Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #1021
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK View Post
Using Dropbox, your entire Calibre folder goes into it; is this the way it happens with SugarSync?
SugarSync is even smarter than Dropbox in this regard: it lets you just specify any folder from your computer that should be mirrored in SugarSync. So, you need to change absolutely nothing: you simply instruct SugarSync to monitor your Calibre "Books" folder, and that's it!

For the record: I prefer Dropbox over SugarSync for high-priority syncing, because overall, Dropbox seems more reliable/faster to me than SugarSync, but for syncing books, I have found SugarSync perfect.

Quote:
I worry about the folder not being backed up, and losing my Calibre library.
You can't possibly "lose" it, because it will still be available on the original computer. SugarSync will simply create a copy of everything online, so that you can easily access it using your iPad or iPhone -- that's it.

Also, SugarSync places a handy icon into your MacBook status bar, so that you can see at a glance if all your books are backed up or not. And they are, 99.99% of the time.

Quote:
And, I assume, that you have a limited amount of space, with SugarSync, and using more forces you to pay for it. I'm trying to avoid paying for that as I'm now on a fixed income.
Yes, one (not so) fine day, we may run out of free space in our Dropbox or SugarSync. I'm not thinking about it for now, while I still have free space left. When the time comes to pay for one of these services, I'll probably go with Dropbox. $10 per month for 100 gigabytes isn't going to ruin me financially.

Quote:
I now understand about adding a password, but can't figure out how to do that.
You don't need to use a password to protect your Calibre server, if you don't run your Calibre server constantly. And why would you run it constantly, if all content will be available to you via SugarSync or Dropbox? For the few occasions on which I find it useful to start the Calibre server, I don't think I need to set up a password for those brief moments. Essentially, you never need to run the Calibre server, if you mirror Calibre in SugarSync or Dropbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I just downloaded Dropbox. I'll add my library soon. Any suggestions on adding my Calibre library?
You simply instruct Calibre to put its main "Books" folder, where all of its library is, into Drobpox. That's it.

Quote:
Should I have separate folders for different genres?
Nope, leave everything as is. Just put the single "Books" folder, where Calibre stores everything, into Dropbox. Inside that folder, authors will be sorted in sub-folders -- one writer, one folder. Inside each such folder, each work by the writer gets a separate folder. One work -- one folder.

Then, on the iPad or iPhone, you can access your Calibre folders either using the Dropbox app, or if you prefer to use the Dropbox feature in Marvin, Marvin will automatically list 1000 of your books from Dropbox for you. (And you can filter the search results, to quickly find the book/writer you're looking for.)

Quote:
What is this about a password?
No password needed, other than for accessing your Dropbox account.

If anything is unclear, just ask.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #1022
humler
humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'humler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Kris, great update. I'm looking forward to the next update. I've already purchased the theme pack. Nice job!
Advert
Old 03-14-2013, 02:59 AM   #1023
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Ah, the updates also on the UK store - bought the pack as a thanks for the program!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #1024
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Thanks guys.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #1025
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad & Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Oh I see. Good idea. Noted.
Kguil, is it an option to make it an automated proces. The moment the dropbox is connected, any annotations are automatically uploaded to the dropbox. That way annotations are never lost and it reduces the number of manual actions.
Advert
Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #1026
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll be including that in a future version.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #1027
oooclll
oooclll began at the beginning.

Device: marvin app for ipad
I seem to be having a problem where my iPad does not go to sleep if Marvin in open even though in the settings I have have turned off "disable auto-lock while reading" (it always takes me while to reason through that double negative, but I think this means that it should auto-lock). Anyone else having this issue?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #1028
kguil
Addict

Have you upgraded to 1.3? The problem was fixed in that version.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #1029
oooclll

yes, it is 1.3. i'll run another test to observe the behavior and let you know.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #1030
oooclll

I tested it again, and regardless of which setting I choose for "disable auto lock", it never auto-locks.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #1031
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can't confirm this issue -- auto-lock works as expected for me both in Marvin 1.3 and 1.4 Beta 2.

(iPad 1 and iPad 3 here, both in their most recent iOS versions.)
Old 03-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #1032
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad & Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by oooclll View Post
I tested it again, and regardless of which setting I choose for "disable auto lock", it never auto-locks.
If i choose the left setting the ipad auto locks. Using 1.3 Marvin.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #1033
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
iPad 3 sleeps after 2 minutes with Marvin 1.3 active. Screen dims and a few seconds later the iPad "sleeps".
Old 03-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #1034
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The password discussion was for the ODPS catalog. Nothing to do with the straightforward integration of Marvin with Dropbox.

ProfCrash, the easiest way is to move your whole calibre library to your Dropbox folder and then point calibre to that new location. Basically your calibre library is in Dropbox (and also still residing on your computer).
One hint, and this is where I think I went astray and it cost me hours of rebuilding some of my files...

When you move your library, make sure your metadata file goes with it. When I moved mine from the computer to Dropbox, somehow the metadata.db file got left behind. I didn't realize that immediately and it cost me some ginormous confusion. And I'm still dealing with having two separate files for almost every author in Dropbox - there's a Lastname/Firstname folder for each author, as well as a Firstname/Lastname folder. I don't know how the heck that happened, but there it is. I've been trying to figure out a fix short of going through the Dropbox Calibre folder author by author and eliminating the older one, but there's no consistency as far as one or the other being the most recently modified. I could've probably fixed it early on if I'd realized what had happened

Here's what the Calibre FAQ says about that metadata folder, under the section about moving your library from one computer to another:

"Note

A calibre library is just a folder which contains all the book files and their metadata. All the metadata is stored in a single file called metadata.db, in the top level folder. If this file gets corrupted, you may see an empty list of books in calibre. In this case you can ask calibre to restore your books by doing a right-click on the calibre icon in the toolbar and selecting Library Maintenance->Restore Library."

I think I could've done the "Restore Library" thing early on if I'd realized what had happened with the metadata folder. By the time I figured it out I'd already made changes and I'm not sure it would've worked. I love Calibre, but I don't always understand it. I need a "Calibre for Dummies"! Anyway, even if I leave it as is, it's well worth being able to access my library from anywhere to download to Marvin. I should probably just leave it and stop obsessing over getting it "perfect".
Old 03-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #1035
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Lightbulb

FWIW, whether Calibre names a writer's subfolder Firstname_Lastname or Lastname_Firstname depends on how the author's name is stated in the metadata for his/her individual books.

For example, if you have 5 Hemingway books in your Calibre Library, but some of those books state "Ernest Hemingway" as the author in the book's metadata, while other books state the author as "Hemingway, Ernest", then you will end up with two folders for Hemingway books in Calibre:

One of the folders will be named Ernest_Hemingway, and the other folder will be named Hemingway,_Ernest.

However, the books themselves won't be duplicated inside the two subfolders -- each subfolder will contain different books by Hemingway, depending on how his name is stated in the metadata for a particular book.

That's why it makes sense to unify how you state the writers' names inside metadata for books in your Calibre library. If you unify this, then you will only end up with one subfolder for every writer, as it should be.

Last edited by Faterson; 03-14-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Closed Thread