find a willing employee?
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
I am in!!!!
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I will be pleased when it is released. Not because I want one, but because of the effect it will have on the computer industry. Within a few years there will be many choices for the consumer as other companies rush to compete... it's good for all.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #12
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Why produce/carry so many price points/sku's ? isnt that really cumbersome and logistically much more problematic? It would seem simpler to produce and supply the stores etc with just 2 sku's- 16GB wifi only and 16GB wifi+3g and put an SDHC slot in them.
Their profits are better on the more expensive models and 32GB is probably going to end up being the most popular model, but also including the 16GB models allows them to advertise a lower starting price for the range.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #13
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
This is going to sound incredibly mean, but I hope the iPad fails miserably. It seems like Jobs has gotten to the point where he thinks he can put anything out and it will just sell. And I'm not a disgruntled PC owner . . . I have an iPhone, an iPod, and I just got a MacBook Pro. He just needs to be taken down a peg.
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
This is going to sound incredibly mean, but I hope the iPad fails miserably. It seems like Jobs has gotten to the point where he thinks he can put anything out and it will just sell. And I'm not a disgruntled PC owner . . . I have an iPhone, an iPod, and I just got a MacBook Pro. He just needs to be taken down a peg.
I agree. They are taking their "walled garden" approach to the extreme. It's so obvious that Apple's crusade against Adobe Flash is just about money and protecting the apps and movies that are sold through the App Store and iTunes.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 AM   #15
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Good to know that one! Thanks for the info.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad