Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Definitive Guide to eBook Formats?

Can anyone point me to a definitive guide to eBook formats? I am particularly confused by the PDB formats. I see DOC, ztext and eReader formats? It looks like Plucker also uses the PDB file extension but yet nothing I download from Gutenberg in the PDB format will open in Calibre. I used to have a Palm Pilot and had a lot of stuff in the PDB format, luckily I kept the original TXT files and am able to convert them to anything that it supports.

Is there multiple formats in the epub file extension too? I anticipate buying a Nook in December and am confused as to whether it will open and read the epub files that I create with Calibre. Anyone know?

Last edited by Rootman; 10-29-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Can anyone point me to a definitive guide to eBook formats? I am particularly confused by the PDB formats. I see DOC, ztext and eReader formats? It looks like Plucker also uses the PDB file extension but yet nothing I download from Gutenberg in the PDB format will open in Calibre. I used to have a Palm Pilot and had a lot of stuff in the PDB format, luckily I kept the original TXT files and am able to convert them to anything that it supports.
This might help...
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PDB

Quote:
Is there multiple formats in the epub file extension too? I anticipate buying a Nook in December and am confused as to whether it will open and read the epub files that I create with Calibre. Anyone know?
There aren't multiple ePub formats, but when B&N starts selling ePub's there will in a sense be two DRM's for ePub. Calibre ePub's have no DRM so they'll load just fine.

More on ePub...
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EPUB
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! I shouldn't of been so lazy and checked out the Wiki's myself.

Thanks!
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! I shouldn't of been so lazy and checked out the Wiki's myself.

Thanks!
In the wiki try https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_formats. It is the definitive guide to all formats used in eBooks. From there you can find out about the individual formats.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
Zorba
50 Benefits of Ebooks
Zorba began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
There aren't multiple ePub formats, but when B&N starts selling ePub's there will in a sense be two DRM's for ePub. Calibre ePub's have no DRM so they'll load just fine.
@Anemic Oak:
Two DRMs for EPUB: is Barnes & Noble using a different DRM system than the DRMed EPUB that is read on Adobe Digital Editions?

Thanks ... Zorba
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, they will be using the eReader DRM mechanism for ePub files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Two DRMs for EPUB: is Barnes & Noble using a different DRM system than the DRMed EPUB that is read on Adobe Digital Editions?
B&N is using ADE, but Adobe is adding a password based DRM scheme (e.g. based on name and credit card number) which will initially only be supported on the Nook but will be available to all mobile ADE licensees next year. Licensees might or might not implement the new DRM. The Nook still reads Adobe ebooks with the the original DRM, but these must be side-loaded via USB. The Nook ebooks from B&N will use the new DRM scheme.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
B&N is using ADE, but Adobe is adding a password based DRM scheme (e.g. based on name and credit card number) which will initially only be supported on the Nook but will be available to all mobile ADE licensees next year. Licensees might or might not implement the new DRM. The Nook still reads Adobe ebooks with the the original DRM, but these must be side-loaded via USB. The Nook ebooks from B&N will use the new DRM scheme.
Just to add that B&N currently does not sell ePUB files, they sell eReader formatted files. Similar to Sony they have only announced that they will be moving to ePUB. No concrete date.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote