Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #61
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mietek81 View Post
Well, in that case, please Kobo change the font you are using in menus to something that has more diacritics
Are there any characters in the menus that are not correctly displayed? The font is selected depending on the user language. So theoretically it should work fine.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #62
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Well, maybe I wasn't precise enough. I'm from Poland and using Glo set to english, only changed the CurrentLocale setting in Kobo eReader.conf to pl_PL to get dates in different format. So in menus all characters are ok as obviously there is no polish language available. Unfortunately in all authors names and books titles in library, header, footer and in Synopsis polish letters are displayed in different font/smaller size so it looks ugly and in Synopsis it's hard to read as the letters are real small. It's not that big problem but when I found this thread I thought that there is a simple way to fix this. So now I'm a bit disappointed.
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #63
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
mietek81,

If you still use 2.6.1,
Spoiler:
search for bookCoverLayout, there you will find

* {
font-size: 16px;
font-family: Avenir;
margin-top: 7px
}

This is for the author. Then follow the replacement values for Japanese, Glo and Mini. Then

you see

* {
font-size: 20px;
font-family: Georgia;
}

This is for the book title. A little later, you see

* {
color: #666666;
}

for the series, and

* {
color: #666666;
}

for reading status, the file type and size.
For the moment I am unable to find how this is done in 2.8.1.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #64
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Yes, I already have found those. I need one more thing - font used for contents of Synopsis in books details. But that is nowhere to be found..

Edited:
Just installed 2.8.1 and my problem is gone. All polish diacritics are displayed in normal size everywhere

Last edited by mietek81; 07-25-2013 at 08:19 AM.
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #65
sdiox
sdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
ReadingFooter is missing

Hi, I've just upgraded to 2.8.1 and attempted to patch the libnickel, but I couldn't locate ReadingFooter inside that file. Is it possible to downgrade the firmware to 2.6.1 the same way I sideloded 2.8.1?

Best regards
sdiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #66
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiox View Post
I've just upgraded to 2.8.1 and attempted to patch the libnickel, but I couldn't locate ReadingFooter inside that file. Is it possible to downgrade the firmware to 2.6.1 the same way I sideloded 2.8.1?
Do a factory reset, then upgrade the factory firmware (2.4.x) to 2.6.1 using the same method that you used to sideload 2.8.1. You will probably have to fake the registration though, since it will attempt to update automatically when it goes online. Depending upon where they are in the rollout, it may do nothing (you are still in the 2.6.1 phase of the rollout) or it may update you to 2.8.1.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #67
sdiox
sdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy bluesdiox can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Do a factory reset, then upgrade the factory firmware (2.4.x) to 2.6.1 using the same method that you used to sideload 2.8.1. You will probably have to fake the registration though, since it will attempt to update automatically when it goes online. Depending upon where they are in the rollout, it may do nothing (you are still in the 2.6.1 phase of the rollout) or it may update you to 2.8.1.
Thank you for your reply. I've always been sideloading new firmware onto my device. Perhaps because I live in SE-Asia, I've never been notified to update firmware...

Last edited by sdiox; 07-26-2013 at 03:55 AM.
sdiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #68
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just checked firmware 2.8.1, (almost) all the style references seem to be gone.
Do you understand they were obfuscated?

EDIT
It was noted already, I missed the messages from Anak and ewphoenix123

Last edited by mdp; 07-28-2013 at 01:41 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #69
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, this move was... unfit for descriptions.

I just compared 2.6.1 and 2.8.1, the styles are removed from the past places - extracted from the string data.

Last edited by mdp; 07-28-2013 at 02:12 AM. Reason: typo
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #70
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I have just applied the full-screen firmware change to both my Glo and Aura, and they are so much better for it.

I used firmware 2.5.1 as my starting point, because this does not have the bigger top margin of later firmwares. 2.5.2 was nerfed with a permanent title bar, even in epubs! Then that was fixed, but the top margin was bigger than it used to be. In 2.8.1 the top margin shrank right down again, but the css for setting the bottom bar no longer seems to be accessible (no longer in libnickel.so.1.0.0).

My Aura was on 2.8.1 and I tried to apply the modified 2.5.1 to it without first doing a factory reset, which bricked the reader. So I did a hardware factory reset and then the modified 2.5.1 installed no problems.

This is the best fix by far for the Kobos. I'm not going to miss all the changes Kobo put into the later firmwares--I can't think of anything I will miss, makes me think Kobo devs are wasting their time when they could be doing simple changes like making the bottom bar smaller, already. Jeez!

These are the settings I have used in libnickel.so.1.0.0. I have used the same settings for the Glo (kraken) and Aura (dragon), and looks good to me. The page numbers on the Aura are now very close to the bottom bevel (may be too close, need to try it out for a bit), and they only take up one line of text.

Code:
ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], 
ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {
min-height: 30px;
max-height: 30px;
qproperty-footerMargin:  10;
}

ReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {
min-height:  30px;
max-height:  30px;
qproperty-footerMargin: 10;
}
Thanks for everyone who pioneered this fix.

Last edited by ShellShock; 08-02-2013 at 05:46 PM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #71
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I also stay at firmware 2.5.x for all the reasons you mentioned. Some bugs are fixed in firmwasre 2.5.2, so I prefer 2.5.2 but in combination with the 2.5.1. version of libadobe.so, that reverts the huge top margin with regular epubs. The best of both worlds.

Downgrading is often not possible without a full factory reset.

Last edited by Anak; 08-03-2013 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Removed quote, not necessary
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:13 AM   #72
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I also stay at firmware 2.5.x for all the reasons you mentioned. Some bugs are fixed in firmwasre 2.5.2, so I prefer 2.5.2 but in combination with the 2.5.1. version of libadobe.so, that reverts the huge top margin with regular epubs. The best of both worlds.

Downgrading is often not possible without a full factory reset.
I can't remember what bugs were fixed in 2.5.2, not sure if it is anything I would notice. Do you remember? Can't find a change log anywhere...
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #73
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Let's try to raise the bar a bit and make full screen real full screen by
  • adjusting the viewport (if necessary)
  • reduce (page) margins to zero

Any other adjustments are also welcome. It doesn't have to be full screen related. All "improvements" are welcome. Use the firmware of your choosing.

Using a disassembler gives more insight a plain hex editor to find the right values but it stays complicated. The screenshot shows IDA, The Interactive Disassembler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	108849  
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #74
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
This is the best fix by far for the Kobos. I'm not going to miss all the changes Kobo put into the later firmwares--I can't think of anything I will miss, makes me think Kobo devs are wasting their time when they could be doing simple changes like making the bottom bar smaller, already. Jeez!
I'm currently sticking with a modified 2.5.2 (with 2.5.1 reader) aswell for the same reasons.
But they did some real under the hood improvements starting with 2.6.1, a lot of code cleanup and updated drivers. So in the long run we will want to figure out how to get full screen on the newer fw-versions, because it runs noticeably smoother.

To get at least some of the improvements of the newer fw versions, while staying with 2.5.1 you should install the kobohack-j which offers updated drivers, and an updated image- and font-renderer.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213113

Last edited by ewphoenix123; 08-03-2013 at 08:18 AM.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #75
miyata
miyata began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Google Nexus 10
I'd love to see this Fullscreen hack in new Firmwares. I am quite new to Kobo, started using the Aura when 2.6.1 was released and am now on 2.8.1. I consider myself a Linux Geek and as time will be available to me start poking around in 2.8.1's guts myself...
miyata is offline   Reply With Quote