Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
CJEberhardt
CJEberhardt began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks (iPad, iPhone), Kindle
Question Marks Used in Book Title

I am converting an ePub I created to .mobi using "Kindle Previewer", and using "Send to Kindle" app to test the file. The title of my book uses a question mark (Are You Ready?), and when I convert the file the question mark becomes and underscore (Are You Ready_). I also tried converting using Calibre and the same thing happened.

I've tracked the issue to the <dc:title> in the content.opf (if I delete the question mark here but leave it everywhere else I use the title, there is no underscore). I have kindle books with question marks in the title, so I assume there is a way to convert the file so the question mark comes through correctly, I just can't figure out how.
CJEberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJEberhardt View Post
I am converting an ePub I created to .mobi using "Kindle Previewer", and using "Send to Kindle" app to test the file. The title of my book uses a question mark (Are You Ready?), and when I convert the file the question mark becomes and underscore (Are You Ready_). I also tried converting using Calibre and the same thing happened.

I've tracked the issue to the <dc:title> in the content.opf (if I delete the question mark here but leave it everywhere else I use the title, there is no underscore). I have kindle books with question marks in the title, so I assume there is a way to convert the file so the question mark comes through correctly, I just can't figure out how.
I couldn't reproduce your issue; I can see a final question mark in titles with my Kindle. Check the .ePub and .mobi below.

Regards
Rubén
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-31119.gif
Views:	229
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	112521  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Title Test.epub (2.3 KB, 152 views)
File Type: mobi Title Test.mobi (28.9 KB, 142 views)
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
CJEberhardt
CJEberhardt began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks (iPad, iPhone), Kindle
When I drag and drop your example .mobi file onto the "Send to Kindle" app (on a Mac if that makes a difference) the "Title:" shows "Are you Ready_". Even if I change the underscore back to a question mark before I hit send, the underscore still shows up on my Kindle Fire and in the Kindle app for iPad. Did you use "Send to Kindle" to load it onto your device? If so, Windows or Mac?

Thanks
CJEberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sounds like a bug in the "Send to Kindle" program. Clearly Kindlebooks can be created with question marks in the title (and can be displayed by the Kindle devices/apps with question marks in the title), so that only leaves one culprit.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJEberhardt View Post
Did you use "Send to Kindle" to load it onto your device? If so, Windows or Mac?
No, I uploaded the file with the USB connection. So, I think that DiapDealer was right, it must be a bug in the "Send to Kindle" program.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
No, I uploaded the file with the USB connection. So, I think that DiapDealer was right, it must be a bug in the "Send to Kindle" program.
Well, "send to Kindle" simply uses the PDS (Personal Document Service), which "converts" the file, as if you uploaded it at the KDP. Have you tried uploading the mobi file at KDP, to see what results you get in the Preview? I know we've made books with question marks in the title, and I don't recall any issues.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote