Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #46
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
If everyone thinks that SOPA and PIPA are NOT an attempt of the US Government trying to control the flow of free information, then have I got a deal on some good beachfront property...
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #47
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i'm just curious, has anyone heard or seen a news story on SOPA from the mainstream press? i haven't.

like i said earlier: corporate censorship>government censorship. SOPA is lock-step in line with the beliefs of the networks and sponsors so why would they report on it? the government isn't blocking the news at all, the media is.

mainstream media is utterly vapid mind-rot. i wouldn't lose sleep if nbc, cbs or warner were pirated into bankruptcy.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #48
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaejr View Post
If everyone thinks that SOPA and PIPA are NOT an attempt of the US Government trying to control the flow of free information, then have I got a deal on some good beachfront property...
Hope you've got that property, because its corporate America pushing this, not some neo-communist bureau within the government. Look at how Fox News destroyed Open Internet, despite that being the Obama administration's attempts to prevent this exact thing from happening.

I'm starting to wonder if somewhere in the underworld, there's a goofy little man with a toothbrush mustache saying, "So what if they won the war, they've just proved me partially right."

"A lie told enough times becomes the truth."

Last edited by teh603; 01-11-2012 at 10:25 PM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #49
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i'm just curious, has anyone heard or seen a news story on SOPA from the mainstream press? i haven't.
I have, repeatedly. What newspaper do you read?

Google:

sopa site:.nytimes.com

and

sopa site:.washingtonpost.com

and

sopa site:.latimes.com

and

sopa site:.reuters.com

Quote:
SOPA is lock-step in line with the beliefs of the networks and sponsors so why would they report on it? the government isn't blocking the news at all, the media is.
I'm not a TV watcher. Reading newspapers on an eReader is IMHO a far superior experience. So I am in no position to defend or attack any television news organization. But, for the record, the big US networks also report on SOPA, at least on their web sites. Google:

sopa site:.cbsnews.com

and

sopa site:.abcnews.com

and

sopa site:.msnbc.msn.com
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 AM   #50
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Indeed, the purpose of copyright libraries is to ensure that EVERY copyrighted work is available to the public.
Wait a second, Harry, I don't think that's right.

For example, Erle Stanley Gardner copyrighted 80 Perry Mason novels. Only 20 are currently in print.

I don't think that the other sixty are "available to the public".
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #51
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

For example, Erle Stanley Gardner copyrighted 80 Perry Mason novels. Only 20 are currently in print.

And a lot more works that are out of copyright are not available to you.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #52
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaejr View Post
If you actually do believe that restricting the free flow of information is the purpose of SOPA and PIPA then we know you couldn't possibly possess any good beach front property...
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

Yes, they are. You can go to a copyright library, such as the Library of Congress, and read them there. A copyright library has, by law, to be supplied with a copy of every copyrighted item published in that country.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #54
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Yes, they are. You can go to a copyright library, such as the Library of Congress, and read them there. A copyright library has, by law, to be supplied with a copy of every copyrighted item published in that country.
True, but I don't think there is a requirement (at least in the UK) that the copyright library retain a copy. Thus it is possible that there are copies that can be accessed.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
True, but I don't think there is a requirement (at least in the UK) that the copyright library retain a copy. Thus it is possible that there are copies that can be accessed.
Are you sure about that? I thought that they did have to keep them all. That's why copyright libraries, such as the British Library, and the Bodleian in Oxford, have to add miles of extra shelves every year. I could of course be mistaken .
Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Are you sure about that? I thought that they did have to keep them all. That's why copyright libraries, such as the British Library, and the Bodleian in Oxford, have to add miles of extra shelves every year. I could of course be mistaken .
EDIT: A little research seems to indicate that the British Library does keep everything, but the Library of Congress is "selective about which works it retains", but still adds about 3 million books a year to its collection.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #57
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/02/bu...pagewanted=all

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...n-at-ces-2012/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...5rP_story.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...rrP_story.html

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technolog...eir-open-bill/

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/09/tech/w...iref=allsearch

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technolo...et-censorship/

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx
like i said earlier: corporate censorship>government censorship.
Not even close.

There are plenty of news sources that aren't corporate in nature. In the age of the Internets, it's 1000x easier to find such a source than in earlier eras when you had 3 television networks and 1 or 2 local newspapers.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #58
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
If you actually do believe that restricting the free flow of information is the purpose of SOPA and PIPA then we know you couldn't possibly possess any good beach front property...
Well obviously the primary motivation will be financial, there's certainly a lot of money being paid to push it through into law, but that doesn't mean the government won't be fully aware of the fringe benefits that go along with it. Obamma(?)'s government already disproved the entertainment industry's claims about financial loss through piracy, so you can obviously discount that as a motive.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-are-bogus.ars
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #59
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Obamma(?)'s government already disproved the entertainment industry's claims about financial loss through piracy, so you can obviously discount that as a motive.
All your link showed is that it's impossible to prove how much piracy costs, not that costs are non-existent.

If declining numbers of CD's and movie tickets purchased aren't due to piracy, then they are probably due to content company leaders being beaten in the marketplace fair and square. And you know they don't believe that. So thinking the worst of the content companies should make you MORE certain they are motivated by a sincere belief in piracy losses.

By the way, I myself sincerely believe that there are fewer good, fulfilling entertainment industry jobs because of piracy. I just don't know how many fewer.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #60
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
All your link showed is that it's impossible to prove how much piracy costs, not that costs are non-existent.

If declining numbers of CD's and movie tickets purchased aren't due to piracy, then they are probably due to content company leaders being beaten in the marketplace fair and square. And you know they don't believe that. So thinking the worst of the content companies should make you MORE certain they are motivated by a sincere belief in piracy losses.
More likely they're using piracy as an excuse for their outdated business models. They know they're no longer the gatekeepers, they know they can no longer tell the populace what to listen to or read, and they're trying to find some way to get it back to prolong the inevitable as long as they possibly can.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote