Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #1531
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Whoops! I forgot to say, didn't I? Yes, I enjoyed it. I've put the other three on my TBR list.

Haha, I thought you were being polite about not being thrilled about them

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #1532
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Also, it is refreshing to read a book set in Moscow, and written by a Russian, for a change. Lukyanenko is actually a "heavyweight" of the Russian Fantasy and Science Fiction literary landscape with more than 40 books to his name. Unfortunately, only few of these have been translated to English, a few more to German. Night watch was also made into a movie.

Best regards,
Andy
That sounds interesting. Have to check that out. And if it is not in English, just gonna have to get the German version. Better try some other German books first, and see if that still works to read for me.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #1533
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DuckieTigger,

the "Night Watch" series is available in English translation. I only read it in English, but the movie was also dubbed in German (and I guess is availablei in Russian with subtitles).

But there are some other books by Lukyanenko - some of them more books for young adults - that have not been translated to English, but at least to German. I was actually hoping for more of his books to be translated to English after the success of the "Night Watch" series and the movie, but so far have not seen anything else.

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 01-09-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #1534
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Has anybody here read Sergeij Lukyanenko's "Night Watch" quadrilogy?

I read that some time ago and would highly advise it. It is about Anton Gorodetskij, a young wizard from Moscow who is a member of the "Night Watch", an executive body of "white" wizards who make sure that during the nighttime no black magic users overstep the boundaries of the accord between light and dark. Simultaneously, during the day, the "Day Watch", their dark counterparts, make sure that the fragile equilibrium is not disturbed.

Of course, there is a lot of scheming and breaking of rules that makes the books interesting.

As a young - and not very powerful - wizard, Anton is unfortunately (fortunately for the plot, however) quite often out of his league when battling werewolves, vampires and centuries-old warlocks, also both the enemy and his own bosses sometimes use him as an unwitting pawn. So not boring, and not as "smug" as Jim Butchers writing, where you always know that Harry has at least one more hidden ace up his sleeve.

I really must read those books again (old, dusty, boring dead tree books) and check if I still like them as much as I did when I read them first. I promise, however, that there is not much "chick-lit" in those :-)

Also, it is refreshing to read a book set in Moscow, and written by a Russian, for a change. Lukyanenko is actually a "heavyweight" of the Russian Fantasy and Science Fiction literary landscape with more than 40 books to his name. Unfortunately, only few of these have been translated to English, a few more to German. Night watch was also made into a movie.

Best regards,
Andy
I agree. It's a great series. I would highly recommend them even though I haven't read the 4th book yet. I have the first 3 in paperback and want to re-buy them all as ebooks before reading the 4th. It's been a long time since I read them.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #1535
Andy_T
Evangelist

Even better: There's a fifth book "New Watch" now (already out in Russian) that will be available in English by May of this year.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #1536
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Even better: There's a fifth book "New Watch" now (already out in Russian) that will be available in English by May of this year.
Dang it, I really need to catch up! Thanks for letting me know
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #1537
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
So book #13 will be the end. Now I have to choose if I want to keep reading now, or "stockpile" like I am with Sookie and wait until the end. Decisions, decisions...
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #1538
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool This & that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
So book #13 will be the end. Now I have to choose if I want to keep reading now, or "stockpile" like I am with Sookie and wait until the end. Decisions, decisions...
Oh quit complaining!

On another note, glad to see ya'. I finally shook you out of the haystack. Now what do we need to do to wake up Christa?

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #1539
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Oh quit complaining!

On another note, glad to see ya'. I finally shook you out of the haystack. Now what do we need to do to wake up Christa?

Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #1540
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Re The Hollows:
I'm looking forward to Ever After. The witch-demon-elf history is an interesting storyline, and my favourite of the series. Luckily, the ebook showed up as reservable in my library's Overdrive this morning and I am first in line!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #1541
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Dresden Files Fanfilm - Grave Watcher

Boy, did I ever get a long series of chuckles from this one

Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #1542
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Good fanfilm! +10 for being done in my home State.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #1543
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Iron Druid

Several of you interested me in the Iron Druid series whan it's newest book's release coincided with Cold Days' release date. So I picked up the first one, Hounded, ,and put it on my TBR list. I've just begun it and right now I'm ready to start chapter 5 and instead, I'm considering abandoning it.

I don't like Atticus at all. But I do love the locale. However I don't think an unlikeable protagonist and a familiar and appreciated locale is enough to keep my intrest (keep? I'm not yet interested!).

What m I missing, if anything?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #1544
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Several of you interested me in the Iron Druid series whan it's newest book's release coincided with Cold Days' release date. So I picked up the first one, Hounded, ,and put it on my TBR list. I've just begun it and right now I'm ready to start chapter 5 and instead, I'm considering abandoning it.

I don't like Atticus at all. But I do love the locale. However I don't think an unlikeable protagonist and a familiar and appreciated locale is enough to keep my intrest (keep? I'm not yet interested!).

What m I missing, if anything?

Not sure if you're missing anything, but I do remember that I found Atticus a bit Mary Sue-ish at first. It certainly took some time for me to really get into the book, though I don't think I ever wanted to quit. And I really started to like Atticus along the way, especially in combination with Oberon.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #1545
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Mary Sue-ish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
Not sure if you're missing anything, but I do remember that I found Atticus a bit Mary Sue-ish at first. It certainly took some time for me to really get into the book, though I don't think I ever wanted to quit. And I really started to like Atticus along the way, especially in combination with Oberon.
Mary Sue-ish? Er....I hate to have to ask, but what does that mean? I like Harry Dresden, Rachel Morgan, Mercy Thompson and others in the genre because they care about people. But this guy Atticus says:

Quote:
“Aye, but they are unlikely to provide you much sport.” I was not about to defend them or beg for a stay of execution; the best I could do was imply that they were not worth the trouble.
That's just not very admirable in a supposed protagonist.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy