Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
altair
altair began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Nook Touch, (Future) Kobo Touch
Are Nook epubs readable on Kobo Touch?

Hi! I am thinking of purchasing a KT. I have been a Nook customer for years.
Obviously I have purchased quite a few ebooks from the B&N store. I was just wondering if I can load them on the KT. I have seen a few people loading
kobobooks on Nooks. Thanks.
Sorry if it is a noob question!
altair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Nook uses a different flavour of DRM. You can remove the DRM and add them on. You can read any non-drm epubs as well as the drm that Sony and many other sellers use (but not iBook, which also uses its own drm).

When you purchase a book from Kobo, you have the choice of their own ePUB format (kepub) which is the only book format that currently syncs across their other platforms or, in most cases, Adobe Adept DRM, which you download through ADE and sideload.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
altair

Thanks. How would I remove the DRM from the Nook epubs that I have purchased before? Is there a tutorial for that? Can I use Calibre for that?

About the new purchases in the Kobostore, I probably should buy the Adobe DRM'd one, as I will be able to use them later on other hardware which I might buy in the future.

Will I miss out on anything if I do not buy the kepubs?

I have a question regarding the Kobo Desktop App.
I currently use the Nook app to read books on my Mac. Do you think I can use Kobo app as a replacement? I installed it on my computer, but when I tried to use it it asked me to connect to my Kobo (I have not bought it yet)!

I do enjoy the Kobo app more than any other app for reading on my iPad.
Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by altair View Post
Thanks. How would I remove the DRM from the Nook epubs that I have purchased before? Is there a tutorial for that? Can I use Calibre for that?

About the new purchases in the Kobostore, I probably should buy the Adobe DRM'd one, as I will be able to use them later on other hardware which I might buy in the future.

Will I miss out on anything if I do not buy the kepubs?

I have a question regarding the Kobo Desktop App.
I currently use the Nook app to read books on my Mac. Do you think I can use Kobo app as a replacement? I installed it on my computer, but when I tried to use it it asked me to connect to my Kobo (I have not bought it yet)!

I do enjoy the Kobo app more than any other app for reading on my iPad.
Thanks again.
For the Kobo desktop uninstall the version you installed and then install the version from kobo.com/desktop. This will not expect a new device to set up.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Calibre will not do that and forum rules don't allow that information to posted. Try googling Apprentice Alf (I think that's the correct name).

Quote:
In almost all books you'll get at Kobo it comes automatically with both the k-epub and regular e-pub versions when you purchase it, so you don't have to give up anything or choose between the two. You can download the regular e-pub version for your archive and use the k-epub on your reader, or just use the regular e-pub on your reader.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
For the Kobo desktop uninstall the version you installed and then install the version from kobo.com/desktop. This will not expect a new device to set up.
Thanks so much.
Is there any way I can load and read non-kobobooks on the desktop app?
On the iPad app I can add the non kobobooks.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Calibre will not do that and forum rules don't allow that information to posted. Try googling Apprentice Alf (I think that's the correct name).
Thank you sir. You are a lifesaver. I do not need to buy the books again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
In almost all books you'll get at Kobo it comes automatically with both the k-epub and regular e-pub versions when you purchase it, so you don't have to give up anything or choose between the two. You can download the regular e-pub version for your archive and use the k-epub on your reader, or just use the regular e-pub on your reader.
It is so nice of them to offer both of them. I will store the reg-epubs on the computer as a back up as you suggested.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I like kepub files because of the sync factor with my kobo app on Android. I can sideload the non-DRM epub files onto my phone (or an Android tablet) but they do not sync like kepub files do. The desktop software is only for managing your kepub books.

I understand there is a problem Kobo is working on at the moment with sync to iOS devices.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
altair

Quote:
Thanks so much.
Is there any way I can load and read non-kobobooks on the desktop app?
On the iPad app I can add the non kobobooks.
One more question....

Is it possible to read with more than one column in the desktop app? One wide column in the fullscreen mode is little difficult to read. I can reduce the column width, but then it is a waste of space! May be it will be taken care of in a future update?
Old 07-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #10
portablejim
Enthusiast
portablejim has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch Black
You can also try to love cabbages that you have legally bought.
portablejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
HarryH
Enthusiast
HarryH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Version 1 firmware v 1.8.3
B&N/drm

I purchased a book from B&N I am stuck with the same drm ... have done a google search to find way to remove the drm , but with the information I have , getting no where ... But I did purchase a few books from B&N and loaded them in my K wifw and there was no problems .. what I do not understand why the last purchase a drm problem

Still trying to fix the problem

Harry
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH View Post
I purchased a book from B&N I am stuck with the same drm ... have done a google search to find way to remove the drm , but with the information I have , getting no where ... But I did purchase a few books from B&N and loaded them in my K wifw and there was no problems .. what I do not understand why the last purchase a drm problem

Still trying to fix the problem

Harry
The clue as to how to deal with the B&N DRM is in this message.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Kobo Customer Service is informing folks that B&N ePubs are supported. Is this true?:

Quote:
Hi Carol,

We are happy to inform you that you can indeed read any eBooks printed in the ePub DRM format even that from Barnes and Noble.
However, the only way to download and view these books right now is downloading them via Adobe Digital Editions. Please ensure that you are registered with the ADE software before you begin your downloading.

Feel free to contact us with any other concerns.

Happy Reading!

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
The person asked if the Kobo Touch can read B&N ePubs.

Last edited by SCION; 07-19-2011 at 05:24 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Kobo Customer Service is informing folks that B&N ePubs are supported. Is this true?:
Well, this part is wrong for B&N books...
Quote:
However, the only way to download and view these books right now is downloading them via Adobe Digital Editions. Please ensure that you are registered with the ADE software before you begin your downloading.
You don't need/use ADE to download B&N ePub's, you don't need any special software.

The question of if they work on the Kobo Touch keeps coming up, but I haven't seen a post yet from someone who's actually tried it. Maybe a KT owner can grab a freebie from B&N and give it a go.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well, this part is wrong for B&N books...

You don't need/use ADE to download B&N ePub's, you don't need any special software.

The question of if they work on the Kobo Touch keeps coming up, but I haven't seen a post yet from someone who's actually tried it. Maybe a KT owner can grab a freebie from B&N and give it a go.
The freebies tend to not be DRM'd. B&N books require you enter your name and credit card number. The Kobo would need to prompt you for this info when you try to open the B&N DRM'd book. I doubt it does this, as this would be a unique selling feature going unmentioned.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote