Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
a cover "page" in html for Sigil

Instead of inserting the cover in Sigil, I would like to set it up in the underlying html file, so that I can cite it in the table of contents. My books go to Barnes & Noble, Apple, and Kobo in addition to the Kindle platform.

What's the best size of a cover? I have begun using 800 pixel width for images in my books, up from the old 600x800 convention (which itself replaced the earlier 450x550 pixel convention when the KIndle platform was launched in 2007). The advent of HD tablets seems to make that desirable, as well as specifying a relative width for the image.

Should I use 800x1000 for the cover, or 1000x1250, or what?

Again, my concern is to make the result look good on Nook, Apple IOS, and Kobo readers. I have no problem with the Kindles.

Thanks!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Currently I use a maximum height of 1200 and wrapped in a SVG wrapper. It looks fine on my readers.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I use 800x1200. It looks great on the computer, Nook (my e-ink reader), Tablets, Phone, etc. etc. (Everything I have tested on).

I came to this conclusion from testing on my Nook. Larger resolutions would make the book take forever to open (I assume on even weaker hardware it would take exceedingly long), and smaller resolutions I thought looked very poor on PC, or higher resolution devices.

800x1200 seemed to be a very good midpoint, while also not making the EPUB overly large. (I aim for approximately <= 300 KB covers).
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
ecbritz
Book Concocter
ecbritz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
What is meant by a "svg wrapper"? Do you export the cover design as scalable vector graphics and then use the svg file?
ecbritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecbritz View Post
What is meant by a "svg wrapper"? Do you export the cover design as scalable vector graphics and then use the svg file?
Most of us use a variation of the SVG code given on the MobileRead Wiki:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Ebook_Covers

This allows the image to stretch (while maintaining proper ratio) to fit any screen size.

Here is the code which Sigil generates for you when using Tools - Add Cover:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <title>Cover</title>
</head>
<body>
  <div style="text-align: center; padding: 0pt; margin: 0pt;">
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 1200 800" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
      <image width="1200" height="800" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpg"/>
    </svg>
  </div>
</body>
</html>
Red areas are where you want to change the width/height/location of your specific cover image.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...add_cover.html

The Sigil manual has a very nice writeup on covers, and how you can create your own cover 'template' xhtml file

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
ecbritz
Book Concocter
ecbritz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Thanks!
ecbritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And thanks from me as well!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...add_cover.html

The Sigil manual has a very nice writeup on covers, and how you can create your own cover 'template' xhtml file

Paul
I am intrigued by this part of the code:

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%"
preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1"
viewBox="0 0 SGC_IMAGE_WIDTH SGC_IMAGE_HEIGHT" width="100%"

Somehow it never occurred to me that one could specify width, height, and at the same time preserveAspectRatio. Does this mean that the lesser of width or height will rule (i.e., if 100% width fills the screen before 100% height does, then there will be white space above and below the cover image)?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I am intrigued by this part of the code:

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%"
preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1"
viewBox="0 0 SGC_IMAGE_WIDTH SGC_IMAGE_HEIGHT" width="100%"

Somehow it never occurred to me that one could specify width, height, and at the same time preserveAspectRatio. Does this mean that the lesser of width or height will rule (i.e., if 100% width fills the screen before 100% height does, then there will be white space above and below the cover image)?
There are two ways it can work. See SVG or our wiki for details. One way to have "white" space on two sides of the device while the other is to crop the image to fit. Both preserve aspect ratio.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote