Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Mobireader for the Mac?

Ok,

So, what would you all recommend I use to replace Mobipocket software. I have a Kindle... but on my PC I was basically using it to organize the free weekly books from TOR. I guess I could just drop them in a folder... but it is nice to be able to read them on the PC and such.

Thanks,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If all you want to do is read non-DRM Mobipocket, you might consider FBReader.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
For unprotected Mobi, you could also try Stanza (discussed on this thread. I have not tried it with mobi files, but it has done pretty well with some HTM and RTF files I tried, and it has some nice features. It strips out graphics and some special formatting, though, as it was designed for straight fiction.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
For unprotected Mobi, you could also try Stanza (discussed on this thread. I have not tried it with mobi files, but it has done pretty well with some HTM and RTF files I tried, and it has some nice features. It strips out graphics and some special formatting, though, as it was designed for straight fiction.

Jack
I did try Stanza (not free but $15 is not bad) however it seemed to only be a reader/converter. It didn't seem to have any organization/library features a la iTunes/calibre/Mobipocket.

BOb
Old 06-22-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use calibre to organize the books. If you associate stanza or fbreader with the .prc and .mobi extensions (at the OSX level), click the view button and calibre will launch the associated application to view the file. You could also convert it to LRF and use calibre's built in viewer. You can then use the save to disk feature to transfer the books to your kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can use calibre to organize the books. If you associate stanza or fbreader with the .prc and .mobi extensions (at the OSX level), click the view button and calibre will launch the associated application to view the file. You could also convert it to LRF and use calibre's built in viewer. You can then use the save to disk feature to transfer the books to your kindle.
Ah... interesting idea. I have yet to put calibre on my Mac... I've been seeing errors with the mac version and waiting for your .5 release.

I didn't know that there was such a thing as file associations in Mac. Yes, still learning this thing.

BOb
Old 06-22-2008, 11:50 PM   #7
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I didn't know that there was such a thing as file associations in Mac. Yes, still learning this thing.
In Finder, highlight any file with the right extension (say *.mobi to start), press Cmd-I for Get Info. Look at the "Open with" section (you may need to expand it). You can use the pull down menu to change the application you want to use, then press the Change All button so all *.mobi files open with the same app.

If need be, you can turn on all file extensions (Finder Preferences -> Advanced) if you are not seeing any extensions, but even without that turned on I see extensions on most documents.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
In Finder, highlight any file with the right extension (say *.mobi to start), press Cmd-I for Get Info.
Cool... is there a way to see all of the registered extensions as you can in windows?

BOb