Notices

Old 09-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
RectalPro
RectalPro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Exclamation Another Sony Reader firmware update

New Firmware available for your Sony Reader
Question
The battery meter does not seem to register the proper charge level after installing the latest firmware upgrade.
Answer

This issue has been resolved with a firmware update for the PRS-500. You can receive this update by following the steps below:

1. Connect the Sony Reader (PRS-500) to your USB port of the PC.
2. Launch the Connect Reader application.
3. Go to "Help" and choose "Check for Updates"
4. This will download and install the new updates.

If you are unable to receive this update you can click here to download the file directly from Sony eSupport.

To confirm the update is successful on the Sony Reader

1. In the Home Menu, press the 0 button to select Settings.
2. In the Settings menu, press the 4 button to select About.
3. Your version will now display 1.0.03.07170.
RectalPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
RectalPro

This seems to be newer than the last update (1.0.02.01300).

I just got the notification in an email.

Maybe it will resolve the problem of my reader rapidly losing bars after 10 days.
Advert
Old 09-14-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Version 1.0.03.07170 came out on July 31st.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
Version 1.0.03.07170 came out on July 31st.
This is the same version that came preloaded on my reader- My serial numbers in the 63,600's
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The newest firmware (release sometime in July 2007) does indeed fix the battery meter issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
RectalPro

Ok. Strange that they emailed me again about this update. I didn't have the reader with me when I got it, so I couldn't check the reader version.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The newest firmware (release sometime in July 2007) does indeed fix the battery meter issue.
I'm not even sure if it fix the battery meter issue correctly.

All it does is just set the bar to max when you plug it in to charge it. However, when you disconnect it after a few seconds, it will still be full bar.

Sounds a bit like a stupid trick...
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
Tautology
Tautology began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500 & Motorola Q
I am looking for the firmware version prior to 1.0.02.01300. I purchased the unit in Dec 06, did the first F/W upgrade in Feb-Mar timeframe--then battery life dropped (subjective experience). Sent unit in for service: replaced battery. Upgraded F/W to 1.0.03.07170--same perceived battery life issue. Sent unit in for service: re-FLASh'd with ...07170, still same issue. At this point I'm getting about 160 pages worth of reading over a 2 week period (yup, draws power when OFF).
Third return (before reading all these marvelous posts), returned today with wall-wart (AC adapter). Had long chat with service engineer at Sony yesterday bouncing around various ideas.
Then it hit me: could the F/W from ver. 1.0.02.01300 forward have changed the idle process in the CPU (e.g. wake-up timer, etc.) so that we have a 4 week battery life regardless of ON or OFF (keeping it in my sock drawer).
Time for an experiment... need .EXEs for 1.0.02.01300 and earlier (I'm trying to get it from Sony as well along with battery specs').
Tautology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I really don't think anyone would have any version prior to 1.0.02.01300 as (I think) that was the first version. No need to have the file.

P.S. I just searched the forum and found that 1.0.02.01300 was the first update. So there would have not been any earlier firmware for download.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:30 AM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm pretty sure that even with the first firmware, there was power drain in the "off" state because it's not completely off. Only with the 505 can you really turn it completely off.

You'll probably get around 2-4 weeks of standby time with the 500 battery. Less with the 505 model, but you do have the option on the 505 to turn it off if you know you won't be using it for a while.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #11
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
To minimize power drain during storage, would it be possible to have a POWER OFF option for the 500 reader via hacked firmware? If yes, who could do this for us?
thanks.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Seek and ye shall find.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:11 AM   #13
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
thanks.

I didn't realize the doQUIT command was an option from the pull down list for the buttons. From what I recall, it was not presented as a checkoff in the options list on the left window for Hackbuilder.

Now to see if I can enhance battery life, not get frustrated with longer startups, and determine if the reader will come back to life at the last page I was reading....
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #14
tuktuk
tuktuk began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I really don't think anyone would have any version prior to 1.0.02.01300 as (I think) that was the first version. No need to have the file.

P.S. I just searched the forum and found that 1.0.02.01300 was the first update. So there would have not been any earlier firmware for download.
My firmware is still 1.0.00.21081. I don't see any point in updating, and I don't use Connect.

I believe igorsk has mentioned somewhere that you can dump the firmware but I would not risk it with my SR.
tuktuk is offline   Reply With Quote